LimeSDR Transmit support

Transmission has been possible ever since the LimeSDR was released. There are lots of modes and standards which can be used: FM, AM, SSB, simple digital voice with Codec2, amateur television (DVB-T2, S2 etc.), GSM, LTE and lots of others.
The easiest way to start is to learn GNU radio which has almost all of the components required for a medium complexity Tx/Rx project. I wrote a sinple GNU/Linux application (90% based on GNU radio) to demonstrate how easy it is now to do SDR thanks to existing open source chunks of code. You can look at the source code to understand how things are glued together, but if you want to do something by yourself, then you have to write your own code.

I would not recommend looking into software defined radio if you are not willing to learn aboutā€¦ software :slight_smile:

Adi, YO8RZZ

1 Like

@Kc7noa - Mike,

Just like N1JEZ mentioned, LimeSDR (and I think the Mini) are on SDRAngel and transmitting fine. Take a look on YouTube and look for ā€˜LimeSDR SDRAngelā€™ - - I have about 3 - 5 videos out there of the LimeSDR transmitting on HF and VHF with SDRAngel on SSB and FM. Itā€™s been working for awhile now and the quality of the receive and transmit is on-par with other SDRs that are being used as transceivers. If you need more info let me know - I can get you started on that. I was hoping that SDRConsole would be ready by now since Simon started working on transmit for that almost 16 months ago, but got derailed on other paying gigs (Apache Labs among others) and hasnā€™t taken up the LimeSDR again since then. I think itā€™s safe to say that effort is in deep freeze right now, but SDRAngel continues to improve with a web interface being the latest add-on (which I think will really blow the doors off anything thatā€™s out there).

Just so you know - 73 de Marty, KN0CK

I do need help ā€¦

I have a few different computers to try ā€¦ though the laptop is going to be the easyest to software upgrade ā€¦

All USB2.0 ā€¦ can you try what ever you have working with USB2.0 and not USB3.0 ?

1 Like

@Kc7noa - Mike,

For the first time in about 2 1/2 months I got the LimeSDR set back up on my PC (Windows 10 platform running ZADIG driver) and had SDRAngel running on USB 2.0 (I do have USB 3.0 on this machine, but I tried it to see if I could even get it to work). As it turns out, USB 2.0 works fine with the Lime using SDRAngel on receive. I havenā€™t tried transmit yet, but Iā€™ll try it out later and let you know how it goes. Iā€™m on vacation today and getting ready for a camping trip over the weekend, but I will report back at the very latest on Sunday night if I donā€™t have it earlier.

Stay tunedā€¦73 de Marty, KN0CK

Quick question, go by this time when you see this I bet you would have already tried it when you start the TX when you hit the play button does your data throughput hang out at 100% or does it stay lower. I guess youā€™re fifo bufferā€¦ I guess thatā€™s what itā€™s called . I can run 12 megabits a second through my USB on receive and then have 0% fifo but on transmit the thing just pegs so I just kind of curious if thatā€™s what youā€™rs does as well

Well ā€¦ i had purchased a PCIe to USB3.0 card and it comes as a PCMCIA to USB3.0 adapter/bridge ā€¦

Obviously I canā€™t use that on my desktop but it did install it into my laptop.

My laptop now maxes out around 55Ms/s on the USB bus ā€¦ slightly above what this misstake card shown on it.

I can Tx now ā€¦ its odd though ā€¦

If i run the sample rate down to 1.5Mb/s i can still Tx/Rx ā€¦ and that sample rate is well within the USB2.0 specifications ā€¦ but using a USB2.0 port i get about 1/4 second of Tx waterfall and stops ā€¦

I thought it was my display hardware or drivers for display were the issue but if that was the case there would be no diference on USB3.0 / USB2.0 and it clearly works on USB3.0 .

1 Like

I have also added a Nec/Renesas D720202 mPCIe to USB3.0 cardā€¦ and with some trouble ā€¦got Tx on a laptop that had no USB3.0 port.

Had to disable legacy usb support in BIOS ā€¦ but oh well