LimeSDR under SDR-Console

@nn4f_radio, @SimonG4ELI , @martywittrock

Can you share your limesuite.dll that you are using?

It is compiled from the latest LimeSuite source code. Here is a link to compiled DLL file we used.

Again - we check it using signal generator. No issues. Have you chance to check it with a signal gen?

@jocover

Are you using LimeSuite GUI? If yes, then you have to set appropriate analog filter bandwidth manually, as shown in the picture.

Normal signal in 172.5Mhz

Normal signal in 173Mhz

Normal signal in 173.5Mhz

image signal in 287.5Mhz

https://discourse.myriadrf.org/uploads/default/original/1X/20a6fbb0c82ab3ca1f33cefda93de4030af932da.png

image signal in 288Mhz

image signal in 288.5Mhz
https://discourse.myriadrf.org/uploads/default/original/1X/0a025f38146cb2c341266781166c074267a5e005.png

hi zack
iā€™m build newest LimeSuite (version:17.01.1-g105446e6),using LimeSDR_Quick_Start example.ini config file ,and setting rx filter
But thereā€™s still a problem,and I found 173Mhz signal on 288Mhz
and 101.7Mhz FM signal on 18.3Mhz, 91.4Mhz FM signal on 28.6Mhz

I did a checkout of Zackā€™s limesuite.dll this morning with Simonā€™s latest version of SDRConsole and Iā€™m here to confirm that HF is working and tuning with those two items (Zackā€™s DLL, and Simonā€™s latest SDRConsole that was compiled on 2/2). HOWEVER there are STRONG images from the FM band that are wiping out everything from just above 30m all the way to the 12m band and possibly into the 10m band. See attached pics for activity on 40m this morning in Iowa, as well as a picture that illustrates the STRONG FM images affecting the upper HF bands:

Again, that last picture shows the strong images of the FM band affecting just above 30m to 12m and even into 10m. I will test more this evening to see how the lower bands play with better propagation. I did this testing JUST before I went to work. Also, the receive sensitivity in the 40m band seems low but it plays better with LNAH than LNAL antenna ports for some reason. Frankly, more testing is required to determine if this is a systemic problem that will have to be overcome with receive preamplification or not.

In other news, Iā€™ve just updated my Linux box with Ubuntu 16.10 (Yakkety Yak) and plan to reinstall all the LimeSuite and Soapy elements onto that Linux box to see how GQRX plays on the HF band with (presumably) the latest LimeSuite code using my shiny new LimeSDR (V1.4 HW). More on that later, too - - Stay tunedā€¦

Question for @joshblum or @csete: Does GQRX work with the new LimeSDRs when all the new Lime/Soapy packages for 16.10 (Yakkety Yak) are installed? Please advise - Iā€™ve been reviewing the packaging threads and have seen it both ways (crash or no crash)ā€¦Lemme know - thanks,

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Zack,

See my latest post in this thread LimeSDR under SDR-Console pertaining to your LimeSuite DLL and Simonā€™s SDRConsole - itā€™s working, but the FM images are still with us, and pretty strong, tooā€¦

73 de Marty, KN0CK

@jocover,

Iā€™ve confirmed this, too, in my thread: LimeSDR under SDR-Console

Iā€™m seeing FM images from just above the 30m Band (> 10 MHz) all the way into the 10m Band (28 MHz and up). Nice to know weā€™re seeing the same thing.

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Marty,

On HF make sure the analog filter is off. Select Ribbon Bar, Home, Radio Configuration, Low Pass Filter and disable the Analog filter - only for HF mind you. I will have this automagically disabled on HF with the next kit, but first letā€™s see how / if this helps.

@SimonG4ELI,

Can do - Iā€™ll let you know how that works when I get to the house after 5:00 PM Central here in the statesā€¦Midnight to you at your QTHā€¦ :slight_smile:

More to followā€¦Stay tunedā€¦

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Marty , im curious what is the Lo set to and the BW sampling set to ?

Looks like you need a decent filter. DX Engineering?

Mike,

I can check that later this evening and let you know - JUST tried this with @Zack 's new LimeSuite DLL and just seeing how it played for tuning - itā€™s working, but Simon has some settings I need to check, too, to see if that will help with the FM band issuesā€¦So please stay tunedā€¦

73 de Marty, KN0CK

@SimonG4ELI,

My other HF gear (and the RTL-SDRs that I outfitted with a Low Pass Filter in my HF Upconverter mod to seriously attenuate the FM band by 80dB and put those sticks on HF) arenā€™t too affected by the nearby FM stationsā€¦Just the Lime. But if the settings you sent me to try this evening help, then Iā€™m good to go. If not, then Iā€™ll just pull together the LPF design I used for the HF Upconverter right along with the 22dB gain MAR 8+ (Mini-Circuits) preamplifier to boost the gain on HFā€¦I did that awhile back with the V1.2 HW and it worked great. But I hope the settings you sent me can do that just as wellā€¦Stay tuned on thatā€¦

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Iā€™m seeing the same LOUD FM signals down at HF. There are a lot of strong FM signals here. Simon has seen a screenshot of 25 MHz BW covering the FM band from here in Burlington, VT.

I just ran my antenna through my HF tuner and that cleared up the FM issue as expected. One thing I am seeing is the LNA-H port (2 GHz - 3.8 GHz) appears to work better on HF?!?

Can anyone confirm?

Mike, N1JEZ

Mike,

I can confirm this - I saw that this morning when I started out using the LNA-L port and wasnā€™t very impressed with the signal quality and then switched over to the LNA-H port and it seemed about 5 - 10 dB better. So youā€™re not seeing things, thatā€™s what Iā€™m seeing, too.

Thanks for the tip on the tuner - I may try that to knock down some of the FM signals Iā€™m seeing just above 30m to well into the 10m band.

Thanks again for posting -

73 de Marty, KN0CK

@SimonG4ELI,

Tried unchecking the Analog Filter value and then moved up the band to see if the FM was still thereā€¦it isā€¦So, Iā€™m not seeing any improvement with that value checked or unchecked. Still seeing HUGE FM images in the >30m band to 10m bandā€¦So I located my Kenwood LF-30A Low Pass Filter and applied it between the antenna and the Limeā€¦Made a pretty fair change to the FM signals that were there - mostly gone, but still seeing some images that are strong. But I will admit that it improved things over what it wasā€¦I can at least see the 20m band now.

Are these images a function of the DLL still, like intermod that hasnā€™t been tamed in the SW yet? Let me know -

73 de Marty, KN0CK

@SimonG4ELI, @martywittrock

OK so I can confirm the last download from simon does work using the supplied limesuite.dll did not need zackā€™s

seems the signals are SO weak, I switched from the LNA-L to the LNA-H and got some signals on HF but even with the gains cranked all the way up, itā€™s like using a coat hanger for an antenna, and this is on a 4el HF beam at 60ftā€¦the switch to the LNA-H did help with the gainā€¦the usual HF powerhouse like RHC are merely an s4-5 at max, so YES sdr-console is working on HF out the box, but seeing BFM images like marty from 12mhz and upwardsā€¦ Oh and NO AM Broadcastā€¦think itā€™s going to need to major front end pre-amp for any reasonable use

I have a feeling there are going to be some VERY unhappy people out thereā€¦this is basically useless as a HF/SWL radio as it standsā€¦

Okay - having heard (and somewhat experienced) the issues Iā€™m seeing in the posts with receive sensitivity, I reprogrammed my V1.2 hardware to the latest versions of the firmware and used the V1.2 and V1.4 hardware to do a STRAIGHT comparison using SDRConsole. See the attached pics for my findingsā€¦

V1.2 Hardware:

V1.4 Hardware:

Iā€™m NOT KIDDINGā€¦The images you see are with SDRConsole at the SAME SETTINGS and itā€™s very obvious to me that there is AT LEAST a 10dB difference in gain between the V1.2 hardware and the V1.4 hardware. The signals on the V1.2 hardware (while not stellar, could use a preamp to help it along) is MUCH better than the V1.4 hardware for receive. Iā€™ve been running my V1.2 hardware for nearly a year now and it just seems more sensitive than the V1.4 hardware was when I first received my shiny-new LimeSDR.

Now I know that the input matching network was changed, but Iā€™ve also been seeing that there could be gain settings in the new LimeSDR code that could be at play here, too. Not sure - all I know is that Iā€™ve confirmed Paulā€™s (NN4F) claim that the receive sensitivity is not anywhere near what V1.2 was - and I have the hardware, and pics, to prove that now.

So, what happened? Is there going to be a fix for this? Please let us all know -

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Yeah, HF is really downā€¦ So I tried my High Sierra Microwave UpConverter. 1-55 MHz in and 134 to 188 out.

20 M is not too badā€¦ I did use the LNA-H input.

Mike, N1JEZ

Just tried the LNA_L input. Better.

Mike, N1JEZ