ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'limesdr'

I’ve got GnuRadio 3.8 installed from the PPA on Ubuntun 18.04LTS, and I’ve just compiled and installed the 3.8 branch of limesdr.

When trying to run a simple LimeSDR source into audio output, I get this error:

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘limesdr’

I can see when I run make install that it is picking up and installing to python3.

-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages/limesdr/_limesdr_swig.so
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages/limesdr/limesdr_swig.py
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages/limesdr/limesdr_swig.pyc
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages/limesdr/limesdr_swig.pyo
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/include/limesdr/limesdr/swig/limesdr_swig.i
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/include/limesdr/limesdr/swig/limesdr_swig_doc.i
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages/limesdr/__init__.py
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages/limesdr/__init__.pyc
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages/limesdr/__init__.pyo
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/gnuradio/grc/blocks/limesdr_source.block.yml
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/gnuradio/grc/blocks/limesdr_sink.block.yml

However, running it manually confirms no library present, and listing the modules in Python3 I can’t see any limesdr module.

Python 3.6.9 (default, Nov  7 2019, 10:44:02) 
[GCC 8.3.0] on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> help("modules lime")

Here is a list of modules whose name or summary contains 'lime'.
If there are any, enter a module name to get more help.

>>> 

One for @Garmus.

Hi @gcormier,

You need to add /usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages/ to the PYTHONPATH environment variable. In a terminal execute the following command and then from the same terminal start gnuradio companion

export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages/:$PYTHONPATH
gnuradio-companion

You could also add the export line to your ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bashrc and then logout and login.

1 Like

Thanks, that resolved the issue!

Next issue, I have a very simple LimeSDR source. samp_rate at 32k, frequency set to 106M (or 106e6, no difference), into a simple WBFM Receive and Audio Sink module. The values in the LimeSDR modules are the defaults otherwise.

LimeSuite version: 19.04.0-myriadrf1~bionic
gr-limesdr version: 3.0.0.0
##################
Device list:
Nr.:0 device:LimeSDR Mini, media=USB 3.0, module=FT601, addr=24607:1027, serial=...
##################
Reference clock 40.00 MHz
Using device: LimeSDR-Mini(...) GW: 1.30 FW: 6
##################

INFO: device_handler::enable_channels(): SISO CH0 set for device number 0.
INFO: device_handler::set_samp_rate(): SetFrequencyCGEN(4.096 MHz) - cannot deliver requested frequency

>>> Done (return code -11)

I’m not sure where it’s picking up 4.096MHz from nor why it’s failing.

Would suggest you start by running up the provided examples:

1 Like

That gets me going! Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

I received LimeSDR Mini 2.0 yesterday. I’m trying to use the FM receiver example as a simple test. The LimeSDR Quick Test is working just fine. I wanted to try GNU Radio 3.8 on Ubuntu 18.04 (I know this is old, but I want to try OpenAir Interface and instructions refer to this version). I have built everything from source including gr-limesdr for version 3.8. Everything is built but I am obviously missing something as I get the ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘limesdr’ error. I exported the PYTHONPATH as above, but still the error occurs. I assume I am simply missing this limesdr module somehow, but I don’t know where it comes from? Do you have any hints?

After many attempts I found that the limesdr module was in the following locations (using sudo find / -name limesdr):

/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/limesdr
/usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages/limesdr
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/limesdr

whereas the instructions at LinuxInstall - GNU Radio suggest it should be at:

usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages

The solution was to change these lines in the instructions from:

• echo 'export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages:usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages:$PYTHONPATH' >> ~/.bashrc

• echo 'export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages:usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages:$PYTHONPATH' >> ~/.profile

to:

• echo 'export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages:usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages:$PYTHONPATH' >> ~/.bashrc

• echo 'export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages:usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages:$PYTHONPATH' >> ~/.profile

Having got past this issue I am now able to run the FM receiver example in GNURadio. Now I am trying to figure why I cannot hear any sound output.

Many programs use the default antenna of “NONE” - So you hear nothing - antenna needs to be set to "LNAW’ to get output.

Thanks for the hint. It turns out that I did not have the VCO enabled (Lime Suite GUI by default has checkbox for VCO checked under Power Down Controls in top left of SXR tab). After changing this it started working.