LimeSDR XTRX PCIe Adapter Board

Will the “PCIe x2 + Front End Adapter” also be available ?

Not initially, but I’m sure it could be if there is sufficient demand.

1 Like

Do you have any plans for production?
If my understanding is correct, the XTRX used reserved pins as PCIe lanes (PCI_RX1 / PCI_TX1).
So, the XTRX with normal PCIe x1 to mPCIe convert card can’t achieve 120 MSPS SISO / 90 MSPS MIMO.
https://limesdr-xtrx.myriadrf.org/documentation/board-description#mini-pcie-edge-connector

@andrewback : +1 for a “PCIe x2 + Front End Adapter” for us also. If we could get back at least what the former LimeSDR USB was able to do, my company could switch back to LimeMicro product. Actual LimeXTRX, how interesting it may be on paper, lacks mPCIE support in many PC motherboards

We are looking into this and hope to have some news soon.

Moved posts on this to a new topic as it was at risk of getting lost in amongst other unrelated posts.

By way of a brief update: we should be testing the first boards in the coming weeks.

2 Likes

Earlier today I pinged across an e-mail to those on who commented with interest in the PCIe adapter board. Should this still be of interest if you could get back to me ASAP, as I may be able to get a prototype board to you.

1 Like

I recently purchased the xtrx board and have the same issue and was wondering if I can still order this adapter? where can I find it?
thanks

There should be an announcement go out within the next couple of weeks, at which point ordering will open up. We’re just in the process of confirming a few final details.

1 Like

Hi Andrew,
Sorry for possibly stupid question, but is it this adapter which you’ve been referring to LimeNET Micro 2.0 Developer Edition | Crowd Supply or is there something else being in development?

No, it’s a regular PCIe x4 board with a mPCIe socket. which routes both lanes of PCIe from the LimeSDR XTRX. It also features a header connected to pogo pins for easier FPGA JTAG access.

There will be two versions of this board on sale: one with just the aforementioned features, and another build which also has an integrated 2x2 RF front-end (LNAs, drivers and TDD switching) with very similar specs to that on the LimePSB RPCM board used in LimeNET Micro 2.0 DE kit.

2 Likes

Are mechanical dimensions readily available for the XTRX mounted on a this adaptor board? I am considering stuffing this into a customised laptop. Do you think that cooling will be a challenge in this case?

We should have the PCIe adapter board outline dimensions, but I’m not sure about the combined height with the LimeSDR XTRX fitted, which will increase again when U.FL cables are connected. @Zack may have the board outline size.

You can fit a full size PCIe card in this laptop? In any case, the XTRX will get warm, as will the RF amplifier devices on the adapter board if you get the version which has these populated. We’re not talking a huge amount of power dissipation by any means, but it’s impossible to say whether this will be an issue in your case and I would assumed that you’ll need at least some small amount of airflow across the boards.

Thanks. This was useful as it pushed me over the tipping point in going for a mini-pc dedicated to the XTRX support providing Ethernet connectivity and storage; a flexible compromise between portability and reliability.

Well, I mean a LimeSDR XTRX by itself may be fine in a laptop with mPCIe, but it’s hard to say for certain. There are all sorts of factors, like airflow or lack off and potential for there being hot components nearby, plus SDR throughput based on the target application. Most laptops will have a fan which pushes air through, but the thermal properties will of course vary.

Hi Andrew,
Is there any updates on the status of this adapter?

I’ve located an industrial mini-pc with fan and both mPCIe and a PCIe(x4) slot which I hope to order and assess as a platform before I receive an XTRX. I am a bit (although not greatly) concerned about the thickness of the XTRX mounted on the adaptor card. I hope that I can obtain this information prior to ordering this PC. In parallel, I am trying to get a photo or drawing of the PCIe slot from the PC manufacturer.