LimeSDR under SDR-Console

Bernard,

Done - check your inbox…

73 de Marty, KN0CK

@martywittrock, @nn4f_radio @SimonG4ELI

Hi guys, Quick question. Which of the RX ports do you have have your antenna plugged into to get SDR-Console to work? See my dillema at My Lime seems completely deaf.

Simon, excellent work by the way. I’m a HUGE FAN !!!

Thanks in advance,

Dave W7BOT

Dave,

Under SDRConsole V3.0 you have to select the antenna that you plan to use with your LimeSDR. In the ‘Home’ tab on the GUI there should be and ‘Antenna’ menu that you can select the antenna of choice for your LimeSDR. Click on that menu and select the LNA-H port and ensure that you have an antenna connected to RX1_H on your LimeSDR using the U.FL connectors (and make sure they’re secured on the board, too). Then turn on your LimeSDR using the START button on the GUI and wait until the receiver plays - then tune as appropriate to the frequency of choice.

Let me know if you’re good or still having issues with your LimeSDR - chances are REAL GOOD that this is just a cockpit error.

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Marty, thanks for confirming. That’s exactly what I would have expected. SDRC seems to be using receive channel 1. I’ve tried all 3 LNAs … RX1_H, RX1_L and RX1_W. There is no setting that produces expected results. The Lime (lemon???) is deaf on all LNAs and across all frequencies.

As a reference, I’m using a local FM broadcast station here on 106.500. I have a little scanner with rubber duckie directly next to the Lime, to make sure there a signal at that spot in my lab. The scanner receives that station S9+. See screenshot where it’s evident Lime hears NOTHING. And look across the band. There is a whole lot of noise all over the place, but nothing that looks like a 250kHz wide FM broadcast station. And there are (in reality) MANY bcst stns in that part of the spectrum.

The screenshot also shows I’ve got my other settings (gains, sample rate, etc) set to exactly match Simon’s personal setup, from a screenshot he kindly posted here for Paul a few weeks back when he was helping him get up-n-running on Console.

I wish you were right that this is probably just a silly cockpit error on my part, but I’m starting to accept the probable … that I was sent a dud!

Also, @leoha has kindly been working with me in my other thread My Lime seems completely deaf. There he posted a screenshot of what Windows GQRX (installed from pothosware) looks like for him, even without antenna connected. Plenty of stns. On mine, using exactly his parameters in GQRX … nothing, nada, nyet. Just noise floor with a few little spikes.

Finally, even with the native LimeSuite (no apps, no Soapy, etc), using the Receive function there I’m also flat-lining. This little board is just brain-dead.

Just confirm one last thing for me … there’s nothing special I need to setup in LimeSuite to initialize the Lime with some special setting before launching SDR-Console, is there? SDRC takes care of all setup/initialization that’s needed?

Thanks bud :slight_smile:

Dave W7BOT
Seattle

Have you run the Lime Suite GUI and used it to update both the FX3 firmware and FPGA bitstream?

Hey Andy @andrewback

Firstly, let me extend a heartfelt thanks for your continued involvement in helping us all. I see you in just about every thread, so you must be the MAIN MAN at Lime.org. Thanks bud … whatever they’re paying you, it’s not nearly enough :slight_smile:

To your question, does this look right? If that’s not how I answer the question, just say what I can do to confirm?

I managed to receive local FM stations on 2,4 GHz antenna. After Marty on FB instructed me about right USB driver under Win10. From your screenshot it seems that you need to reduce some gains… play with gains and let us know…
My LimeSDR is still without any firmware upgrade, so as is from the box…
9A4DB

Ok, I will. But as I said … I’m using same settings as Simon, and he wrote the software so he’ll know what works and what doesn’t. Given the scanner hears the 106.500 station at S9+, I would have expected a MUCH stronger signal on the waterfall I posted above, compared to all the other spikes that are stronger but where there is NO station in reality.

Is it possible my Lime is displaying the spectrum from some parallel universe?

Dave,

Please readjust your TIA, PIA, and LNA settings - they’re all well too low and really should be more toward 0dB or a little higher. At -12dB my Lime could look very similar. Please do that and then send those screenshots. Also, have you performed the MN18 or MN26 coil removal for the HF band (if you’re planning to use it in that range)? Please let me know that, too. Keep playing with it - don’t lose hope.

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Dave, this is mine, LimeSDR out of the box, no any mods or update…
my only concern is 50 C temperature without cooling. With active cooling approx 30 C

Thanks Djani. Yes, that’s exactly what I was expecting to see. Mine is completely dead compared to yours. Going to try now with your gain settings as @martywittrock suggested. Will get back to you both with results shortly.

Oh, and by the way. I see there are FAN pins on the PCB, so I think the Lime techs must have anticipated there would be need for active cooling :slight_smile:

RESULTS

Firstly,

No, my Lime is straight out-of-the-box V1.4

First screenshot shows my waterful with Djani @9a4db gain settings.
Second screenshot shows my waterfall with Marty’s @martywittrock suggestion, to increase gains to max.

All I seem to be doing is raising the noise floor. Note in both cases my tuning is centered on 106.500 which is a strong FM broadcast station here (have I said that before?). There’s almost NO blip there where there should be a MOUNTAIN.

Copying @moles here, since he contacted me earlier this morning, reporting the same symptoms on his board.

73s de Dave W7BOT

2 MORE

First screenshot is with NO ANT.
Second screenshot is with the little 2.4G antennas removed and replaced with 12 inch whip. Lime now has an antenna twice the size of the scanner rubber duckie and still no signal on 106.500.

This thing is going back !!!

98,2 looks like typical FM broadcasting, all other not.
When you select the antenna to none, all signals are gone or not?

Dave,

Not to completely doubt that the Lime could be a ‘Lemon’, have you tried the same experiments on the other antenna ports (LNA-H and LNA-W)? you may want to give that a shot - - pardon me if you’ve already performed those steps, but I’m trying to read all the threads and there’s a bunch of them and may have missed that. What I’m trying to determine is if the Lime is solidly dead (meaning non-responsive on all RX1 antenna ports) or if there are just selected antenna ports that are inactive. Lemme know here when you can…Just trying to rule out all the possibilities here.

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Yes, see LimeSDR under SDR-Console above where I confirmed I had treid (and am still trying) all 3 LNAs.

No worries. I know there’s a lot of back-n-forth right now. Thanks for all you’re doing :slight_smile:

Dave,

Okay - Just checking…I always hold out hope… :slight_smile:

73 de Marty, KN0CK

See above LimeSDR under SDR-Console for my NO ANT view

Dave,

I’m beginning to wonder if this isn’t some insidious tuning issue with your Lime or it’s unlocked somehow…You seem to have the ability to receive something from the two views compared, but it’s like the tuning is off or nonexistent. Well, no matter what something is amiss and unless you have other Hams in your region that have Limes that can do a quick compare on their setup it would seem reasonable to have Crowdsuppy turn yours to remedy that issue.

73 de Marty, KN0CK