LimeSDR with Gqrx is working!

For frequencies < 30 MHz, use bandwidth 60 MHz (or 100 :slight_smile: )
For frequencies > 30 MHz, we can use 0 meaning auto. Other bandwidth values should also work, but some of them crash.

I have bees successful to operate the LimeSDR – Today i made my own comparisons …
I decided to tie the LimeSDR into the same place that my UHFSDR is – after the band pass filter (preselector on an Atlas350XL)

i used the Atlas350xl’s dial calibrator as a signal source to make a comparison of the uhfsdr and limesdr that would not drift with the Rx conditions.

levels on 40m Lime is only 15db down from my uhfsdr –

on 10mhz LimeSDR was only 12db below the uhfsdr

Odroid-C2/Limesdr settings — USB2.0

input 5000000
decimation 8
bandwidth 60mhz

After installing an attenuator between the crystal calibrator and the input of the band pass filter, which after that is the Rx ports of both the UHFSDR and LimeSDR …

When adding in 2db, both UHFSDR and LimeSDR dropped by 5db (on screen) and with 6db both dropped slightly more than 10db(on screen) … so it seems that the relative scale is similar

Wish the SDR programs i was using could display peek values for a more accurate measure (even if it is still not using a known level of signal - they are the same into each SDR)

I do wonder if the LNA of the limeSDR is closer in impedance to the crystal calibrator than the MIMC of the UHFSDR – giving a better signal than what one might get from a 50ohm signal source. These things i just don’t have.

Still a subjective test … but not coming up with a conclusion that the LimeSDr is deaf below 30Mhz … its just fine at 80M still …

And yet a more subjective response on my part – that i could make out what people were saying better with the LimeSDR than the UHFSDR in week Rx – the UHFSDR is using a 16bit ADC/DAC (well that’s what the CM-108 PDF says)

UHFSDR’s SDR program was Quisk if any one was wondering.

I tried the settings shown by sdr_reaserch and no joy. I tried SDRConsole V3, and it won’t find the LimeSDR. Itried it on Windows 7 (SDRConsoleV3, Lime Suite, Pothos, GNURadio, GQRX and Cubic SDR) and Ubuntu 16.04LTS (GQRX). My lime is dead in the water. Back in the box it goes.

Larry in El Paso

Did you build from Git … Im talking purely from Ubuntu16.04 32bit AND 64bit …

What led’s are shown … there are 4 …

mine shows 2 green(side by side) and a blinking red …(going from memory)

just to verify, you have SoapySDR working and Limesuite … and i mean the program running – not with the LimeSDR (well get to that later)

Output of lsusb should show something like

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1d50:6108 OpenMoko, Inc.

… even look at dmesg right after plugging in the LimeSDR to see if there is some kind of kernel panic

sorry, my LimeSDR/Odroid-C2 is powered off right now so i cant SSH into it to verify …

I did add the PPA’s … but did not install the list given, well except volk and a few others …

I like to shorten up the pre-requisites with a sudo apt-get build-dep gqrx-sdr … ect, ect …

USB3.0 or USB2.0 – kind depends becuase you need to be mindfull to the bandwidth through the USB port

Larry,

Before you throw in the towel, PLEASE make sure that you have the USB 3.0 resources (drivers) installed for the LimeSDR. Even though you may (or may not) be plugging it into USB 2.0 you still need the Cypress USB 3.0 drivers installed for your Lime to be detected by SDRConsole. Please ensure you have that done before you ship your Lime anywhere.

73 de Marty, KN0CK

I reinstalled on Windows7, PothosSDR-2017.2.04-vc14-x64 again. Ran Zadig to load driver for LimeSDR-USB. SDRConsole cant find LimeSDR. All the PothosSDR installed programs beep with a system (error-api-ms-crt-runtime … missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.) I would have thought it would be installed in the installer the first time.
The Linux was from the wiki.myriadrf.org PPA drivers in section 2.1 Ubuntu PPA. Other SDRs I have still work (HackRF One, RTL Dongle). Thanks Mike and Marty for your response.

Larry in El Paso

So … under Linux Ubuntu16.04 64bit – what im using

what is output of SoapySDRUtil --info

Need to divide and conquer what is --AND is not working.

kc7noaa@odroid64:~$ SoapySDRUtil --info
######################################################

Soapy SDR – the SDR abstraction library

Lib Version: v0.6.0-gb0ebaecf
API Version: v0.6.0
ABI Version: v0.6-dev
Install root: /usr/local
Search path: /usr/local/lib/SoapySDR/modules0.6-dev
Module found: /usr/local/lib/SoapySDR/modules0.6-dev/libLMS7Support.so
Loading modules… done
Available factories…lime, null,

I went into Synaptic and installed SoapySDR and several associated files. I had an error with the libsoapyosmodr0_0.4-myriadrf-xenial_amd64.deb. looks like the rest installed.

Larry in El Paso

Then your using solely from PPA …

Still … done in a terminal – what is the output of
SoapySDRUtil --info

I type SoapySDRUtil -info in the terminal window and nothing comes back. I have some broken packages I need to resolve in Synaptic.
Was there a better way than the PPA? I went with that one since it was the first one I saw.

Larry in El Paso

need to resolve the broken packages … though i would guess you have not met all the requirements to install…

i like to build from Git … so that i can go back through the cmake …/ output and see what is missing … then use either synaptic or apt-get to install what i have missing then try cmake …/ agian.

Larry,

Please visit this website ------> https://wiki.myriadrf.org/Lime_Suite

…and then scroll down to section 4.0 Hardware. There you will find the discussion on how to install the USB drivers for your LimeSDR. You MUST follow this or else your LimeSDR will not be recognized on the system. The installer packages aren’t enough - they’re after you have USB 3.0 resources installed.

Please review this information and then check to make sure within your Windows version that the LimeSDR is coming up in the list of hardware when it’s attached to your system.

Keep us advised on your progress and don’t give up hope…!

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Thanks Marty, I have that open on this machine in another tab under Windows 7. I finally got the Ubuntu to show the SoapySDRUtil to respond on another machine.-Thanks Mike

Larry in El Paso

What does – in ternminal –
LimeUtil --info

show

mine is like this …

kc7noaa@odroid64:~/Downloads$ LimeUtil --info

LimeSuite information summary

Version information:
Library version: v17.02.0-g9f22c3e9
Build timestamp: 2017-03-02
Interface version: v2017.2.0
Binary interface: 17.02-1

System resources:
Installation root: /usr/local
User home directory: /home/kc7noaa
App data directory: /home/kc7noaa/.local/share/LimeSuite
Config directory: /home/kc7noaa/.limesuite
Image search paths:
- /home/kc7noaa/.local/share/LimeSuite/images
- /usr/local/share/LimeSuite/images

Supported connections:

• PCIEXillybus
  • STREAM
  • uLimeSDR

kc7noaa@odroid64:~/Downloads$

Here is what I have on my Linux Box:
larry@larry-desktop:~$ SoapySDRUtil -info

Soapy SDR – the SDR abstraction library

Lib Version: v0.5.4-0.5.4-myriadrf1~xenial
API Version: v0.5.2
ABI Version: v0.5-2
Install root: /usr
Module found: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/SoapySDR/modules0.5-2/libHackRFSupport.so
Module found: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/SoapySDR/modules0.5-2/libLMS7Support.so
Module found: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/SoapySDR/modules0.5-2/libRedPitaya.so
Module found: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/SoapySDR/modules0.5-2/libairspySupport.so
Module found: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/SoapySDR/modules0.5-2/libbladeRFSupport.so
Module found: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/SoapySDR/modules0.5-2/libremoteSupport.so
Module found: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/SoapySDR/modules0.5-2/librtlsdrSupport.so
Module found: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/SoapySDR/modules0.5-2/libuhdSupport.so
Loading modules… linux; GNU C++ version 5.3.1 20151219; Boost_105800; UHD_003.009.002-0-unknown

done
Available factories…airspy, bladerf, hackrf, lime, null, redpitaya, remote, rtlsdr, uhd,
larry@larry-desktop:~$ LimeUtil -info

LimeSuite information summary

Version information:
Library version: v17.01.1-myriadrf1~xenial
Build timestamp: 2017-02-04
Interface version: v2017.1.0
Binary interface: 17.01-1

System resources:
Installation root: /usr
User home directory: /home/larry
App data directory: /home/larry/.local/share/LimeSuite
Config directory: /home/larry/.limesuite
Image search paths:
- /home/larry/.local/share/LimeSuite/images
- /usr/share/LimeSuite/images

Supported connections:

• NovenaRF7
  • PCIEXillybus
  • STREAM
  • uLimeSDR

Larry in El Paso

ok, looking ok to me so far …

before plugging in LimeSDR
in terminal –
lsusb

then plug in Limesdr – hopefully 2 lights go green with another flashing red (thats what mines does – memory)

Then in terninal – again
lsusb

… there should be a change/addition

My Windows 7 machine is still not launching any of the programs in the PothosSDR suite, I did the drivers first, downloaded/installed a new version from the wiki, it all goes boink with the system error.

Larry in El Paso

I dont know Windows … i cant help with that.

I use Linux/Ubuntu and i know how to walk through getting this, step by step (mostly).
Wife will be home soon and ill not be on the net so often after that.

Linux does not need special drivers to see if there is communication (detection) of a USB device.

I will flounder between the two OSs finding things in one that I like better than the other. My emergency recovery is done in Linux. My major surfing is in Windows.

Larry in El Paso