LimeSDR mini not working, read/write errors, can't --update, tried ubuntu, fedora, and windows

I have a LimeSDR, trying to get it working in any way shape or form.

Tried on ubuntu 16, yeah right, PPAs don’t install good luck
Tried on ubuntu 18, hahahahaha, sucker, made you waste 4 hours
Tried fedora 27 and decided to build limesdr, soapysdr from scratch that “worked”, in the sense that limeutil --find finds the device. But nothing else works, and let me clarify what I’ve tried.

• Any attempt to access the device in any way (lime suite gui, for example) results in a hung gui (in windows) or tons of read/write errors:

Read(64 bytes) failed
Read(64 bytes) failed
Read(64 bytes) failed
Write(64 bytes) failed

• Tons of googling later, seems I should limeutil --update. Yeah right:

[root@shitbox~]# LimeUtil --update
Connected to [LimeSDR Mini [USB 3.0] 1D40F8DFB08E04]
Read(64 bytes) failed
Update not supported: UNKNOWN[HW=0]

Programming update failed! : Update not supported: UNKNOWN[HW=0]
[root@shitbox ~]#

• Even more googling, “the device might not have enough power”. Tried any number of ports. Tried plugging the “power” port into an external USB device (plugged into the same power source as the PC obviously). Tried another computer entirely. No difference. One of them is a Intel NUC, the other is an HP enterprise laptop, I’m using this on crappy hardware.
  • Getting desperate now, break out the windows computer. Install obscure software packages, download obscure USB drivers from obscure places. Finally, I can run limeutil --find sucecssfully on windows, it will update for sure now:

C:\Users\enry>limeutil --update
Connected to [LimeSDR Mini [USB 3] 1D40F8DFB08E04]
Read(64 bytes) failed
Update not supported: UNKNOWN[HW=0]

Programming update failed! : Update not supported: UNKNOWN[HW=0]

• “Okay, but Enry! Just run limequicktest!” Oh, great idea. On windows, running “limequicktest” does exactly ONE thing: it adds a process called LimeQuickTest.exe inside my task manager and NOTHING ELSE. No GUI, no feedback on the console. Nothing. Unplug the Lime and the process disappears.

• “Enry you n00b. Real hax0rs don’t use windoze. Run limequicktest on linux!”. Okay, voices in my head, let me try that:

[root@shitbox ~]# LimeQuickTest
[ TESTING STARTED ]
->Start time: Fri Aug 31 12:48:35 2018

Read(64 bytes) failed
Read(64 bytes) failed
Read(64 bytes) failed
Write(64 bytes) failed
->Device: LimeSDR Mini, media=USB 3.0, module=FT601, addr=24607:1027, serial=1D40F8DFB08E04
Serial Number: 1D40F8DFB08E04
Write(64 bytes) failed
Write(64 bytes) failed
Failed to connect
libusb: warning [libusb_exit] application left some devices open
[root@shitbox ~]# LimeUtil --find
* [LimeSDR Mini, media=USB 3.0, module=FT601, addr=24607:1027, serial=1D40F8DFB08E04]
[root@shitbox ~]# getenforce
Disabled
[root@shitbox ~]#

Well, above is “better” only in that the LimeQuickTest command prints an output versus golden silence on windows.

• One last thing, trying to use Lime Suite GUI on windows hangs when I click “connect”.

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

To clarify:

I’ve seen infinite number of messages on this board about try to flash with this software, or that software, or use an external JTAG, or copy some programming from someone else’s Lime. That seems a bit intense and not something I want to do without very specific instructions. But more to the point, this is a LimeSDR Mini with the case, and that case is on real tight, it is not coming off anytyime soon. But I’m willing to do anything that’s needed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 Like

Here is the output to SoapySDRUtil --probe:

[root@summit-enodeb ~]# SoapySDRUtil --probe
######################################################
##     Soapy SDR -- the SDR abstraction library     ##
######################################################

Probe device
[INFO] Make connection: 'LimeSDR Mini [USB 3.0] 1D40F8DFB08E04'
[ERROR] Read(64 bytes) failed
[ERROR] Write(64 bytes) failed
[INFO] Device name: UNKNOWN
[INFO] Reference: -1e-06 MHz
1 Like

Dumping more info here just in case it helps… Random FT60X chip config programmer read config says this:

Iv heard that the GUI only works on Linux …

But since i only run Ubunrtu 18.04 … i cant be accurate.

Tagging @Zack to see what he suggests.

The errors looks quite same as mine. Please refer my thread though my issue is not solved yet.

If your FPGA isn’t programed, you must program it with JTAG tool.

For a while I kind of refused to believe that anyone would assume that a) I would have any clue HOW to program this thing and that b) I’d have a jtag programmer just lying around, but whatevs getting desperate, I’ll go pick one up at abra as soon as I can

Much appreciated.

Hi @theenry,

It looks like FPGA is not working for some reason. If you have Altera Blaster programmer, you may try to flash bitstream. If not just arrange RMA with Crowd Supply. Sorry for this.
It is quite strange although while I have log file from the factory test and it is OK.

Thanks, are there instructions how to flash the FPGA? Which file should I use, etc?

I assembled a JTAG cable this way, https://wiki.myriadrf.org/LimeSDR-Mini_JTAG_cable_adapter but Quartus Prime doesn’t see the device… “auto detect” gives me this error.

So this radio is probably toast.

Are you using an authentic Altera USB Blaster or a clone? If the latter, you may need to fiddle with the drivers.

Hi, yes I had to follow the instructions and install the driver from the quartus folder. It is a “waveshare electronics” usb blaster, not altera, but seems to be detected normally, see ss above. I’ve confirmed the pinout matches that from the wiki limesdr mini cable.

FYI all I received the replacement radio from CrowdSupply, this one worked right off the bat, plug and play. A BTW: if the LED on your mini doesn’t turn on at all when plugging in (mine never did) it probably means something is hosed really bad.

I ran a bunch of tests as an LTE eNodeB station works more or less ok. I have issues but it’s not certain they are the hardware, it could be the software.

Thanks to all.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Getting started with SDRangel etc