SBC+LimeSDR(Mini) in a case

We are thinking of proposing a project to put a powerful SBC (Udoo X86 or lattepanda) and LimeSDR(Mini) in a small case, together with touch screen, battery.

With this type of device, it’s easier to do outdoor frequency survey (with nothing sticking out of your computer), or some prototyping of a standalone network device and seeing debug information easily on its screen.

How many people would need this kind of kit? Please let us know. Thanks.

2 Likes

@shao - Shao,

I’m using the LimeSDR and Lime Mini with the LattePanda (and UDOO Advanced for that matter) and it runs enormously well on that platform tied to the USB 3.0 resources. So your proposal is solid - hope this project works out for you, I may be interested in that case too -

73 de Marty, KN0CK

I have the Udoo X86 ultra for my LimeSDR USB.Works good. 4 BFM stations at once on receive.
Look at the new Udoo Bolt. MUCH faster & better.
I am putting the Lime, Udoo Ultra & an FT-857 PA deck in an old VX9 touchscreen computer for mobile operation.

Ed

Hi @martywittrock @AA7QQ

I attached a photo with what we currently did, there is a udoo x86 ultra inside the case with a hackrf (left) or a rtlsdr (right).

Its size is smaller than a 12’’ macbook. The thickness is 5.6cm(hackrf) and 4.4cm(rtlsdr).

We are evaluating the new model of lattepanda alpha and udoo bolt.

I think if we put the lattepanda alpha and limesdr mini inside, its size should be similar as the one with rtlsdr. But if we put udoo bolt and limesdr-usb inside, it might be larger.

2 Likes

Nice. I have the PA deck mounted, just need to bend up some aluminum to finalize the packaging.

Ed

1 Like

my vote :blush:

1 Like

Udoo Bolt & LimeSDR USB will be my next. Using another Ft857D PA section, MAC G5 enclosure & 1KW-1.5KW water cooled amps for HF-440.
The Bolt looks to be a killer little SBC.

Back 5 years ago, I hacked the ECU of a 2001 Dodge Ram with Cummins turbodiesel. Used the Udoo Quad for a replacement. Of course, I didn’t do the coding, as I am not good at all. That truck is still throwing out 435HP/880 FtLb.

Ed

I love the Udoo products.

1 Like

Also to remember, the Bolt is a 19VDC unit, as per the specs.

Ed

Udoo X86 Ultra
Well, after a few tweaks & tunes to the BIOS & some settings of the SDR-Console, I can now do 6 BFM stations, simultaneously.
91%-92% of CPU & every single “Bit” of memory.
No stuttering at all. All 6 stations playing over unpowered speakers from the Udoo at the same time.
I am letting it play for a while.
USB3.0 power meter shows 5.27V@.660 (Average) ma from the powered USB hub & 6 BFM stations.
TX uses only 527ma.
To check the “Chinese power meter”, I put a 2.5 ohm resistor as a load & the meter showed 2.491A at 5.07V. I consider that close enough.

So, to me, I think that a decent USB powered hub is just fine to run the LimeSDR-USB. I will never use an outboard supply again (Popped IC25 with external supply).

Does anyone know of a way to max out the draw from the LimeUSB, to just check if all is still stable?

Ed

The size of MAC G5 enclosure is like a desktop computer right? It seems to be different as our application as our device is designed to be portable.

Is the major space taken by the 1kw-1.5kw amplifier? Because I think udoo and limesdr won’t take much of the space.

Exactly. I can fit LimeSDR USB, Bolt, Amplifiers. Looks nice. Will be touchscreen in the side panel.
THe one I am finishing has Udoo Ultra, LimeSDR USB, Yaseu FT-857D PA/filters in old Honeywell VX9 forklift computer.

Ed