My Lime seems completely deaf

Windows GQRX (installed from pothosware)

That’s exactly what I would have expected. Thanks for confirming. BTW, what are the settings you used in the ‘Configure I/O’ dialog? I’m about to try Windows GQRX (installed from pothosware)?

My settings:

Thanks, I see now I just needed to select Ettus Soapy … and it fills in all the rest. Works a charm. I have no audio. Do you? And of course, I still have a flat and empty spectrum.

I do have audio… you need to select mode from DEMOD OFF to WFM (stereo) for listening to FM radio stations.

Yeah, did that. All I get then is a bunch of wild clicking / chirping sounds from the speaker. There’s clearly nothing there for it to DEMOD?

This is how it looks on my end without even proper antenna:

You can see a bunch of FM radio stations and correct RDS decoding so I would assume there’s something wrong with your board :frowning:

W7BOT … i think your input rate is too high for your computer/USB bandwidth
audio in / out … on / off is some times a audio overrun … too much data from the Lime for the computer to process so it gets dumped and trys to catch up

Something is DEFINITELY wrong with my board. Here’s my screenshot for comparison. No stations whatsoever. The -40db signal mid-screen is always there for me, no matter what frequency I tune. It’s not a FM broadcast station. It’s there in SDR-Console as well, no matter what freq I tune … there’s always a -40db ‘blip’ in center-screen.

Thanks leo :slight_smile:

@kc7noa Hi Micheal, I don’t think it’s that. I’m using the same settings as @leoha. See screenshot.

My laptop is a I7-6700HQ running at 3gHz, 16GB RAM, USB3, nVidia GTX-1060. In SDR-Console I’ve set the same sample rate (30-35mHz) and the status row at the bottom of the app says my CPU and GPU are around 15% to 25%. SDR-Console gives me proper audio out, but no reception of any signals.

But I’ll try lower sample rates anyway … maybe down to 2-5mHz?

@W7BOT, I’ve just started testing my LimeSDR and I’m having similar problems to yours.
The self-test using on-board feedback worked as described but receiving external signals seems to not be working. Using gqrx from snap on Ubuntu I see only the noise floor and a very large DC spur in the middle of the spectrum.

I’ve played around with different bandwidths and sample rates but the result is similar.
If I select LNAH and raise the LNA/TIA/PGA gains some new spurs rise (e.g. at -10.9MHz) but they seem to be induced after the mixer since they don’t move when I change LO frequency.

I’m hoping this is a firmware or software problem as I’d rather avoid having to return the unit. Any suggestions are welcome.

Hi @moles,

Glad I’m not going mad. Thought I was the only one. I’ve got a group of experts engaged at LimeSDR under SDR-Console, including Andrew from Lime.org. Let’s see what that turns up.

I too, would prefer to NOT have to return the board :grin:

Your u.fl cable is good? Your usb ports have no issues? You have correct power to the board? Did you load the firmware or did it come with the most recent firmware/gateware? Try reloading the firmware and gateware.

I was able to receive Wi-Fi and LTE 2.6 signals very fine without any additional hardware mods. Try to use my Pothos SDR file in theme named “Pothos SDR source configuration example”.

I have got the same impressions from first use. But then I discovered how to use Pothos SDR. Try to use it and you will not be disappointed. Just get accustomed to use these tools properly.

Dave,

Your device string is WAY too long - - all you need to put in the Device String is this:

driver=lime,soapy=0

Also, the input rate should be set to 10000000

Bandwidth can be set to 0 for >30MHz operation. Anything less than 30 MHz the Bandwidth MUST be set to 100000000

Just reporting what is normal/typical for GQRX.

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Marty, had to create a new account on Discourse. Was telling me I can’t post anymore replies as a new user.

Ok, but I’m just following the settings of @leoha above at My Lime seems completely deaf and his setup works fine.

Dave,

I’m an ‘old timer’ on this Lime stuff (having been a Beta tester for over a year) and I’ve never seen a device string like that work on GQRX. The values I mentioned are what’s been working recently for both the Windows (which, by the way is new) and the Linux (which has been there since the beginning) versions…and by that I mean for Bandwidth and Input Rates…The Device String has not changed in over a year now. So it makes my skin crawl when I see anything more than the ‘driver=lime,soapy=0’ regimen using GQRX. I don’t think it would be doing anything to your receiver, but one never knows…

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Did what you suggested. Seems to make no difference. But then … mine is a crippled LimeSDR as we’ve seen afterall. Anybody reading this YMMV (you milage may vary)

u.fl cable - yes, have tried all 4 that came with my LimeSDR (I ordered and received the acrylic case and antennas)
USB - no issues. Working fine with LimeSuite, and a few apps like SDR-Console and GQRQ … fine except received signal.
Power to board - same as above.
Load firmware - see LimeSDR under SDR-Console