Problems with LimeSDR mini

Hi @mariocannistra,

There is much simpler option to connect JTAG - use edge connector J3 which spacing is 2.54mm. Check Table 1. Figure 2 here. Check schematic for J3 pinout, page 7, right-top edge.

Thank you @Zack .
I see that J3 pinout has 4 JTAG signals plus some voltages.
Is it enough to connect pins 1 to 5 to the BUS Blaster or should I connect also 6 and 7 ?

I’m planning to solder to J3 position a section of this male header:

Since spacing is different, I would use some female/male jumper wires

to go from the J3 header to the Altera USB Blaster 2x5 cable end:

Hopefully this Altera USB Blaster cable pinout is correct (6,7,8 not to be used):
usb-blaster-cable-pinout

Anyone else having problems programming their LimeSDR mini?

Although I’m already on the latest gateware, I’m super concerned I will not be able to upgrade/downgrade it in the future. I continue to get read errors and programming failed when attempting to downgrade or re-program my gateware. Other than the programming issue, the device seems to work fine.

I have no issues programming my other two devices. Although one of the the two LimeSDR USB devices has a hardware failure of some sort. I’m guessing with the LMS7002 chip, but I can’t confirm at this point. That means I have two separate devices that are faulty. Although the LimeSDR mini was only $99 for early bird pricing, I’m super bummed that its not functioning as it should. Not to mention the 299 I dropped on the bigger Lime that is unusable at this point.

Not sure what I should do with either unit.

Hi @mariocannistra,

We will create a wiki page with instructions on how to make an adapter cable cable for programming.
I just want to warn you regarding USB Blaster in your picture. Have you ordered this one as in picture? You will not be able to program LimeSDR-Mini with this “USB Blaster”. I tried this one without success. I can program LimeSDR-USB, but not LimeSDR-Mini with this “USB Blaster”.

1 Like

Hi @Zack
Thank you for the wiki page, really appreciated.
Yes I bought the one in the picture.
It’s presented as “Altera USB Blaster” and I have found tons of same pictures on the web always with ALTERA logo on the box.
If it’s the wrong one I wasted just 11 Euros so not a big damage and I could keep it for the LimeSDR should I have the need in the future.

Actually the detail description contains the sentence “Fully compatible with original Altera USB-Blaster”… I should have paid more attention to the “compatible with original” words… my fault.

I’m a bit curious about the compatibility issue anyway. It is described with this features:

Supported target voltage : 1.0V-5.5V.
Support all ALTERA devices.
CPLD:MAX 3000A、MAX 7000A、MAX 7000B、MAX 7000S、MAX 9000、MAX 9000A and MAX II.
FPGA:Stratix、Stratix II、Stratix GX、Cyclone、Cyclone II、Cyclone III、ACEX 1K、APEX II、APEX 20K、APEX 20KE、APEX 20KC、FLEX 10K、FLEX 10KE、FLEX 10KA、FLEX 6000、FLEX 8000、EPCS1、EPCS4、EPCS16、EPCS64EPC1、EPC4、EPC8、EPC16.
Support:JTAG, AS, PS Mode.
Support NiosII embeded core based debug.
Supports Quartus II SignalTap II Logic Analyzer (for logic analysis).
High performance, 6 times faster than ByteBlasterII.

do you know of some LimeSDR Mini specific that is not listed here?
In the past I had to tweak the parameters of the sw driving the JTAG programmer in order to target the specific platform/hw…

When you had issues programming the Mini with this device, were you able to still use the Mini after or did the attempt leave the board unusable/without FW ?

Hi @mariocannistra,

LimeSDR-Mini features Altera MAX10 FPGA (well, Intel now). And it is not in the list.

No damage to the firmware. Altera programming software says that it can not see a JTAG chain using this clone USB Blaster.

@Zack “Altera programming software” = “Quartus Prime Lite” ?

I’m wondering if there’s an alternative/universal JTAG programming SW…

Well, this is whole IDE with integrated programmer software. But there is stand alone Altera Programmer software which is able to download bitstream file to FPGA. There is command line version as well.

Hi @mariocannistra,

Here is a wiki page with instructions on how to create JTAG adapter cable:
https://wiki.myriadrf.org/LimeSDR-Mini_JTAG_cable_adapter#LimeSDR-Mini_JTAG_cable_adapter

Accessible from here too:
https://wiki.myriadrf.org/LimeSDR-Mini#Documentation

@zack ok, I registered to download the standalone one. They have issues with their auth system at the moment, waiting for their support…

@zack thank you for the wiki page.
Just 2 notes:
a) there’s an error message in the middle of Figure 1. Missing part of the diagram ?

b) I see you just plugged the adapter male in the board’s edge holes, wondering if it’s stable enough but will try.

I noticed that also Cyclone IV is not listed in the programmer compat list but you got it working with LimeSDR so I’m still hoping… :slight_smile:

This is how I see it:

Looks OK to me.

You have to hold it, but it is enough for one time shot :slight_smile:

I am not sure how much we can trust this “description” :slight_smile:

I mean the message in the middle:

ok cool.

:slight_smile: I agree…

Thanks for spotting this! Fixed.

Hi @jslatten,

Just one thought - try to execute LimeSuiteGUI (Win) as administrator. And then try to update the board.

I’m running it mostly under Linux, but I have tried running it as administrator in Windows or under root in Linux. Same results every single time.

According to my test, if your limesdr mini is running gateware version 22, which is default from factory, then you will have to use limesuite 18.01 only.

you can download here for windows version:
http://downloads.myriadrf.org/builds/limesuite/LimeSuiteGUI_20180202_fcd5f0.exe

if you are using limesuite 18.02~18.04, you need to upgrade your firmware on your limesdr mini, otherwise you will encounter a problem on setPllFrequency.

limesuite 17.XX can’t support limesdr mini well. So for linux user, you need to build from source, instead of using apt-get.

here’s some testing video on both windows and linux( this device has already been upgraded to gw 24):

1 Like

@Zack I received the USB Blaster clone.
This evening I hope to test the update procedure.
Quick update/info for those interested:

1. the device I received does not have the ALTERA logo like it had in the online shop image instead. No big surprise at this point :slight_smile: It’s a clone.
  2. there was a small piece of plastic inside the USB A plug preventing it from properly inserting. Promptly removed :slight_smile:
  3. got “Access denied” error when I tried to install the Altera USB Blaster device driver. I had to disable the “driver signature enforcement” in order to install the device driver. Reboot after that or you will crash when running other sw.
  4. the device driver files can be found in the installation directory of “Quartus Prime standalone programmer” that I previously installed.
  5. the USB blaster is then recognized/listed in Quartus Prime Programmer

now I’m ready for next steps with cable adapter/header to try and reprogram the FW.

Some pictures below about the chips inside the USB Blaster and the Quartus Programming sw.

@zack … but I noticed that the Quartus programmer open file dialog accepts just these file extensions:
while the 18.04 image for the LimeSDR Mini 1.24 has file extension .rpd

Could you please provide a different file format or is it possible for me to convert .rpd to something else ?

thank you, mario

Hi @mariocannistra,

Interesting! Here you will find other file formats: