LimeSDR Mini - GQRX

I have a LimeSDR Mini on Linux Mint 18.2 (64-bit), I’ve made a bit of success getting some things to work but GQRX seems to escape me.

Here is the error I’m getting when I attempt to start the stream:
terminate called after throwing an instance of ‘std::runtime_error’
what(): In hierarchical block source_impl, output 1 is not connected internally

I’ve tried to follow thru the guides, I figured out that I seemed to have to add a few software channels, remove SoapySDR 0.6 and install 0.7 (with the modules including lime) now I can get my SDR to be detected in Soapy Utilities
$ SoapySDRUtil --find
######################################################

Soapy SDR – the SDR abstraction library

######################################################

linux; GNU C++ version 5.4.0 20160609; Boost_105800; UHD_003.010.003.000-0-unknown

Found device 0
addr = 24607:1027
driver = lime
label = LimeSDR Mini [USB 3.0] 1D4C4365552ABC
media = USB 3.0
module = FT601
name = LimeSDR Mini
serial = 1D4C4365552ABC

Found device 1
device = plutosdr
driver = plutosdr
uri = local:

I’ve also successfully compiled the rtl_433 project which seems to use Soapy for LimeSDR and it’s able to receive sensors and things nearby.

I’ve attempted to remove and reinstall all the SDR bits and pieces (including for my RTL-SDRs which I broke in the process of getting LimeSDR to do anything) and I can’t seem to get past the errors on GQRX.

I’ve attached some screenshots of the settings I have picked for GQRX, at one point I got as far as FFT no audio errors but it didn’t list an antenna to pick in the dropdown some forums suggested. I’m unsure if I have taken a step forward or backward at this point.

At one point I even managed to build GQRX from source in hopes it would find some LimeSDR driver/plugin that was installed thru LimeSuite, SoapySDR, GNU Radio, or some other thing I’ve tried but I was still unsuccessful.

Screenshot%20from%202019-04-13%2017-16-07

Anyone have ideas?

Minor update, after a reboot and re-entering the same config options I’m now back to “No audio FFT data.” and the antenna dropdown has nothing to select from.

Bump?

@mmiller7 - Matt,

It’s been on the forum a few times in the past few months, but the author (and others) who have been maintaining GQRX aren’t maintaining it anymore and GQRX is largely broken and not functioning. I’m not sure if anyone will step in and get it running again, but if you’re looking for a receive app for the LimeSDR for Linux CubicSDR and SDRAngel will work, and if you’re running on Windows 10 the latest version of SDRConsole or SDRAngel for Windows will work for the LimeSDR.

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Do you have any non-Windows suggestions? I run Linux Mint 18.2 which is based on Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial Xerus). More or less everything I’ve read keeps saying to use GQRX or “figure out how to build everything from scratch in Gnu Radio”.

I’m certainly open to other suggestions, I just haven’t located anything yet that sounds promising on Linux.

I did finally get frusterated and recompile libgnuradio-osmosdr and then gqrx from source, being sure that I didn’t include the one Ettus UHD driver and now I can get it to finally start but the LimeSDR seems extremely deaf compared to a RTL-SDR which makes me feel like something I don’t know is wrong.

@mmiller7 - Matt,

If you’re using the LimeSDR Mini for receive, SDRAngel is your best bet and is capable of tuning your Mini from 10 MHz (or lower) to over 1200 MHz. There are two ways to install SDRAngel and I’m sending the links to both:

The only difference between the two is that one is fully compiled and I show how to get all the dependencies and compile SDRAngel successfully - this is the defacto way to install SDRAngel and has been done by MANY Lime/Lime-Mini users, or you can use the ‘canned’ Docker-ized version that has been successfully deployed by quite a few users on the forum, too - your choice. Either one will get you SDRAngel.

Also, I would HIGHLY recommend that you become familiar with how to run SDRAngel because the interface can be a little daunting if you’ve never run it before, but once you become familiar with it, then it’s not a big deal anymore to run SDRAngel for whatever bands you seek to listen to. Here’s the link to the author’s Github site that has that info:

…and then…

…as well as this…

…and several others when you take it up one subdirectory…A LOT of info is there to show you how to set up and use SDRAngel…I use it for receive and transmit for my LimeSDR and LimeSDR-Mini.

Let me know if you need anything else, Matt -

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Thanks, I’ll certainly be reading thru and trying some of those over the next few days!

1 Like

You have a space between the comma and soapy. There should be no spaces in the device string.

Without the space it just segfaulted. Finally got it working but I had to recompile all the dependencies followed by GQRX from source ensuring not to build in any drivers I didn’t absolutely need. Very painful…but it seems to have worked.

1 Like