Limesdr installation issues

Hi all,

Trying to setup my LimeSDR but having a few issues

Running Fedora on a desktop and Fedora/Windows on a laptop and having the same issues on all.

Limesuite is built and compiled from github:

First issue is that its connected at USB2.0

92.344762] usb 3-1: new high-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[ 92.463169] usb 3-1: New USB device found, idVendor=04b4, idProduct=00f3
[ 92.463174] usb 3-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 92.463178] usb 3-1: Product: WestBridge
[ 92.463180] usb 3-1: Manufacturer: Cypress
[ 92.463183] usb 3-1: SerialNumber: 0000000004BE

Have tried different USB3 ports on both the desktop and the laptop, also tried an external pci-e USB3 card on the desktop. Have tried in Windows on the laptop using the USB3 driver and see the same behaviour with it only being detected as USB2. Im using the supplied cable and have also tried a different USB3 cable.

I can live with it being USB2 however I think theres another issue at play here:

Seems to be detected by Limeutil:

[jamie@laptop ~]$ LimeUtil --find

• [WestBridge , media=USB 2.0, module=STREAM, addr=04b4:00f3, serial=0000000004BE]

[jamie@laptop ~]$ LimeUtil --info
    ######################################################

LimeSuite information summary

Version information:
Library version: v17.07.0-g9fcd2529
Build timestamp: 2017-07-18
Interface version: v2017.6.0
Binary interface: 17.07-1

System resources:
Installation root: /usr/local
User home directory: /home/jamie
App data directory: /home/jamie/.local/share/LimeSuite
Config directory: /home/jamie/.limesuite
Image search paths:
- /home/jamie/.local/share/LimeSuite/images
- /usr/local/share/LimeSuite/images

Supported connections:

• PCIEXillybus
  • STREAM
  • uLimeSDR

SoapySDRUtil --probe output:

[jamie@laptop ~]$ SoapySDRUtil --probe

Soapy SDR – the SDR abstraction library

Probe device
[INFO] Make connection: ‘WestBridge [USB 2.0] 4BE’
[ERROR] Unsupported hardware connected: UNKNOWN[HW=0]
[INFO] Device name: UNKNOWN
[INFO] Reference: 30.72 MHz
[INFO] Init LMS7002M(0)
[INFO] LMS7002M cache /home/jamie/.limesuite/LMS7002M_cache_values.db
[INFO] Ver=0, Rev=0, Mask=0
Error probing device: ResetChip() failed
libusb: warning [libusb_exit] application left some devices open

Running Limesuite seems to show an issue though (ignore the terminal output on the left)

Have I missed something out during the installation process? Ive literally compiled limesuite from github and nothing else.

Thanks

Just noticed ive got 2 red LEDs lit up, FPGA1 FPGA2.

Currently googling to find out what they mean…

Have I not got the fpga firmware loaded or something stupid like that on my part? :slight_smile:

This looks like the FX3 microcontroller (USB 3.0) is not loading the firmware and so coming up on the default Cypress VID & PID. Can you check that jumper J13 is fitted. And if it is, try updating the firmware via Lime Suite.

yep the jumper is there.

tried that as per the instructions documented in this thread LimUtil --update scrogged - how to start over?

FX3 -> Program firmware to RAM.

Box pops up saying the limesdr will reset, please reconnect to it however it doesnt come back and dmesg shows it as disconnected but it doesnt reconnect

dmesg output:

[ 4473.095482] usb 3-1: USB disconnect, device number 8

not sure if this is relevant but im connecting it solely via usb , i dont have dc power connected to it (need to find a suitable dc power jack)

Ok some progress

Now shows up as a LIME-SDR in LimeSuite:

[07:13:41] WARNING: Gateware version mismatch!
Expected gateware version 2, revision 8
But found version 0, revision 0
Follow the FW and FPGA upgrade instructions:
http://wiki.myriadrf.org/Lime_Suite#Flashing_images
Or run update on the command line: LimeUtil --update

[07:13:44] INFO: Connected Control port: LimeSDR-USB FW:3 HW:4 Protocol:1 GW:0 GW_rev:0 Ref Clk: 30.72 MHz

LimeUtil:

/usr/local/bin/LimeUtil --update
Connected to [LimeSDR-USB [USB 2.0] 9061C02CA1F0A]
[WARNING] Gateware version mismatch!

[ 0%] 256/186040 Bytes Programming failed! Error (/root/.local/share/LimeSuite/images/17.07/LimeSDR-USB_HW_1.3_r3.0.img)
Programming update failed! : Programming failed! Error

Hum not having much luck with this, after going to “Programming” in Limesuite and FX3 and selecting firmware to RAM the limesdr disconnects and I can reconnect back to it, this time it shows up as a LIMESDR and USB3

[171471.723040] usb 4-1: new SuperSpeed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
[171471.735690] usb 4-1: LPM exit latency is zeroed, disabling LPM.
[171471.736521] usb 4-1: New USB device found, idVendor=1d50, idProduct=6108
[171471.736522] usb 4-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[171471.736523] usb 4-1: Product: LimeSDR-USB
[171471.736523] usb 4-1: Manufacturer: Myriad-RF
[171471.736524] usb 4-1: SerialNumber: 0009061C02CA1F0A

However i’m still getting a a Gateware version mismatch error

[19:35:40] WARNING: Gateware version mismatch!

If i try running LimeUtil --update

[jamie@desktop-main ~]$ sudo /usr/local/bin/LimeUtil --update
Connected to [LimeSDR-USB [USB 3.0] 9061C02CA1F0A]
[WARNING] Gateware version mismatch!

[ 0%] 256/186040 Bytes Programming failed! Error (/root/.local/share/LimeSuite/images/17.07/LimeSDR-USB_HW_1.3_r3.0.img)
Programming update failed! : Programming failed! Error

Any suggestions?

Hi @j4mbob,

It looks like FPGA is not booting up or not programmed. Try to update it manually instead of automatic:

1. Download the latest FPGA gateware;
  2. Connect to the board from LimeSuiteGUI (menu item Options -> Connection Settings);
  3. Open programming window (menu item Modules -> Programming);
  4. Select Altera FPGA from Device dropbox and Bitstream to Flash from Programming mode dropbox;
  5. Open file you’ve downloaded in step 1;
  6. Push Program button;
  7. Power cycle the board and re-connect with LimeSuiteGUI (see step 2). Post a print screen of LimeSuiteGUI.

Im not even getting as far as that anymore.

Put USB cable in and i see in dmesg it gets detected as Westbridge

[103984.952107] usb 3-5: new high-speed USB device number 63 using xhci_hcd
[103985.120394] usb 3-5: New USB device found, idVendor=04b4, idProduct=00f3
[103985.120396] usb 3-5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[103985.120397] usb 3-5: Product: WestBridge
[103985.120397] usb 3-5: Manufacturer: Cypress
[103985.120398] usb 3-5: SerialNumber: 0000000004BE

Attempt to flash FX3 firmware to RAM (attempting to flash FW3 firmware to flash just results in a Programing failed error) in Limesuite and it tells me to reconnect however at that point the device disconnects and never comes back:

104001.329228] usb 3-5: USB disconnect, device number 63

I notice that at that point one of the 2 red LED’s for FX3 goes out (both are RED when it boots as Westbridge)

This is what it was doing the other day but after attempting to flash to FX3 firmware to RAM for about the 10th time it reconnected and came back as USB3/ Lime-SDR and gave me the Gate mismatch error.

Will keep trying to flash the FX3 firmware to it… Seems very temperamental…

Have tried various different USB3 cables, mutiple machines, an external USB 3 PCI card and I get the same behaviour on everything.

Could I have a defective board?

You are connecting both USB cables right? The extra power draw from the second cable is required for things to work in my experience.
–Chuck

Hello @j4mbob,

You mentioned that jumper J13 is in place. It is quite strange, while it is dedicated for the fan and it is no fit by default. Something wrong here.

Could you check if jumper J17 (see a picture attached) is in place, please. It looks like this jumper is not connected properly and this is why you see the board as a West Bridge in Windows (MCU boots a bootloader instead of firmware from FLASH memory). If it is in place, try to take it off and but it back for a few times - maybe there is no proper connection.

Hi Chuck,

I’m actually just using the USB3 cable on the supplied cable that came with the Lime… though I think ive tried with both plugged in - will try again later ensuring I’m using both.

Thanks

Hi Zack,

Yea I suspected that that might be the case, that potentially the jumper isnt connected properly. Have tried taking it on/off a few times and to be honest my Lime appears to behave exactly the same with it on or off…

Ive been looking for a replacement jumper to try it with but all the ones I have are too big.

Can you give me the component name of a suitable jumper so I can look at swapping it out?

Thanks

Hi @j4mbob,

It is 1.27mm pitch jumper. You may try to short it using a piece of wire temporarily just to check if it is.
This is a DigiKey part.

Ok have tried your suggestions Chuck/Zack:

Tried with both usb cables in… same.

Tried reseating the jumper, still no difference.

Have shorted both together and confirmed with a multimeter and still the same :cry:

Hi @j4mbob,

OK, one more thing to try - using Cypress tools. Check my post please:

Ok,

Ive not used cypress tools as I can now get the lime back into a state whereby its recognised as a Limesdr and presents the following when connecting to it via Limesuite:

[19:47:01] INFO: Connected Control port: UNKNOWN FW:0 HW:0 Protocol:0 GW:0 GW_rev:0 Ref Clk: 30.72 MHz
[19:47:16] WARNING: Gateware version mismatch!

To get it to that state(and ive repeated the process a few times to make sure its consistent), i booted up the lime with the pin jumper removed, then put the pin jumper back on as per the instructions on https://wiki.myriadrf.org/LimeSDR-USB_User_Guide#Uploading_firmware_to_empty_flash

“Disconnect the LimeSDR-USB from the host PC’s USB port.
Make sure that jumper J13 is open.
Connect the LimeSDR-USB board to the host PC’s USB port.
Short jumper J13.
Follow the procedure listed in Uploading firmware to empty flash.”

So now its recognised as a lime-SDR in Limesuite and dmesg shows:

[288342.325665] usb 3-2: new high-speed USB device number 94 using xhci_hcd
[288342.495871] usb 3-2: New USB device found, idVendor=1d50, idProduct=6108
[288342.495873] usb 3-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[288342.495874] usb 3-2: Product: LimeSDR-USB
[288342.495874] usb 3-2: Manufacturer: Myriad-RF
[288342.495875] usb 3-2: SerialNumber: 0009061C02CA1F0A

Ive downloaded https://github.com/myriadrf/LimeSDR-USB_GW/blob/master/output_files/LimeSDR-USB_lms7_trx_HW_1.4.rbf

However trying to program that in Limesuite results in the following:

So some progress… at least its getting past the cypress bootloader stage now

Hi, I’ve seen similar problems when I tried to power the LimeSDR board from just a usb 3 port. I would connect and get the message that the gateway was at rev 0 even though I had previously updated the gateway using LimeUtil --update.
Once I powered it from an external source, the problem went away. You do have to connect power first before you hook up the usb otherwise it might bring down your usb connection (which it did for me).

Thanks Rene,

Ive currently got both the USB3 and USB2 cables (that came supplied) plugged in. Have also tried using a powered USB3 hub but got the same. Havent tried directly powering the Lime (will need to dig out a suitable 6v power supply) but I’ll give it a shot.

Cheers

I had the same problem with the 2 cables attached. I think it actually damaged my USB 3 hub because the device seem to have trouble staying enumerated by Windows. I am not a hardware guy but I have enough experience with low power firmware that I suspect that all 3 chips are powered at the same time causing a power spike which will exceed the normal operating level.

The power supply I’m using is by Circuit-Test and it provides 9V and 1.5A. If you use a bench supply, you might check to see how big the initial current draw is.

This seems really flakey. So ive been messing around with it for an hour now, in that time its reverted back to not getting past the Westbridge state again - hooked it upto a windows machine and tried using the Cypress tools - it’ll write to RAM but trying to SPI FLASH it using the Cypress tools just results in an “unknown error” when attempting to write to flash.

Hooked it back upto my main Linux box and repeated the same process as before (connecting via USB with the pin jumper removed , then putting the pin jumper back on and using Limesuit to upload FX3 FW to RAM) its now getting past the Westbridge stage and we’re back to being recognised as a LimeSDR and given the Gatemismatch error. It seems to have an issue with writing anything to flash!

Current LED status https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6GkYBmJKuC8aWVPQVZQSzNfbXM

FPGA1 flashing quickly between red/green

FX3 lights both green.

ive just tried using Limesuite to program Altera FPGA Bitstream to flash / Bitstream to FPGA using LimeSDR-USB_lms7_trx_HW_1.4.rbf and one of the FX3 boot LEDs (the one closest to the edge of the board) went red.

I also notice that the limesdr has disconnected and reconnected in dmesg at USB2 rather than 3 like it was before.

Attempting to flash Altera FPGA firmware again and the red FX3 boot LED has gone back to green.