Lime SDR & Antenna

Hi ,

I have Lime SDR and looking for antenna to be attached with it to start my process. Could anyone tell me the all the possible antenna options (name of antenna) to work with LimeSDR in different frequencies specifications.

You can use the ANT500 or ANT700 by GreatScottGadgets wich work in the sub ~1/1.1GHz band. I’m buying a LimeSDR this weekend and I’m also going to buy some antennas from DigiKey. I’ve done a lot of research and this the is order that best suits my needs (wideband antennas for different applications and some GSM/LTE/CDMA and GPS antennas). Here are the links. The total is just a bit above 50€ so the shipping will be free (if under 50€ the shipping would be around 18€). I chose DigiKey because it ships from Europe and I’m in Portugal.

2x http://www.digikey.pt/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=230878351&uq=636332181267968512
2x http://www.digikey.pt/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=230878361&uq=636332181267968512
1x http://www.digikey.pt/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=230878365&uq=636332181267978512
2x http://www.digikey.pt/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=230880795&uq=636332181267978512

Have a look and find what best suits you.

1 Like

@FFY00 : Thanks for your reply. I am wondering if there is any option for antenna for 3.4 GHz frequency ? Thanks.

@Aarti_18 That first wideband antenna has a center frequency of 3.4GHz and it’s the only I’ve found at DigiKey, Just beware that it is a PATCH antenna, it’s very sensible and it’s supposed to be installed in a close environment like a case.

@FFY00 : Thanks alot. It is good to know different options. When I am clicking on all the links above, it is taking me to the main page of Digi-key. There is no specific antenna I can see on the page. I am checking on the RF antenna section now to see what are the options available for the 3.4 GHz band. Thanks Alot for your reply. It is really appreciated.

@Aarti_18 There are the names of all the antennas as long as the part number. Search them in your local DigiKey website.

2x Taoglas Limited FXUB66.01.0150C (931-1221-ND) <- Wideband antenna for general use (center freq is 3.4GHz)
2x Taoglas Limited TG.08.0113 72MM (931-1379-ND) <- Multiband antenna for cellular communication and GPS
1x Adafruit Industries LLC 960 (1528-1170-ND) <- High-Gain GPS antenna
2x Pulse Electronics Corporation W1900 (553-1697-ND) <- General GSM/WCDMA antenna (I’m just buying this to hit the 50€ mark, otherwise it would be those 44€ + shipping 18€)

1 Like

@FFY00 : Thanks alot for the Informartion . So in short we can use any of Antenna as given above with Lime SDR ?

Yes, you can. You just need to choose the one that best suits your application. When buying an antenna for the LimeSDR you just need to make sure they have an 50ohm impedance, which almost all the antennas used for general RF applications have. TV generally uses 75ohm so you shouldn’t worry unless you’re buying an TV specific antenna.

I end up buying just 3 different antennas.
2x Taoglas Limited FXUB66.01.0150C <- That wideband antenna
2x Taoglas Limited TG.08.0113 <- The multiband antenna
2x Taoglas Limited TG.09.0113 <- GSM antenna (the same as offered in the crowdfunding campaign packs)
Also ordered an SMA to U.FL cable just to hit the 50€

They were already shipped so I should receive them in 2-3 days. If you have any question about one of these antennas I will be happy to help.

1 Like

@FFY00: Perfact ! Thanks alot for your time. I really appreciated.

1 Like

No problem. If you still have any questions feel free to ask.

TV/cable is typically 75 ohms, I’m just correcting because I hate seeing misinformation, call it OCD, I apologise already.

1 Like

No problem. It was a typo, I’m gald you spotted it :joy:

@FFY00 : Hi, I want to know is there any way I can know the attenuation and transmission range for all the respective antennas which you mentioned above. Thanks.

@Aarti_18 that information isn’t provided there and I can’t test it until receive my limesdr. I could test the attenuation with an rtl-sdr but I didn’t order a noise source yet (I’m planing to).

@FFY00 : Thanks for information.

@FFY00 : Hi, I want to know if it is possible to have RPE value for this antenna https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/nearson-inc/F145AM-3500S/730-1021-ND/2075352, which you mentioned in your list above ?

Thanks,
Aarti

@Aarti_18 Sorry, what is RPE. I haven’t been with rf much time, at least with this kind of hardware specifications. I didn’t mention that particular antenna in the list. The antennas I ordered (and received like 1 week ago) are:
2x Taoglas Limited FXUB66.01.0150C <- That wideband antenna
2x Taoglas Limited TG.08.0113 <- The multiband antenna
2x Taoglas Limited TG.09.0113 <- GSM antenna (the same as offered in the crowdfunding campaign packs)

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Yes, you mentioned all the antennas of Taoglas Manufacture. Sorry for confusion :confused:
The one which I pointed out here that is which I ordered as per my requirements.
Even I am quite new to this field, all I know is that the Radiation Pattern Envelope which specifies antenna gain characteristics. It is based on the Co-polarization and Cross-polarization of the antenna angel and attenuation pattern.
I believe this information is given by Antenna manufacturer but I couldn’t able to find anything related with this antenna characteristics for all the antennas mentioned above.

@Aarti_18 Yes, that information is in the datasheet of my Taoglas antennas. In the datasheet of your antenna they specify that the polarization is vertical but they don’t have a map like Taoglas. If the gain isn’t 0 there should be some kind of map about the antenna coverage, I couldn’t find it either.

ftp://ftp2.nearson.com/Drawings/Antenna/F145AM-3500S.pdf

1 Like

Thanks for the information,. Yes, exactly, that what my point is that if the gain is specified with some values then there should be the information regarding RPE and antenna radiation pattern by manufacturer.

Thanks.

1 Like