"Snappy Ubuntu Core" and Host Driver

Hello!

Trying to interface the card with Ubuntu with no much success, I would like to easily have it working with GNURadio to start with.
Also the link on https://www.crowdsupply.com/lime-micro/limesdr to the “Snappy Ubuntu Core” is broken.

Can you please assist?

Cheers!

I am not familiar with snappy ubuntu core, does it correspond to a specific version of Ubuntu?

I am using it on Xubuntu 14.04 as per the instructions given in the thread LimeSDR setup with GnuRadio. In a few days our PPA should have the drivers for both Ubuntu 14.04, 15.10 and 16.04.

Thanks for that.

I’m not familiar with the Snappy ubuntu core versions, I thought it is referenced as it may include the host driver. I tried the LimeSDR setup with GnuRadio from the other thread on 14.04 with no success. I guess we will need to wait for the release of the drivers.

There isn’t support yet in Snappy Ubuntu Core and you’ll need to use a classic Ubuntu release for now.

Andrew,

Any update on the Snappy Ubuntu Core for the LimeSDR lately? I’m anxious to see some activity on this because I’d like to see a way other than though the other LimeSDR apps like GQRX (Linux) and SDRConsole (Windows) to stream I/Q and control packets over a network (or the web) to control and listen from a LimeSDR. Here’s the reason why:

KiwiSDR recently began deliveries of their KiwiSDR coupled to a Beaglebone Green to make a highly effective HF receiver that can be added to a network and accessed by a web browser. A good example of this is at this web address:

http://www.SDR.hu

There are multiple KiwiSDRs out there all over the planet that are being used as HF remote receivers - pick any one of them and start listening…It is amazing what’s out there. The biggest drawback of the ‘Kiwi’ is that it’s HF-only, but some have added downconversion to make the ‘Kiwi’ capable of listening in other V/UHF band segments - albeit that it’s limited to 30MHz of tuning range. LimeSDR is perfectly capable of achieving this too, but with substantially more receiver bandwidth than the KiwiSDR has and would be useful for ALL radio services (even Satellite) for radio enthusiasts to monitor.

I know there are many that want to see the Snappy Ubuntu Core developed, but I think the time has come for LimeSDR to have the same capability of using the core to perform the same - if not better - way of making the LimeSDR capable of streaming its I/Q and control packets in the same way and be used for remote monitoring of the like of SDR.hu. For that matter, LimeSDRs could be part of the SDR.hu list and have the huge added benefit of transmitting, too (where practical and proper).

This isn’t ‘keeping up with the Joneses’ more-so than it’s a call for the LimeSDR to take the next step in its development. Getting the Snappy core capable of running a radio server app.

So, with that, what’s happening along those lines…? Let us all know - I’m REAL interested in setting up a LimeSDR radio server soon on the Snappy.

Cheers,

Marty (KN0CK)

Hi Marty,

I think we need to separate out two different things here:

Snappy Ubuntu Core

This is just a new transactional update-based version of Ubuntu that is designed for devices/appliances.

It also happens to use Snapcraft, a packaging system where applications are sandboxed and bundled with all their dependencies. Ubuntu Classic (desktop) 16.04 also comes with support for installing “snaps” and you can install support for this type of packaging on other Linux distros too. Which is great as it finally means you can package an app once and deploy across many different distros (this being much easier when an app bundles all the dependencies).

@joshblum is working on getting the first few “snaps” live in the LimeNET app store and there should be an announcement very soon.

Snappy Ubuntu Core and Snapcraft/snaps have little to do with remote control/streaming.

SoapyRemote

If you want to remote control a LimeSDR and stream samples to/from it you can do that now thanks to SoapyRemote. For example, see the post on building a remote radio head with LimeSDR.

Of course, Snappy Ubuntu Core plus a snap that provides and starts up SoapySDRServer would be a pretty neat way of building a minimal system that you connect to over the network from an application running elsewhere.

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew,

Thanks for the reply back - Now that I understand the underlying architecture of what Snappy brings to the table I would agree that the Snappy Core and a ‘snap’ app that not only uses SoapySDRServer but could serve a webpage of the activity on the band very much like what KiwiSDR does would be a GREAT first snap for LimeSDR…! It would allow users to either use locally or remote their LimeSDRs and fix them to particular band segments for monitoring and control of HF, V/UHF, Satellite, or other services for others to connect to. That’s not to say that this can’t be accomplished using existing apps (GQRX or SDRConsole) that have networking capabilities right now, but to have it all self-contained and page-served/streamed to a user over a browser seems like a pretty elegant way to go without having anything installed. In fact I’m connected and streaming the audio from a KiwiSDR in Canada right now on my Samsung S5. If a LimeSDR had a comparable ‘snap’ for this that would be a powerful first app for new users to apply to their Limes after December’s deliveries start.

The main point of my inquiry today was to see what progress has been made, and knowing that Josh is working on ‘snaps’ for different applications does answer that inquiry. I’ll be interested in knowing what the first ‘snaps’ look like and the procedure for installing those snaps.

Thanks again for the reply, Andrew,

Marty (KN0CK)

Hello Andrew and others,

Does anybody know the current status of the LimeNET section in the Ubuntu store? I followed the link in @joshblum’s October blog, and it took me directly to a login window where, after logging into my Ubuntu account, I was invited to upload snaps, but I did not see any there to download.

I also followed the instructions later in the blog to set the UBUNTU_STORE environment variable and use the “snap find” instruction with “lime” as the search filter, and it found no results; I performed these latter steps on a Raspberry Pi 3 running Snappy Ubuntu Core [Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.4.0-1030-raspi2 armv7l)].

Thanks,
robertkb

Hi @robertkb,

At the present time there is no public browseable web interface for apps in the store, but we hope to fix that soon. I’ve not tried accessing the store from an ARM board and I’m guessing it might be that only amd64 build snaps have been published so far.

Regards,

Andrew