Please Update the Tutorials for LimeSDR mini

Dear Authority,

Right now the LimeSDR mini lacks support for a beginner. The starting page lists the ‘LimeSDR made simple’ as tutorial. Where as the channel info or first practical example with ‘self_test.ini’ doesn’t work for the mini.

I am using windows 10 and LimeSuite GUI. My LimeSDR mini passed the quick test, yet I cannot do any practical for the mismatch in the tutorials.

Could you please help the beginners by providing updated documents for the LimeSDR mini?

Best regards,
Nazia

3 Likes

Hi @Nazia, LimeSDR Made Simple is a blog post series that was put together based around the LimeSDR USB and before we even had production LimeSDR Mini boards, hence it was not designed to support them. There are no plans to go back and update these blog posts each time new hardware is released.

The fundamental principles outlined will still be relevant, e.g. on the LMS7 RFIC, matching and I/Q etc. But the Mini will not be able to perform exercises using the waveform player in Lime Suite, because it does not have DDR RAM like the larger board.

At some point we will be putting together a new series of how-to guides on the wiki and these will be kept up-to-date. In the meantime if you are just starting out and using a LimeSDR Mini, I would suggest installing GNU Radio and the gr-limesdr blocks:

Then following one of the many guides or basic tutorials at getting started with GNU Radio, substituting whatever SDR source/sink blocks they use — e.g. UHD or gr-osmosdr — for the gr-limesdr blocks.

Hi @andrewback,

1. Since the LimeSDR made simple series doesn’t work for the mini, why did you list it on the documents without a hint?

2. Does it work with LimeSuite? If so, please give us a simple example of that.

3. How to configure the LMS7002 in the LimeSDR mini? Show a step by step example. At least provide a self_test.ini for mini.

4. As a beginner, I found LimeSDR mini a very cool choice. It was showing highspeed video TX and RX. Now, at this point, LimeMicro is not giving support with anything that helps a beginner. Seems like it wasn’t even a plan to support the beginners.

I am very disappointed with the support from LimeMicro. At first, they delivered 2 months late than expected. Then one month to find out it doesn’t work on windows 7, because it doesn’t allow to install the FTDI Driver. One more month to find that nothing is for the mini board. It is ONLY for someone already expert in the field!

Best,
Nazia

1 Like

Thanks for the spotting that, updated!

Of course, but Lime Suite is a low level driver (LMS API) and collection of utilities. You can use e.g. LimeUtil to probe the board and update flash. You can use LimeQuickTest to verify the board is working as it should be. If you’re an engineer/developer who needs to do advanced work, writing and reading to specific LMS7002M registers to e.g. very finely tune performance, you can do this via LimeSuiteGUI.

However, please note that LimeSuiteGUI is not a tool for general use. The update and quick test utils were created so that most people would never have to use LimeSuiteGUI, which is an advanced/engineering tool with, admittedly, a not very good user interface — but then it’s not intended for mass consumption.

This is why LimeQuickTest exists. If you don’t know what you’re doing, do not use LimeSuiteGUI.

Hi @andrewback,

1. Yes. My board passes the LimesQuick test for the mini. That tells the device is okay. But, I cannot see any waveform or physical data.

2. As I said I am a beginner, I need to learn to how to use this device. I am a Ph.D student in the RF concentration and I know about RF. But there is no ‘user-friendly guide or tutorial’ that I can do something meaningful.

3. “If you don’t know what you’re doing, do not use LimeSuiteGUI.” Is not helpful. Nobody learns from the womb.

4. Please, provide us a tutorial on “how you have used the TX and RX with the LimeSDR mini as in the advertisement”. That will be helpful. If you cannot then give us a warning at least.

Best,
Nazia

1 Like