The LimeNET Micro campaign is live!

Hi All,

Just a quick heads-up that the crowdfunding campaign for LimeNET Micro — a low cost, fully standalone SDR platform with integrated GPS — is now live.

We haven’t made a formal announcement yet, but wanted the community to hear first as there are limited early birds.

Cheers,

Andrew

4 Likes

@andrewback
Few questions if possible :blush:

1. A small SO-DIMM form factor board plus ribbon cable to enable use of a classic/consumer Raspberry Pi
    is expected to be available. Any dependency on LimeNET Micro firmware that limits other unix small
    footprint single board computers to be used?

2. In Comparison table bellow:
    RF Bandwidth 61.44 MHz 30.72 MHz 0.27 MHz
    and
    Sample Rate 61.44 MSPS 30.72MSPS 1.0 MSPS
    Any other reason in LimeNET Micro hardware, except limiting processing power of RPI 3 ?

Regards
Dj

Nope.

I think SPI is used for sample interface and so will also limit throughput. As you might gather this is aimed at narrowband applications.

1 Like

Ordered my 5, thx!

1 Like

No less than that worth of efforts :smile:

I got plans for these little puppies. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can’t help but wonder what! DF?

I am wondering can this unit perform good enough for my DF application…
because of:

This can be enough for analog and digital 406 ELT devices
but for people with cell phones out of regular network, not.

@andrewback - Andrew,

And toward that narrowband application I would gather that this means on-channel transceiver operations in any mode? Lemme know - -

73 de Marty, KN0CK

LimeSDR-USB	LimeSDR-Mini	LimeNET-Micro
Interface	USB 3.0			USB 3.0			N/A

How come the interface is not listed as Ethernet. Since one could potentially be provided by the RPi CM3, well the USB 2.0 HS port (using a USB 10/100 NIC, which I am guessing is using one of the Microchip LAN95xx chips). Or would saying that, just be confusing, since it would not be the intended mode of operation.

Yep, it’s basically an integrated LimeSDR + Raspberry Pi + GPSDO. Should make a nice remote ham radio transceiver.

1 Like

I am in… (very few left on early bird positon)
Not sure that is good enough for my application.
Now can find out that :wink:

If you use a Raspberry Pi CM3 (4GB eMMC flash onmodule) instead of a CM3L (no onmodule flash), will the flash in the LimeNET Micro be bypassed ?

The reason I’m asking is because when it comes to OS’es with flash storage I have a long history of killing them with tiny files.

EDIT: Ignore my question, all I needed was a higher resolution image ( https://www.crowdsupply.com/img/801a/limenet-micro-bottom-with-pi-1_jpg_open-graph.jpg ) to see there there is a MicroSD slot for the CM3L, and I also missed that it was mentioned in the Connectivity details. I mistakenly thought that there was a eMMc chip soldered to the LimeNET Micro PCB.

How will SDRAngel and similar interface? I am confused because SDRAngel can generate different modes, but it depends on an interface such and HDMI or TCP and the Raspberry Pi Compute only has USB 2.0 (datasheet).

I believe so, but @Zack could confirm.

LimeNET Micro has an Ethernet port, which supports passive power-over-Ethernet also. So with SDRangel you would need to use the RESTful / web interface.

Thought it worth noting here a few updates that have been made to the design:

• It now will have standards compliant active PoE
  • USB will be used for the Raspberry Pi Compute Module <> Transceiver interface, which means higher bandwidth and sample rate (limited by RPi CM - figures TBC)
  • Connectors added for both the official RPi Touch Screen display and Camera
2 Likes

This is good news for my application…

Hi @andrewback,

I just backed the project, looks like a great development platform! Is there any update on what kind of sample rate we can expect from the micro? Is the RPi USB interface going to be used for anything other than transceiver interface (should get us close to 30MSPS 15MSPS Duplex throughput)?

Thanks!

RPi USB will be shared with Ethernet, just as it is on all Raspberry Pi boards, since the Broadcom SoC only has a single USB 2.0 port. No official figure on throughput yet, but will see if we can confirm this.