Xilinx FPGA version

Is there any limesdr board with Xilinx FPGA instead of ALTERA ??

About eight years ago there was a Novena laptop with a Xilinx Spartan-6 FPGA which used gateware to interface to a Novena-RF module. It was the older LMS6002D chip. That is the only SDR with a Lime Microsystems chip in that was accessed by a Xilinx chip, that I know about, but there could be more.

As far as I’m aware none of the current boards use a Xilinx chip, they are all Intel.

2 Likes

That’s right, not at present. Would be interested to hear why you are interested in Xilinx in particular though?

1 Like

In our company we are using Xilinx FPGA for a long time and it is very difficult to shift to other FPGAs.

I’m guessing that you are going to create a new product using a LMS7002M chip and a Xilinx FPGA.

Maybe reference the preexisting Novena Xilinx gateware for the LMS6002D chip.
Read the LimeSDR-USB ALTERA gateware design document. Read the datasheet, SPI Register Map and all documentation for the LMS7002M chip.

Reference the Intel document “FPGA Design Flow for Xilinx Users - Application Note AN-307”, but use the information provided in reverse. Or contact Xilinx(AMD) for similar information.

And finally only translate the bits that your project actually needs from the preexisting Altera gateware:
LimeNET-Micro or LimeSDR-USB or LimeSDR-Mini

It would mean using both sets of tools and learning a minimal amount about Altera(Intel) chips.

1 Like

We are planning to create new board for our applications.
I need NIOS II soft processor code, that I didn’t find in the documents.

Use Xilinx’s MicroBlaze ?

NIOS II is Altera(Intel) 32-bit softcore RISC
MicroBlaze is Xilinx(AMD) 32-bit/64-bit softcore RISC.
Both are closed source, and not going to be available to be licensed on their competitors FPGA.

Or you could use an open source Verilog, SystemVerilog or VHDL RISC-V core instead. There was a branch in github to migrate the LimeSDR-USB gateware away from the proprietary NIOS II to a RISC-V core, but has not been updated in 5 years, so I suspect it might be a dead end (anyone know more ?). Or look on opencores for other softcore options.

Thanks for the reply, I’m planning to use MicroBlaze because we use Xilinx FPGAs.

I found these pins on LimeSDR-USB schematic, however, these are not mentioned in the data sheet.
PSUB_TPAD_TRF
GND_TPAD_TRF