Heat Sinks on Limesdr-mini

Hello all,
Sorry for my English,
I got my LimeSDR mini, and before start to play with him I want to add some improvements.
I was buy aliminium case and want to put LimeSDR mini into this case, I see two things that may add additional stability:

1. Screening from the noise for eliminate interference.
  2. Additional heatsink.
    I am planning put in the case silicon thermal pad between aluminium case and LimeSDR mini, for heat transfer from PCB to case, of cource I also planning add heatsink to FPGA USB 3.0 and put silicon thermal pad between RF chip and screen and place heatsink at the screen.If it need I can add small fan for this construction.

Before to start all of this implement, I want to consult about this. First my question it the it is norml if I plase PCB directly at the thermal pad? For additional of protection from short circuit PCB components to the case, I planned isolate aluminium case bottom with help capton film.
I am already buy two thermal pad, one of this 2mm thickness, and another is 3.5mm thickness. I am want use thermal pad between case and PCB thickness 3.5mm, also I add spacer between case and PCB for eliminate contact between case and PCB and will fix with help screws.

Some photo of my components:

1 Like

Hi,

My setup is similar:
https://github.com/gasparka/spectrogram/blob/master/doc/all_cools.JPG

It works well.

1 Like

Thank you for you comment, I will update this topic after finish with mechanical work with the aluminium case.

Where did you buy this material blue, what is the name of this material? how cost is it?

Citing @mariocannistra:

The technical name is thermal pad (short form of “thermally conductive pad”).
You can just google “thermal pad” and will find several online shops offering them.

They are available with different thermal conductivity. The higher the better since heat transfer would occur at higher speed.

I would avoid those too thin (0.5 mm) since I guess the bottom side of the Lime pcb could have something going through it and reaching the heatsink metal surface.

This piece approx 15 Eur
Djani

1 Like

thanks