PiHPsdr

Marty,

I notice that you are running SoapySDRUtil as root. Not sure why but you should also run pihpsdr as root then. Better yet, install the udev rule to /etc/udev/rules.d/ and run it as a regular user.

Also note the libusb warning, which may result in failure the next time something is trying to open the device. I have that problem with gqrx too.

Alex,

Thanks for the tips - Iā€™ll make that happen sometime this morning. Is the libusb issue something that will be persistent or is it fixable? Lemme know, and thanks again for the info, Alex - :slight_smile:

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Iā€™m not sure, I would think either the liblimesuite or the SoapyLMS7 library does not close the device on exit. Maybe @joshblum can say more about it.

@csete,

Alex - just tried running SoapySDRUtil --find as a regular user and the app whined about the libusb issue. So I tried it again two consecutive times as root and it worked fine - saw my Lime. I then launched pihpsdr as root and in the discovery mode - - no joy. Still canā€™t see my Lime.

Can you refresh my crumbling memory on the UDEV rules again - - I want to make that change.

Thanks for the info as I roll along here, Alex -

73 de Marty, KN0CK

there is a script in the LimeSuite directory tree to install the udev rules

called udev-rules of all things ā€¦

Indeed :slight_smile:

I would also recommend to power cycle the device after the udev rule is installed because the --reload-rules does not always work.

Nor does sudo ldconfig ā€¦
I have had that not be 100% ā€¦ with installing cmake 3.8
reboot linked it in ā€¦ what a pain, Linux is not supposed to be reboot dependent i thought ā€¦

No OS is reboot independent, though the Unix derivatives are way better about it than MacOS or Win ever were.
You can usually avoid it by updating the paths (LD_LIBRARY and PATH) by hand as that is usually why the reboot. Most times just logging out and back in again or opening up another xterm and running it from there will cover it.

Mike / Alex,

Ran the shell script for UDEV-RULES and rebooted the Piā€¦Then launched pihpsdr but during the discovery phase itā€™s only looking at Ethernet to discover devices - itā€™s like it doesnā€™t know (or itā€™s not configured) to look on the USB resources. I looked in the terminal window after it performed a discover and it just searches the ETH0 portā€¦Doesnā€™t even touch USB for some reason - I have to think this is either a makefile selection or that the functionality isnā€™t mature yetā€¦

Comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciatedā€¦ :slight_smile: ā€¦Because I thought pihpsdr was setup for USB, tooā€¦?

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Pihpsdr is setup for USB if you enable limesdr support in the Makefile. I donā€™t know what else could be. As I wrote when I tried, I used a PC and didnā€™t really get any usable functionality out of it. Not worth spending too much time IMO.

1 Like

@csete,

Alex - Yeahā€¦It was just going to be a perk for me since I have it working REAL well on the Red Pitays SDR. I wanted to see how the Lime differed from the Red Pitaya and also get real transmit capability from pihpsdr since there are few Amateur Radio apps that are operational now for transceiver operation - pihpsdr might have been the first out of the chute to provide that.

Guess Iā€™ll hang tight until John (G0ORX) works on it some moreā€¦

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Yea, i wonder if there is a DEV else where ā€¦ is he the only one working on pihpsdr ā€¦

Might try changing the build environment to odroid the the Makefile ā€¦ not sure how different the RsPi3 is from 1/2 and C0/1

Forgot to ask ā€¦ does SoapySDRUtil --info show more than 2 devices ?
lime,null

if there is more i donā€™t think pihpsdr will see limesdr installed ā€¦

I once had SoapyAudio installed and once i removed it ā€¦ the Lime was discovered by pihpsdr ā€“

pihpsdr needs some work with its detection code.

kc7noaa@odroid64:~/Downloads/pihpsdr$ SoapySDRUtil --info
######################################################

Soapy SDR ā€“ the SDR abstraction library

######################################################

Lib Version: v0.6.0-gb0ebaecf
API Version: v0.6.0
ABI Version: v0.6-dev
Install root: /usr/local
Search path: /usr/local/lib/SoapySDR/modules0.6-dev
Module found: /usr/local/lib/SoapySDR/modules0.6-dev/libLMS7Support.so
Loading modulesā€¦ done
Available factoriesā€¦lime, null,
kc7noaa@odroid64:~/Downloads/pihpsdr$

From the screenshot, it looks like there is an uncaught exception caused inside limesuite (UploadAll). The util doesnt cleanup the handle because it exits early. Iā€™m concerned about the UploadAll faling. Thats just trying to sync the register cache to the chip. Thats like a usb link issue or something. I would see if some errors are showing up in dmesg.

But we are closing the handles under normal circumstances:

1 Like

Mike,

Nope - when you look at the pics I did on a Soapy Find all I get is one instance of the LimeSDR because I didnā€™t want to have the Red Pitaya fighting with the Lime - - doing an isolated checkout to see if Soapy works, then when it does Iā€™ll add Red Pitaya in there to see how that goes for multiple radiosā€¦But this definitely looks like a PiHPSDR application issue - - itā€™s not discovering Lime on USB because (my theory) is that thereā€™s only Ethernet discovery so farā€¦Wish I had an Ethernet to USB adapter for the Limeā€¦Iā€™d actually try that to see if discovery works that wayā€¦Stay tunedā€¦

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Its kinda odd that it works on my system but not yours ā€¦

gqrx is working , so should pihpsdr ā€¦ ā€” well, find and launch.

1 Like

Mike,

Do you think that if I uncommented the ODROID environment and compiled it, it may perform the discovery right? Itā€™s worth a shotā€¦Pi is arm-based, but there are probably system reasons in the lib files that may preclude it from working right. Lemme know what you thinkā€¦

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Your not going to hurt anything by commenting out rasberry and un-commenting odroid ā€¦

I never looked at the differences ā€¦

what is the terminal output of pihpsdr ?

Mike,

Sorry for the delay in getting back with you - - I expect to get onto compiling this on my RPi3 tomorrow nightā€¦Right now Iā€™m pretty busy with the laser engraver at the moment (engraving product at night).

Stay tunedā€¦

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Im had some slight progress ā€¦

I got some screeching , digital sounding noise out of my speakers ā€¦

Also if you get stuck with this issue ā€¦