Stand-Alone Transceiver App for the LimeSDR - Who's First..?

Issue opened on Github repo for generic clock recovery: https://github.com/f4exb/sdrangel/issues/33

This is a really nice application. Thanks for your hard work and making it freely available.

1 Like

it would be nice if i could get it to work also on my crappy old laptop but sadly it will not work here ā€¦ grmbl

problem is that my graphics only supports open gl 2.0 ā€¦ but sdrangel needs a higher opengl version (or that is set in the compiler to use a higher graphics)
i do not know the exact reason

what about using direct draw??? that works fine here (example sdrconsole v3 uses that) ā€¦ it should be possible to change the graphics so it will work also on this machine ā€¦ i have so many different sdrapps that do work fine ā€¦ but only sdrangel does not work (caused by the graphic that the programmer selected)

please ā€¦ change the graphics to a version that will also work on older machines (with smaller and older graphic cards)

It uses Qt5 and OpenGL 3.0+ and currently works on Linux, Apples OSX, and Microsoft Windows. Adding support for legacy windows hardware using code specific to the windows OS, does sound like a low return on time invested. The project is open source, if is something that you feel strongly about, maybe you should write the code and submit a push request. Well maybe talk to the developer first, to see if that is something they would want. The usual way is to contact them through the source code management system ( https://github.com/f4exb/sdrangel/issues ), with an issue which can be changed into a enhancement request.

the answer was ā€¦ go and buy a new pc ā€¦not what i wanna do in the next future ā€¦ if i could do the needed changes , i would , but i am not a programmer so I have no idea how i could change the graphics in sdrangel (otherwise i would change it and recompile) ā€¦hdsdr, sdrconsole v3, multipsk, sdrsharp etcx etc ā€¦ all these soft works even on my (somewhat old) machine
yes i can only use a few megs of bandwidth with the lime (in hdsdr 4 megs in sdrconsole only 2.5 megs) ā€¦ but i can use it ā€¦ sadly the maintainer of the soft will not change the graphic (seems all other users have a newer pc with better graphics card and a higher open gl version)

http://feedback.wildfiregames.com/report/opengl/device/Intel%20965/963%20Graphics%20Media%20Accelerator

only open gl 2.0 available for intel mobile 965 chipset

On my side I am able to run SDRAngel on Win10
But still no luck on Ubuntu 17.04,
within the same environment CubicSDR and GQRX are running okā€¦

So your laptop is 9+ years old, and this software will not run on it because the hardware acceleration used by the developer did not exist prior to August 2008. To me it seems like a backwards step for a developer to write legacy code that will useless in a couple of years time when most of the hardware that could run it will be dead (reminder: backup your data, the end is near).

If you feel that enough people world wide wanted and would pay for the feature maybe hire a software developer and pay them to write soon to be legacy source code. But to be honest, few developers are happy writing code that will be useless very shortly, so it will not be cheap.

QT5.10 is to have Vulkan support. One Vulkan feature advertised was ability to run on older hardware. Check your hardware and check Vulkan support.

But whatā€™s wrong with all those other software you mention? Is it lack of Tx? Maybe request Tx from those developers.

Why bother for a range of hardware that the owner himself qualifies as ā€œcrappyā€? You have to keep up with technology at some point. I had a look at Vulkan and this seems to be a more interesting direction as it advertises itself as a modern improvement over OpenGL. Yet I do not plan to make the move any time soon and I would like to carry out some benchmarks first.

2 Likes

My point is that the crappy hardware might find new life when Vulkan is more widespread. So itā€™s possible that there wonā€™t be a lot of new code to write to make that happen. That was one of the features that a lot of people liked hearing when Vulkan started getting attention. But I donā€™t know how far back Vulkanā€™s reach is, but the owner of the crappy hardware can check and see.

I agree that you have to keep up but letā€™s face it Mooreā€™s law ended (2004???) so thereā€™s a lot of useful ā€œoldā€ hardware around that can still be useful.

I also agree that people make unrealistic demands and comments for free/open software projects.

Hello,

what I like with Vulkan is that it seems to go forward. Downgrading the OpenGL version requirements is just a nonsense. Moreover this means going back to fixed shaders which was abandoned in GPU hardware a long long time ago. So anyway Iā€™ll keep an eye on Vulkan thanks for pointing this out.

Mooreā€™s law might have ended still new processors offer new possibilities. For example the Udoo X-86 Ultra SOC board that is populated with one of the new 14 nm from Intel (N3710) runs SDRangel very easily and has USB3, three 4k HDMI ports, SATA, 1 GB Ethernetā€¦

On the other hand I donā€™t count on increased processing power to hide software flaws. I donā€™t claim SDRangel code is perfect but I try to write code as efficient as possible and I think it is rather light on CPU.

[quote=ā€œF4EXB, post:133, topic:1139, full:trueā€]
Downgrading the OpenGL version requirements is just a nonsense.[/quote]

I agree.

[quote]
Mooreā€™s law might have ended still new processors offer new possibilities. For example the Udoo X-86 Ultra SOC board that is populated with one of the new 14 nm from Intel (N3710) runs SDRangel very easily and has USB3, three 4k HDMI ports, SATA, 1 GB Ethernetā€¦[/quote]

Future proof too with those 4k HDMI ports! Now I wonder if HDMI could be used bi-directionally? Thatā€™s a lot of bandwidth in one direction but I wonder if it could be used in both.

I have not noticed it hogging cpu, actually I donā€™t think I ever looked. Which means itā€™s never been a problem because I never had to look.

Hello,

I do not have a LimeSDR yet but I am hesitating to buy one as it is not entirely clear to me what SDR Ham transceiver software currently works (to date) with version 1.4 of the LimeSDR transceiver board. I am mostly interested by 160 - 6 M SSB operation.

Unless I am mistaken my understanding is that work is still under development for integrating LimeSDR into HDSDR , SDR console V3 and SDRAngel and that PowerSDR and QTRadio do not support LimeSDR (yet.). Could somebody further elaborate on this ? Is there reliable and performing Windows or Linux transceiver software available out there for serious HF operation or is the Betta software available still very experimental and under development?

Thanks
Regards
Peter
On7yi

Hi Peter,

My understanding is that SDRAngel is the only application that currently supports transmit for amateur radio use and Iā€™m not sure of the precise status.

1 Like

i was just asking if it is possible to ā€œdowngradeā€ to open gl version 2.0 or if in the graphics programming is there any ā€œspecialā€ function used that is only available in newer open gl versions?? ā€¦
if the builder of sdrangel can say ā€¦ ok no special functions used it can be downgraded ā€¦ so why not make that soft backwards compatible (usable on older machines) ā€¦
hams are cheap (most of those that i know) ā€¦ so why use a 2thousand bucks gamer pc for only some digital modes work (psk etc)
ā€¦
sdr radio console v3 is the most cpu hungy soft that i have here (and even that runs fine on my old pc with reduced bandwidth of 2.5 megs)
so the question still exists ā€¦ is in sdrangel a ā€œspecialā€ graphic function used that is only available in newer open gl version?!? ā€¦ if not ā€¦ it sure is possible to compile a sdrangel version that only needs open gl 2.0

Hello,

there is a very good reason for going 3.0+ and this is shaders vs fixed function pipeline. See: https://www.khronos.org/opengl/wiki/Fixed_Function_Pipeline

It is funny to see how hams are ready to spend 10k+ on a HF rig and cannot spend a fraction of the money on computer hardware. BtW SDRangel works fine on a Udoo x86 utra @ ~300 EUR.

So noā€¦ no downgrade to 2.0 in addition ā€œdowngradeā€ hurts my ears. OpenGL 3.0 and shaders appeared in 2008 which in computer time means pre-history so come onā€¦

Best regards,
Edouard.

7 Likes

SDR Console. Today Simon Brown announced that he has the donationware SDR Console v3 working on TX and RX with the Lime. This was the news many of us were waiting for as we all know what a great SDR RX program SDR Console is.

3 Likes

Alas he does not have access to the expansion board so he cannot implement the software for 0 to 10GHz TX/RX at this time. Shame as it would have been nice if he could have implemented it all at once.

QRadioLink is also quite compatible now with LimeSDR, although some transmit issues still remain to be solved. Main focus is on LPD and IoT digital protocols but also hobby communications.