Limesdr on odroid xu3

@Kc7noa - Mike

I have a Pine Rock64 that’s 64-bit ARM and I’m running Ubuntu Mate on it…I tried your procedure for getting LimeSuite installed by doing:

sudo apt-add-respository -y ppa:myriadrf/drivers

and on the heels of that did:

sudo apt-get install LimeSuite

…and it came back and siad it couldn’t locate a package for it. Is there some trick to this that I need to know above and beyond what you did for Odroid? The Mate package I have running is made for the Rock64 ARM, so I would think it emulates Odroid pretty close.

Let me know your thoughts…I have GQRX installed using Synaptic and it works fine with RTL-SDRs but I’m trying to get my Lime on it now…Just no cigar yet… :-/

Lemme know - 73 de Marty, KN0CK

It’s been awhile now that I’ve done this from scratch I don’t build or load programs from the repository. I always build from git when possible.

Im still seperated from my wife, last week she paid a lawyer to fill out divorce papers. One step closer to being something I do not want to be in my life … divorced.

@Kc7noa - Mike,

So sorry to see this, Mike. Please stay strong in the days ahead - I know that may read trite, but strength is what you’ll need to survive this. I haven’t been divorced ever, but I have many friends who’ve been through the rigor of that and did survive to eventually thrive. There is no short road to this, but you do come out stronger in the end.

I pulled LimeSuite down, compiled and installed - for some reason it’s not finding LimeSuiteGUI even though the build went fine - so I have to go on the hunt for what did actually happen to the build item. LimeUtil finds my LimeSDR, so that’s a plus.

Please take care and ping if you need a shoulder to lean on -

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Did you enable usb access

Does lsusb show the lime?

1 Like

@Kc7noa = Mike,

Yep - The USB support is on and I have LimeUtil and SoapySDRUtil compiled from pulls from github and able to get status from my LimeSDR and Lime-Mini - funny, no LimeSuiteGUI. Thought that was weird because it was the standard pull from MyriadRF but after the compile was done - no LimeSuiteGUI only LimeUtil. I haven’t been successful in getting GQRX (which works fine with an RTL) to see my Lime, even with the standard arguments (driver=lime,soapy=0) in the IO device definition. But again, it sees the RTL in good shape.

Are you able to compile/install SDRAngel on Odroid? Let me know when you have a chance.

Keep in touch, Mike…73 de Marty, KN0CK

Yes … SdrAngel is working quite well … besides the gain settings not seeming to be linear.

1 Like

@Kc7noa - Mike,

Did you have to install the dependencies manually (and there’s A LOT of them, including qt5 which seems to be a bear) or how did you get the install going for that - - just briefly, or send me to a link that describes the build and I’ll be good to go. I have LimeSuite, Soapy, and gr-osmosdr installed and working…Not sure what other dependencies need to be installed from source. Let me know when you have time…

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Thats why i use sudo apt-get builddep gqrx

To pull most all dependencies… then manual the rest

I think the hardest was the correct fortran install

Any luck marty

1 Like

Mike,

I got to a point where I got stuck installing LimeSuite - all it would install is LimeUtil and SoapySDRUtil but it wouldn’t install LimeSuiteGUI (and probably other dependencies). I was able to install GQRX and make it run with a RTL-SDR in good shape, but not for a Lime - - and I think that had to do with missing pieces from the Lime install and potentially SoapySDR…gr-osmosdr installed fine - - that’s the only way I could get RTLs to work with it.

Any tricks you recall on LimeSuite? Lemme know - - TNX es 73 de Marty, KN0CK

You dont need the GUI …

There is a folder in the lime folder called USB i think … i will need to verrify later, but there is a script to install usb permissions …

Does soapy respond with lime as located?

1 Like

@Kc7noa - Mike,

Well, SoapySDRUtil and LimeUtil are there but they cannot see an attached Lime on the USB 3.0 port on the Rock64 USB port - so those resources are on the Rock64 now. That port does operate fine with the RTL. But when I try to find a Lime in GQRX, and even if I force the issue with the ‘device=lime,soapy=0’ in the device arguments it won’t even try to start. So I have to think there’s some missing resources to make the Lime interoperable with the apps - maybe it is USB related…Not sure.

What’s your take on this one, Mike - let me know -

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Let’s check first what’s the output of lsusb?

I looked at my install and it’s not there but the u-dub rule folder I could have sworn I had them before

http://wiki.myriadrf.org/Lime_Suite

cd LimeSuite/udev-rules
sudo ./install.sh

1 Like

@Kc7noa - Mike,

Sorry for the huge delay here - I saw your suggestion early yesterday morning and it’s taken me until this morning to really look at it with a decent cup of coffee.

I did a ‘sudo lsusb’ on the command line on the Rock64 and it came back with the first device being an ‘Bus 005 Device 005 ID 1d50:6108 OpenMoko Inc’ which tells me it can see the :Lime on the USB 3.0 bus on the Rock64.

I then did a ‘SoapySDRUtil --find’ and it came back that it couldn’t find the LimeSDR on Bus 005 (‘no device found’), yet, in the USB device list an OpenMoko device exists.

So then I did your:

cd LimeSuite/udev-rules
sudo ./install.sh

…and it came back with a ‘bash command not found’

So I figured I’d force the issue and because superuser (root) and did the same thing…It came back with - - get this - - ‘permission denied’. It could execute the command – but how in the world could it come back with a ‘permission denied’ as Root?

Your astute observations on this will be greatly appreciated, Mike - let me know your thoughts.

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Were you in the LimeSuite/udev-rules folder when executing the sudo ./install.sh ?

What OS and version?

We probably be best to have to ask Sid Boyce about the permissions issue if you are actually in the correct folder when executing the script.

This is the ODROID-C2

root@odroid64:~# cat /etc/udev/rules.d/64-limesuite.rules
ATTR{idVendor}==“04b4”, ATTR{idProduct}==“8613”, SYMLINK+=“stream-%k”, MODE=“660”, GROUP=“plugdev”
ATTR{idVendor}==“04b4”, ATTR{idProduct}==“00f1”, SYMLINK+=“stream-%k”, MODE=“660”, GROUP=“plugdev”
ATTR{idVendor}==“0403”, ATTR{idProduct}==“601f”, SYMLINK+=“stream-%k”, MODE=“660”, GROUP=“plugdev”
ATTR{idVendor}==“1d50”, ATTR{idProduct}==“6108”, SYMLINK+=“stream-%k”, MODE=“660”, GROUP=“plugdev”
SUBSYSTEM==“xillybus”, MODE=“666”, OPTIONS=“last_rule”

The LimeSDR is only connected to a openSUSE x86_64 box with openSUSE packages at the moment So I can’t run the command on the ODROID-C2 box but it did work when it was connected.
The udev rules files are the same on both.

openSUSE x86_64

cat /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/64-limesuite.rules

SUBSYSTEM==“usb”, ATTR{idVendor}==“04b4”, ATTR{idProduct}==“8613”, SYMLINK+=“stream-%k”, TAG+=“uaccess”
SUBSYSTEM==“usb”, ATTR{idVendor}==“04b4”, ATTR{idProduct}==“00f1”, SYMLINK+=“stream-%k”, TAG+=“uaccess”
SUBSYSTEM==“usb”, ATTR{idVendor}==“0403”, ATTR{idProduct}==“601f”, SYMLINK+=“stream-%k”, TAG+=“uaccess”
SUBSYSTEM==“usb”, ATTR{idVendor}==“1d50”, ATTR{idProduct}==“6108”, SYMLINK+=“stream-%k”, TAG+=“uaccess”

SoapySDRUtil --find

######################################################

Soapy SDR – the SDR abstraction library

Found device 0
addr = 1d50:6108
driver = lime
label = LimeSDR-USB [USB 3.0] 9061C02C73925
media = USB 3.0
module = STREAM
name = LimeSDR-USB
serial = 0009061C02C73925

1 Like

@sboyce, @Kc7noa

Sid / Mike,

Thanks for the info. I’m on my Rock64 typing this and I looked at my 64-limesuite.rules file in the udev-rules and the contents match what Sid sees in his same file - here is what I have:

SUBSYSTEM==“usb”, ATTR{idVendor}==“04b4”, ATTR{idProduct}==“8613”, SYMLINK+=“stream-%k”, TAG+=“uaccess”
SUBSYSTEM==“usb”, ATTR{idVendor}==“04b4”, ATTR{idProduct}==“00f1”, SYMLINK+=“stream-%k”, TAG+=“uaccess”
SUBSYSTEM==“usb”, ATTR{idVendor}==“0403”, ATTR{idProduct}==“601f”, SYMLINK+=“stream-%k”, TAG+=“uaccess”
SUBSYSTEM==“usb”, ATTR{idVendor}==“1d50”, ATTR{idProduct}==“6108”, SYMLINK+=“stream-%k”, TAG+=“uaccess”

…and here is what I get when I do a SoapySDRUtil --find

rock64@rock64:~/Desktop$ SoapySDRUtil --find

Soapy SDR – the SDR abstraction library

libusb: error [_get_usbfs_fd] libusb couldn’t open USB device /dev/bus/usb/005/003: Permission denied
libusb: error [_get_usbfs_fd] libusb requires write access to USB device nodes.
No devices found!
rock64@rock64:~/Desktop$

Finally, here is what I have when I do a sudo lsusb:

rock64@rock64:~/Desktop$ sudo lsusb
[sudo] password for rock64:
Bus 005 Device 003: ID 1d50:6108 OpenMoko, Inc.
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 05e3:0616 Genesys Logic, Inc. hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 1b3f:2008 Generalplus Technology Inc.
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04d9:1605 Holtek Semiconductor, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
rock64@rock64:~/Desktop$

So as you can see, The OpenMoko device is listed - so the USB port can see the Lime, it still appears that there’s a permission issue someplace because it can’t talk to or receive from the lime in SoapySDRUtil or LimeUtil…I have to think both apps are functionally working.

What’s your opinion of what you see here? Please let me know - I’m pretty sure we’re all on the cusp of making this work… :slight_smile:
73 de Marty, KN0CK

Hi Marty,

As I wrote in this other post few days ago the TAG+="uaccess" seems to be nonfunctional on Debian and Ubuntu server-based systems. You can try to change it to MODE="660", GROUP="plugdev" and make sure that you are member of the group plugdev.

Alex

1 Like