New Quick Test guide

OK, I think I’ve got LimeSuite installed on my (OSX Sierra) Mac server… The installation instructions seemed to be OK - apart from that installing ‘homebrew’ and issuing the following commands:

“brew tap pothosware/homebrew-pothos
brew update
brew install limesuite”

didn’t seem to install the ‘wget’ command. No biggie, a quick:

“brew install wget”

solved that issue.

The only other ‘problem’ I’ve encountered so far, is that (as Sabine T and rast have mentioned) the ‘Calculate’ and ‘Tune’ steps on the SXT tab - and, it appears, on the CLKGEN tab - required the ini file to be reloaded to avoid an error message and to sucessfully complete the process.
The only other thing I noticed (that wasn’t evident on the Windows install) was that at step 3.5 where you enable RF loopback, the form opens initially with both the ‘Ch.A Shunt’ and Ch.B Shunt’ boxes pre-ticked. (they are unticked in the Windows install, and are shown unticked in the guide).

I haven’t yet managed to try steps 3.6 and onwards, but hope to get to that later in the week (work seems to be getting in the way of my hobby activities, unfortunately :wink: ).

Stay Tuned…

I was having the same problem as SabineT on my mac and this advice fixed my issues, thanks!

Should I be concerned that during my ‘testing’ the limesdr board was reading temps of about 68C? Idling it seems to sit at about 58C.

The temp on my unit also reads high on the LimeSuite also into the mid 50’s. I wonder if this is an artifact of the homebrew build because I don’t see any window users with the temp issues in the mid 50’s or problems with having to reload the config file to get the ‘calculate’ set to work in the check out procedure.
Just a hunch???[quote=“pid, post:22, topic:636, full:true”]
I was having the same problem as SabineT on my mac and this advice fixed my issues, thanks!

Should I be concerned that during my ‘testing’ the limesdr board was reading temps of about 68C? Idling it seems to sit at about 58C.
[/quote]

I must appreciate limeSDR-USB_quick_test is really useful . As you mentioned for Receiving signal , In the ‘example.ini’ file the receiver is configured to use ‘RX1_L’ input . That is working perfectly for me . but for Transmitting a signal which output to Spectrum Analyzer is configure in the ‘example.ini’. ???

Best Regards
FRK

Thanks Sabine, you saved my day on MacOS, loading self_test.ini twice solved the issue for me, it is running properly now!

One question, did you get SDR console under parallels desktop running? I did not so far…

gr Michel

I’m finally getting a chance to play with the LimeSDR. I’m using the BladeRF to receive any signals the LimeSDR is transmitting.

One thing that would be wonderful to see added to this quick test is a little more “dumb-ed down” instructions and notes. The first time I opened Lime Suite GUI I was shocked to see the… confusing… UI!

If nothing else, I’d like to see which TX ports I should attach an antenna to. I’d assume transmitting into a null load is not a good idea for the health of the TX output so I would guess this is important information to include.

Which of the four TX channels (TX1 Low and High, TX2 Low and High) should have something connected for tests? All four? One for each channel matched to the current TX frequency?

Any chance this kind of information can be added to this quick start guide?

Thank you! I look forward to playing with this thing more!

This is a great guide and I run through it after I’ve upgraded firmware and fpga. However, it would be simpler with a self checking script. Did anybody develop a similar self test script?