LimeSDR USB works fine but LimeSDR-mini will not work

I have the LimeSDR USB no issues I use it as my test device but the LimeSDR mini will not work for me.

when I run SoapySDRUtil --find I get the below response

Found device 2
addr = 24607:1027
driver = lime
label = LimeSDR Mini [USB 3.0] 1D3A0A6A68B1F5
media = USB 3.0
module = uLimeSDR
name = LimeSDR Mini
serial = 1D3A0A6A68B1F5

now when I run limesuitegui

Under connections my choice is (LimeSDR Mini [USB 3.0] 1D3A0A6A68B1F5)

when I select connect i get this response below in the logger window on limesuitegui

INFO: Connected Control port: UNKNOWN FW:0 HW:0 Protocol:0 GW:0 GW_rev:0 Ref Clk: 30.72 MHz

If you try to read the Device info in limesuitegui you get 00 or question marks

I tried to flash under the program menu with ver 1.1 but it fails. My board says 1.1

leds on limesdr mini is solid red with green flashing.

in the command terminal window I see this. I use a mac

libusb: warning [ep_to_pipeRef] no pipeRef found with endpoint address 0x01.
libusb: error [submit_bulk_transfer] endpoint not found on any open interface
libusb: warning [darwin_transfer_status] transfer error: timed out

what do you think?.

Thanks
Mike

Don’t think you can flash the Mini the same way you would the larger board.

Can you post details about the version of Lime Suite installed.

Version information:
Library version: v17.09.1-release
Build timestamp: 2017-12-02
Interface version: v2017.9.0
Binary interface: 17.09-1

System resources:
Installation root: /usr/local
User home directory: /Users/Mr_X
App data directory: /Users/Mr_X/.local/share/LimeSuite
Config directory: /Users/Mr_X/.limesuite
Image search paths:
- /Users/Mr_X/.local/share/LimeSuite/images
- /usr/local/share/LimeSuite/images

Supported connections:

• PCIEXillybus
  • STREAM
  • uLimeSDR

LimeUtil --find

• [LimeSDR Mini, media=USB 3.0, module=uLimeSDR, addr=24607:1027, serial=1D3A0A6A68B1F5]

Just spotted this — so you’re on a Mac? And the build looks quite old. Not familiar with the Mac install process. @IGnasJ, looks like this needs updating?

Could you please try the board out on a Windows or Linux computer.

Thanks for the suggestion I Just fired up a VM on the mac with Ubuntu installed the newer version of LimeSuite and guess what it shows the firmware in the device. Below is from the logger window in limesuitegui. I am going to update the limesuite on the mac side and see what happens. I will post back after I get it updated on the mac side.

[11:02:27] INFO: Disconnected control port
[11:02:34] DEBUG: Claimed Interface
[11:02:34] DEBUG: Estimated reference clock 40.0014 MHz
[11:02:34] DEBUG: Selected reference clock 40.000 MHz
[11:02:34] INFO: Connected Control port: LimeSDR-mini FW:5 HW:0 Protocol:1 GW:1 GW_rev:22 Ref Clk: 40.00 MHz

Newer version I installed on the VM

LimeSuite information summary

######################################################

Version information:
Library version: v17.12.0-myriadrf~xenial
Build timestamp: 2017-12-13
Interface version: v2017.12.0
Binary interface: 17.12-1

System resources:
Installation root: /usr
User home directory: /home/mlcarr
App data directory: /home/mlcarr/.local/share/LimeSuite
Config directory: /home/mlcarr/.limesuite
Image search paths:
- /home/mlcarr/.local/share/LimeSuite/images
- /usr/share/LimeSuite/images

Supported connections:

• PCIEXillybus
  • STREAM
  • uLimeSDR
1 Like

After testing on a Fusion VM on my MAC OS X with Ubuntu 17.10 and gnuradio the Limesdr-mini works connected through my MAC laptop on a USB 3 port. The issue is the MAC OS with the USB 3 port and the libusb driver. I am running MAC OS X 10.13.3 I tried to update the libusb but the issue did not change. The strange thing is the big brother LimeSDR USB works great with the USB 3 port. Below is the error being logged on the mini from the MAC OS X side.

So I think this is that when installing on Ubuntu you have a much more recent build of Lime Suite, whereas with the build on the OS X host you’re running a much older one which is no good with the Mini.

I updated LimeSuite to a newer version: v17.12.0 on the OS X no changes it just has an issue with the MAC OS and the USB port. I can only assume the Ubuntu in the Fusion VM bypasses the MAC OS use of the USB port. I will wait and keep an eye out as the LimeSDR mini is deployed to see if anyone else has the issue. I will do more research on the error below.

Thanks for responding.

Mike

Yes, it should pass it through as a raw USB device and leave it to the guest O/S to provide drivers etc.

I’m having the same issue here. LimeSDR works fine, but attempting to use the LimeSDR mini causes a whole bunch of libusb errors. I’ve tried to track down if there is a kernel driver being loaded for the FTDI device, but there doesn’t appear to be one. I also tried creating a codeless kext to make sure the kernel isn’t claiming the USB device, but that also didn’t help. I’m linking to a copy of the output to stderr when running LimeUtil --update with the environment variable LIBUSB_DEBUG=4 set.

Has anyone actually got the lime mini to work properly under Windows 64? There seems to be great confusion over what drivers are needed, what packages, what firmware and so on. My experience is not good. Simon’s SDR console works. SDR angel does not. Advice seems to be to download the rather bloated Pothos SDR package, which also does not work. The pothos wiki tells you to use Zadig to install WinUSB. I am not sure that is good advice. For one thing, its very easy to make a mess and secondly, it’s not the right driver.

I know the preferred environment is Linux and I am a stupid fool for trying to use Windows on occasion, or to hope for support, but the fact is that despite having my laptop dual booting into Linux or windows it’s a right pain to continually switch from one OS to the other and I want it to work with both.

Mike

@G0MJW.

Here is proof that the Lime Mini operates on Win64 and Ubuntu Linux 64-bit - please view the videos:

73 de Marty, KN0CK

I really don’t like youtube videos. I am more of a text person. Seems to be an increasing trend - rather than say, what there is a video to watch. However, good to see you have it working. But is not about it not working. Its about it not working consistently. And I don’t care about Linux, I know that works. This was specific to Windows. I seem to need to swap drivers if I want to use one package vs another. It’s almost as bad as Ettus, if that were possible.

SDRRadio v3 works nicely. SDRAngel does not want to know, it does not even detect the device but the LimeSDR works fine.

@G0MJW - Mike.

Okay, then here’s the text ------> The Lime-Mini operates perfectly on Windows 10, 64-bit using GQRX that comes installed with the Pothos package that can be downloaded at the following link:

http://downloads.myriadrf.org/builds/PothosSDR/?C=M;O=D

…provided that you install the Lime-Mini’s FTDI driver that appears in this link, too:

https://wiki.myriadrf.org/LimeSDR-Mini_driver_installation

There are videos that prove this, but since you’ll only believe text you’ll have to take my word for it. I’ve proved that it works beyond a reasonable doubt (the videos show this, too).

73 de Marty, KN0CK

1 Like

I am sure it works for you. However, GQRX does not work throwing an error message about entry point not found. IT does then open up but it can’t see the lime mini.I am going to see if I need to update the firmware.

Mine is showing LimeSDR-Mini FW:5 HW:0 Protocol:1 GW:1.22 Ref Clk: 40.00 MHz

Update - updated firmware. This made no difference. Pothos does not work, nor does GQRX, nor does LimeSuite - well that’s not quite true. It works after I set it up with SDRConsole. Otherwise they don’t receive any samples. SDRConsole itself, works fine. Checking the driver, its the right one, at least it is according to device manager.

Here is what Limesuite does after I run and shut down SDRConsole. Otherwise it does nothing.

@martywittrock You seem to be successful on Windows and I noted that you also said you were able to run on Linux. How are you able to operate using sdrangel or gqrx on Linux? Which version of the gateware are you running along with which version of LimeSuite? I believe I was able to get GQRX and SDRAngel to work once, but I have no idea what combination of settings or tinkering made it work that 1 time. Now I’m consistently getting CLKGEN errors, low VCO errors, or read timeouts. LimeSuite seems to be functioning correctly (after setting correct default settings) and FFT viewer is providing output so it seems that portion is working. I suspect there is some issue with the latest LimeSuite API / Soapy interaction.

Only LimeSuiteGUI is working properly for me. Here is the video for proof. Totally stuck on this and am in need of clues for things to try next.

1 Like

I guess I’ll throw my hat into the ring.

I have the LimeSDR Mini working with LimeSuiteGUI under both Windows 10, 64-bit as well as Ubuntu 16.04

But I can not get it running under GQRX under either OS, even following @martywittrock’s links.

1. I have the FTDI FT601 USB 3.0 Bridge Device drivers installed
  2. I have the LimeSDR Mini on version 1.24 of the gateway firmware
  3. I have GQRX installed via the PothosSDR-2018.03.12-vc14-x64.exe installer… that means GQRX is on version v2.10-8-gd348242
  4. I’ve tried all three of these device strings:
driver=lime,soapy=2
driver=lime,soapy=3
driver=lime,serial=1D3AD5752F4A5A,soapy=3
  1. I’ve tuned GQRX to a reasonable frequency (say 420MHz)

(Note that I’m not doing anything inside Lime Suite GUI before I launch gqrx. If gqrx and the drivers aren’t configuring the device correctly and we’re depending on Lime Suite GUI to do that for us, then that would be REALLY good to know)

When I hit play in GQRX, nothing appears on the waterfall.

What am I missing?

EDIT: Oh! I had forgotten to set the bandwidth! Thus, in GQRX, I had to set these values:

Device string: driver=lime,soapy=2
Input rate: 5000000
Bandwidth: 5.000000 MHz

Then once I had it tuned:

1. I pressed play and the waterfall started
  2. I set the Antenna on the Input controls panel along with the gain sliders to reasonable amounts for my setup.
  3. I could see signals I expected

It it did NOT start in #1, I shut down gqrx, unplugged and replugged the LimeSDR Mini and restarted GQRX following all those same steps.

Thanks for the help @martywittrock!

James

1 Like

So strangely enough I was able to get GQRX to work again cloning the latest LimeSuite from Gitub and compiling from source. After installation I was able to use GQRX running under the root user. I went back and re-installed the UDEV rules, but the gain settings don’t appear to be working correctly for some reason. I’ll need to research a bit more to see if there is something incorrect in the default rules, but otherwise this is a step in the right direction.

@hagster,

Please watch the following video:

When you view the video you will see that I zoom in to the card setting values. GQRX finds the Lime-Mini not as a LimeSDR device, but an Ettus Research device with Lime-Mini in its settings. Use those settings - DO NOT try use Lime-Mini or LimeSDR settings. It appears that only the Ettus Research settings work that GQRX assigns. Try that and see if you get different results running this from Windows.

73 de Marty, KN0CK