Stand-Alone Transceiver App for the LimeSDR - Who's First..?

This is an odd way of funding it but I am up for it. I am not sure than July 4 is a reasonable goal. I am willing to throw $50 into the pot though. So as soon as the survey says it’s worth doing let’s get going.

As far as pay rates for programmers: they vary quite a bit. The average hack is worth about $30/hr. An efficient expert with worth at least 10x that amount.I am talking about pricing in the USA. There are great programmers in Russia & Ukraine who may work for less.There are many programmers in India who will code for very little money, but I haven’t seen code of high quality come from India. The country is large enough that such a person may exist though.

What license would this code be under? I’d like some BSD type license. I could deal with GPL2 .

My two LimeSDRs are due to arrive in five days. It’s been a very long wait…

Edouard, @F4EXB

Great software, it runs fine for the RTL, but it won’t see my lime, lime runs fine under limesuite and sdrconsole, but SDRAngel isn’t seeing the lime at all, oh this is the Win64 latest version, am I missing a step…

Paul - NN4F

Hi Paul,

if you’re on Linux you can have a look at the previous comments which detail all steps you should take care of. On Windows the latest version and 3.4.4 too should work with the lime but only for 64 bits systems (tested on Win7 specifically). There you should do the usual Zadig stuff for USB support.

Best regards,
Edouard.

i wanted to use it on windows … read trough the document … and gave up

if there would be a complete win download … with install etc then ok

but what i have read is too complicated for me :frowning:

but i will give it another try

1 Like

Hello Edouard

My test on Win10 with ->
sdrangel64_v3.4.5.7z Windows 64 bits build
from here -> https://github.com/f4exb/sdrangel/releases
So far SDRAngel can not see LimeSDR on the other hand RTL-SDR stick V2 is working.
On the same Win 10 SDRConsole V3 is working fine with LimeSDR, SDRPLay RSP1 and RTL-SDR stick

Thank you for your efforts
Djani

i just download that release and report back

grmbl … does not start

it starts (for one tenth of a second) and then windows say sdrangel does not work anymore (error box) …hmpf

also tried the 32 bit version

that starts … but i can not select input device (and it does not work correct cause it does not draw the full screen)

Edouard,

Sorry for the LONG delay in getting back with you - just came back from the Dayton (Ohio) Hamvention in Xenia Ohio and couldn’t respond until now. Thanks for sending the latest information on transmit, and I completely understand. Please let us all know when there have been changes made to the Linux version of SDRAngel and I’ll be glad to recompile and try it here. The app is fabulous on receive once you know how to use it, and many are eagerly awaiting transmit functionality, too.

Again, keep us advised on your progress there -

73 de Marty, KN0CK

1 Like

One possible problem in Windows is that OpenGL is not installed or not installed corectly. In this case the program will open briefly before crashing with a characteristic blank window in place of the main spectrum window that uses OpenGL to display. This is what happens in my Win10 running inside a Virtualbox as my Virtualbox does not handle the bridge to the OpenGL running on the Linux host correctly.

1 Like

i am guessing that here is the problem …
i just tested if my graphic supports open gl … yes it does
but sdrangel still will not start
32 bit version shows a blank or “clear” on right side (where spectrum and waterfall should be i can see my desktop)
64 bit version shows same blank on right side but stops working after tenth of a second with an error box
any further idea what to check??

Open GL trouble?!
This is not the case on my Win 10 because:

So SW is running but no signal on RTL-SDR stick v2

Djani

1 Like

how can i upgrade my graphics that sdrangel runs on ly laptop?? is there an updated driver or so ?? does anybody know an online opengl test??

…ok found a tool … thatz says open gl2.0 is supported but no higher versions

now i have to know if sdrangel needs a higher opengl version

You have to expand the “Sampling devices” section a little bit by dragging down the bottom of the box. This will make the gain slider appear. The default gain is 0 so it is completely deaf. It should look like the screenshot here: https://github.com/f4exb/sdrangel/blob/master/plugins/samplesource/rtlsdr/readme.md

Best regards,
Edouard.

2 Likes

Right, thank you… now we at last know that Angel is working ok on Win10, now LimeSDR :smiley: to go

Djani

Edouard,

I’ve gotten mine to work - even on HF using Linux - but I have yet to get SDRAngel working with Win10 64-bit and Zadig with the LimeSDR. I tried installing the driver from Zadig, rebooting, and then running Zadig again to find the LimeSDR and then run SDRAngel and I wasn’t able to see LimeSDR as an option in the device menu for sink or source. When I run Zadig I lose the driver for SDRConsole because it’s reassigned to Zadig - so Windows ‘knows’ that the LimeSDR has to be driven from the driver that Zadig uses, but SDRAngel is not picking up on that. Frankly, I’m not ‘hard-over’ on making SDRAngel work on Windows because it works great in Ubuntu 16.04, but there will be others that aren’t Linux users that will want it to work in Windows - thus far I’m unable to get mine running in Win10 64-bit. So let us know what we’re doing wrong here…

Also, any progress on transmit audio…? Please advise when you can -

73 de Marty, KN0CK

work fine on win10 64bit

download sdrangel64 https://github.com/f4exb/sdrangel/releases/download/v3.4.5/sdrangel64_v3.4.5.7z
using this driver, https://github.com/myriadrf/Windows-drivers
and replace liblimesuite.dll file
https://mega.nz/#!2ZFk2S5Z!E_LUpvB5w_aKGEChADYkjZHbBhuqiS3Cz1Fa7Gcm4Cg

4 Likes

@jocover,

I downloaded and tried SDRAngel again with your DLL and drivers and it works PERFECTLY on Win10 in receive - so thanks for passing that along…! EVERYONE should use the files you’ve suggested to make SDRAngel work on Windows 7 to 10.

Have you had the opportunity to review the transmit code for this application? Since you have FooBar2000 working for AM/FM with the LimeSDR I just wondered if you could review why the audio is distorted in AM and FM on SDRAngel and offer a fix for that (and other modulation schemes, too - like SSB). Please let us know your thoughts on that.

73 de Marty, KN0CK

2 Likes

Thank you @jocover
On my side dll replacement just enough…

1 Like

[quote=“F4EXB, post:57, topic:1139, full:true”]
Hi, I am the main author/maintainer of SDRangel that supports LimeSDR for both Rx and Tx:
[/quote] Haha SDRangel has answered Marty’s prayers! :angel:

Nice work Edouard, merci beaucoupe6!

Hey Marty maybe that money that was getting waved around should be used to fund the documentation project.

1 Like

@F4EXB

Thanks for making available this open-source, amazing tool! It seems to have a tremendous potential if more developers can contribute to enhance the feature set.

How difficult it would be to add VSA features for advanced RF measurements? Features which are found in expensive software like Agilent 89600 VSA?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vsa+89600

Here is an advanced VSA 89600 feature analyzing LTE and WIFI waveforms concurrently:

1 Like

Hello,

there is already the Channel Analyzer NG (NG is for the “New Gen” version) that does something similar more or less. Well… much less to be honest but that’s a starting point. The problem with LTE and WiFi is that they obey some very specific protocols and are not at all generic.

The Channel Analyzer is aimed to be a general signal analysis tool a bit like the basic E4404A. Maybe we could add a generic clock recovery for various phase and frequency modulations that would help getting the symbol constellation for most common modulations. At the moment you can duplicate the instantaneous phase derivative (that is FM signal in fact) and slide one against the other which produce in XY mode some sort of symbol transition constellation for GMSK and MFSK variants.

For specific protocols one could go deeper in creating a specialized plugin. Most of the building bricks are common: scope, scope controls, decimators, …

Best regards,
Edouard

3 Likes