Getting started with LimeSDR

Hello,

Iam new to LimeSDR. I would like to transfer some data from PC using a board which is configured as a transmitter and receive it using another board which is configured as Receiver. I would like to know the following details for this:
1.Hardware that i would need.
2.Softwares that i would need. It would be nice if the entire software is available as a package. Iam using Windows 10 x64 PC.
3.Documentation to get this done.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna

What data? Text messages? File transfer? TCP/IP?

What bandwidth?

What band?

How far?

You need to be more specific.

Hello,

Our aim is to send Text data at different frequencies and find the range corresponding to each frequency. As I already said, we are new to SDRs and we purchased two LimeSDR-USBs. We followed the steps mentioned in the following link:
https://wiki.myriadrf.org/LimeSDR-USB_Quick_Test
and succeeded in performing the Loopback Test. But from Section 4, we are not getting the results as documented. I think we are lacking some hardware or some software. Please let me know more about this.

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna

I’m not sure that there is some turnkey package you can simply install for this and like a lot of niche applications, building something using GNU Radio might be a good approach. In which case you’re probably best asking such questions on their mailing list, since it’s not specific to any particular SDR hardware and rather instead a question of putting together the application.

If going down this route please make sure to use the gr-limesdr source/sink blocks in GNU Radio and don’t use UHD or gr-osmosdr blocks. Should any questions arise concerning driving the hardware we can support you with gr-limesdr, but not with the other two.

This self-test method is deprecated and could you please run the LimeQuickTest instead to verify correct operation of the hardware.

Hello,

I tried running LimeQuickTest.exe and it showed test passed many times. But sometimes, Iam getting Test Failed. Please let me know why this is happening. For your information, Iam not using a fan.

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna

If I remember correctly, test parameters are set for performance when cold and with no antennas attached, hence once it warms up through use and with no cooling, the performance may fall just outside this and a test may be marked fail, but with only very minor degradation.

Hello,

So we need to have antenna and fan for performing the test right? Also can you let me know why we couldnt get the expected waveforms in receiver and transmitter test as mentioned in https://wiki.myriadrf.org/LimeSDR-USB_Quick_Test
Is it because we are lacking something else? We followed everything from step 4 (Receiving a signal) from the above document. We didnt find the same FFT as mentioned in the link. We found some frequency component at a frequency close to 1Mhz but dont know what is the frequency of the signal transmitted. It is nowhere mentioned in the document. Please let me know whether Im doing some mistakes.

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna

When running LimeQuickTest you must have no antennas connected.

Not sure about that. @Zack, could you advise?

Hello,

Yea we havent used antennas as we havent bought it. We dont have fans also. I understand that this might be the reason that the quick test was failing. Thanks for your comments on this.
Also, please route this discussion to someone who can answer why the receiver and transmitter tests were not working as expected. Many Thanks!

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna

Hello,

Are there any updates?

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna

Hello Andrew,

Please connect me with someone who can help me understand this.

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna

Could you be more specific on this, please. Could you post some print-screens of the results.

Hello Zack,

I followed the steps mentioned in section 4 of the below guide.

https://wiki.myriadrf.org/LimeSDR-USB_Quick_Test

When the input source was ADC, I got the following in the FFT viewer

When the input source was test signal, I got the following in the FFT viewer

I have a doubt whether Iam doing things properly or not. As you can see that in both the screenshots, the Tx rate is 0. For your information, I havent used any antenna. Also, I have only performed steps from 4.1 to 4.7 of the guide mentioned above. Please let me know why the transmission is not taking place. Also, why these FFT viewers are showing different behaviour compared to that shown in the guide mentioned above.

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna