Running LimeSDR on Win 10 using VirtualBox/Ubuntu - It's possible

I’ve been fighting to get my LimeSDR Mini working all weekend, just found this with the preconfigured VM. Figured I would use that to test my SDR and prove it works then compare to my Mint 18 install to see what’s different.

Unfortunately with the VM provided I’m not having any more success, it gives GQRX “No audio FFT data” and I can’t pick an antenna because the dropdown is empty.

It does detect it in the VM as a USB3.0 LimeSDR like posts suggest should work.

I’m now starting to wonder if the SDR needs some specific firmware…anyone know?

@mmiller7 - Matt,

The VDI that I posted in 2016 is based on a very old version of Ubuntu (15.1) and an even older version of LimeSuite and LimeSDR drivers that will be incompatible with your LimeSDR. I will pull both of the VDIs I know about and remove them permanently - they just won’t work with your LimeSDR. However, here is what I use to set up a new VDI based on the latest installation of LimeSuite and all the latest LimeSDR drivers for the latest install Ubuntu once you get that installed into the VDI:

Set up the build environment:

sudo mkdir -p /opt/build
sudo chown user:users /opt/build
sudo mkdir -p /opt/install
sudo chown user:users /opt/install

Dependiencies for LimeSuite:

sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:myriadrf/drivers
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install limesuite liblimesuite-dev limesuite-udev limesuite-images
sudo apt-get install soapysdr-tools soapysdr-module-lms7

#soapysdr-tools use to be called just soapysdr on older packages
sudo apt-get install soapysdr soapysdr-module-lms7

…From there you can install any application you want and you can also use the terminal commands for both SoapySDR and LimeUtil.

Hope this helps - let me know if there are any questions or comments -

73 de Marty, KN0CK