Stand-Alone Transceiver App for the LimeSDR - Who's First..?

Edouard,

Many thanks for the info - can you let me know what transmit antenna port is selected, too? Is it TX1-L, TX-1H, TX2-L or TX-2H? Please let me know what port or if it’s selectable.

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Did follow the instructions but always get this error msg/

In file included from /sdrangel/devices/limesdr/devicelimesdr.cpp:20:0:
/sdrangel/devices/limesdr/devicelimesdr.h:20:28: fatal error: lime/LimeSuite.h: No such file or directory
#include “lime/LimeSuite.h”
^
compilation terminated.
devices/limesdr/CMakeFiles/limesdrdevice.dir/build.make:62: recipe for target ‘devices/limesdr/CMakeFiles/limesdrdevice.dir/devicelimesdr.cpp.o’ failed
make[2]: *** [devices/limesdr/CMakeFiles/limesdrdevice.dir/devicelimesdr.cpp.o] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:276: recipe for target ‘devices/limesdr/CMakeFiles/limesdrdevice.dir/all’ failed
make[1]: *** [devices/limesdr/CMakeFiles/limesdrdevice.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:127: recipe for target ‘all’ failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

@Ancer,

You need to build as root (sudo cmake …/) …and all the rest the same way. ALSO VERY IMPORTANT, look in this thread about plugdev - - here’s what @gerryk sent me:

“…@martywittrock
The udev rules specify the USB device to be created with user root and group plugdev. By default, standard users aren’t members of this group, so I just did ‘usermod -a -G plugdev gerryk’, and logged out and back in…”

Make sure you do that when you compile everything complete.

Hope this helps - 73 de Marty, KN0CK

1 Like

@martywittrock

did all that but gonna try its again.

Where are you doing the build? What directory did you clone the git repo into?

Can you paste in the output of cmake ../

@gerryk

Now is more fsked lol im leaving be right back later.

Got its installed but got this error all the time did same setting @Barossa but no luck

https://pastebin.com/rLpHJ6WU

Hi Marty,

I realize that the readme with the screenshot is really inaccurate for the LimeSDR output plugin. In fact similarly to the input side next to the antenna icon there is an antenna selector. It has only 3 positions for Tx: No: none, Lo: Tx-L, Hi: Tx-H. The Tx number depends on the Tx instance you have started. First is Tx1 and #0 is shown on the top right next to the big frequency dial if you start another instance with the same LimeSDR device it will activate Tx2 and #1 will be shown.

Best regards and 73!
Edouard.

1 Like

Hi,

it seems you have trouble communicating with your lime. You should try first with LimeSutieGUI to make sure the basic examples work.

Best regards,
Edouard.

Edouard,

Thanks for the speedy reply on this - - I will try this out this afternoon and let you know the outcome here. I knew I was doing something wrong and now you’ve perfectly clarified that so I can try it later today…Stay tuned…! :slight_smile:

73 de Marty, KN0CK

@F4EXB

Didnt know there were an update in the card now its working but no audio coming out SdrAngel tried changing audio out but no luck and not sure whats new on the firmware i just found out its less sensitive now when i did gqrx test normally PGA gain less than half now its in full still low audio and low signal im picking up regular fm radio station.

Hello,

Here are the basic steps:

1. make sure the device is selected and you get some spectrum in the large window
  2. make sure a channel plugin is added and shows up in the Channels window
  3. audio plugins have a squelch except SSB make sure it is low enough so you get something out

Basically it should look like the screenshots posted above.

Please have a look at the documentation of the main window interface. It is now the last link on the home page of the Wiki.

Best regards.

2 Likes

Edouard,

I’m able to tune HF, VHF, and UHF and above frequencies on my LimeSDR in receive - works really well and it REALLY helps to see the tuned frequency in the spectra while tuning. I’m currently listening to my local AM radio station on 1540 kHz and it sounds outstanding with a 10kHz BW. As well, I’m able to tune ANYWHERE in the HF band provided that I recognize that the sampling rate is set to 30 MHz and the NCO is tuned to the section of the band one wants to listen to, along with the Main tuning being set to 30.0 MHz. The HF SSB copy is really clear and perfect, too. Love those controls - you can set them everywhere.

I’m also able to transmit in all modes (AM/FM/USB/LSB) after you pointed out the antenna settings and gain control - - those were hidden until I pulled the menu down to see them and set them. But the audio quality is pretty sketchy, meaning in AM or FM it’s pretty ‘robotic’ sounding and I’ve been trying all sorts of sampling rates, filtering and other functions but not improving on anything. I’m using a microphone off a gaming headset that normally sounds great and clear. I’m also using the PC resources (meaning that I’m using the HDA Intel PCH drivers). I’ve tried all sorts of audio driver and there no real difference. I’m not complaining - I think it’s great that I can hear anything intelligible in AM, FM, and SSB (I haven’t tried HF, just V/UHF right now). I even just brought it up as you had it at 435 MHz and setup a NBFM modulator and tried it - same thing…robotic sounding. Just wondering if you get normal speech from yours. My LimeSDR is on a 3.2GHz Intel PC with USB 3.0 and plenty of memory and disk space (not that disk space would matter for this, but for the record…). So it can keep up (I think)…but let me know.

Again, I know that transmit is experimental right now and I think what I’m seeing is just that. Just wanted to know if you’ve had better luck with voice audio in any of the modes. Also, I noticed that the CW generator is sending code and it sounds great over the air, but the characters seem different than what I remember…I’m pretty proficient with code. Is there a code setting other than speed? Please let me know that, too.

I’m pretty impressed with this SDRAngel application - It’s VERY flexible and I’m real happy that the Lime CAN transmit, albeit with some work to do on the audio in transmit. I look forward to further updates of SDRAngle to improve on what’s there in transmit. Someone that has an app (FooBar2000) that was made by @jocover that had perfect FM and AM audio. Possibly checking with him on some things he did or maybe you have it working by now…Just keep us advised of your efforts, Edouard.

Onward and upward…!

73 de Marty, KN0CK

1 Like

@F4EXB

Got it working but kinda intermittent i have to unplug the card if i want to change modulator which kinda annoying.

I got SDRangel compiled and installed, with everything else. Still waiting for my LimeSDR to be shipped. I really want to try URH.

Yes URH is pretty good program the only thing is in spectrum analyzer you can only put the frequency you want to measure i ask the creator of the program if he can add like start and end for the frequency so that we can used it as regular spectrum analyzer to tune antenna and duplexer.

Hello Marty,

if I got the LMS7002M specs right the NCO sits between the ADC/DAC and the hardware decimator/interpolator. It means that the NCO span is actually +/- the ADC/DAC actual rate around the LO. In other terms to tune all HF you can use a device to host sample rate of say 4 MS/s and a hardware decimation of 16 and you get +/- 32 MHz span which is enough with the LO set at 32 MHz (or below). This means that you don’t necessarily need a device to host sample rate of 30 MS/s which makes it pretty hard for any reasonable PC configuration. Again this hardware decimator/interpolator does great things and to my knowledge is unique in the RF chips used in affordable SDRs today.

I haven’t experimented much with LimeSDR in transmission to be honest. So far all my Tx tests were done mostly with the HackRF and it works well in any modes including ATV. The thing you say about the CW generator may indicate that the stream is not flowing regularly. I am pretty confident that the generator has the marks and spaces right but if some packets are dropped or wrongly repeated then of course this will mess up the final code that you can hear. In the same manner this can swallow up parts of the audio and render the robotic voice you’re talking about.

You appear to have plenty of horsepower under the hood of your PC. The current PC I am developing with is a gamer type laptop with a Core i7 5700HQ processor running at 2.7 GHz with 16 GB memory and USB 3.0 so it is a little bit below your specs. As I said in the first paragraph 30 MS/s on the device to host link is pretty hard so I would try to lower it under the 10 MS/s line and compensate with hardware interpolation to get the NCO span required for HF coverage.

Another thing I noticed is that you have to be very very conservative on the RF amp on output. Setting it above 4~6 dB messes up the RF signal.

Best regards and 73!
Edouard.

1 Like

You might be better served by the VNA application in the ‘examples’ directory of pyLMS7002 github.

Got this already but more option the better so that you can compare both test.

Fantastic work Edouard, this looks exactly what ive been wanting. Can finally use my bladerf and limeSDR (when it arrives!) for ham work. Really really pleased, will be checking out sdrangel asap.