LimeSDR dimensions and case

Hello,
please what are dimensions between bolt holes and what is bolt hole diameter? Is form factor of LimeSDR same as HackRF, BladeRF, Raspberry Pi or some other popular board?

I am asking mainly because I want to create my own case (probably for both LimeSDR and Raspberry Pi 3 to fit together). Or will you sell cases for LimeSDR separately (I have backed Early Bird edition, which is without case if I am not wrong)?

Thank you

Hi @mikos you can get exact board dimension from the board CAD files. You can find the in this [link] .

The early bird comes without the case, you are right… I’m not sure if we sell cases seperatly yet, please follow LimeSDR site for updates.

Short answer

board version		    : v1.2 
board size                  : 100 mm x 60 mm
board thickness             : 1.6 mm +/- 10 %

Four 3mm diameter holes were drilled
 one hole at  3.85 mm,  3.85 mm
 one hole at 96.15 mm,  3.85 mm
 one hole at 96.15 mm, 56.15 mm
 one hole at  3.85 mm, 56.15 mm

If the board version changes before they ship, the above may change.

It is a shame that it is not one of the Sick of Beige standard PCB sizes commonly used in open hardware projects.
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Sick_of_Beige_compatible_cases
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Sick_of_Beige_standard_PCB_sizes_v1.0

Long answer (where the short answer came from)

board size                  : 100 mm x 60 mm
board thickness             : 1.6 mm +/- 10 %
number of layers            : 12 (10 inner)

Drill files
	- LimeSDR_1v2.DRR -> Drill report detailing the tool assignments, hole sizes, hole count and tool travel. 
Tool       Hole Size               Hole Tolerance               Hole Type       Hole Count   Plated         Tool Travel
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
T8      3mm (118mil)                                              Round             4         PTH        236.90mm (9.33inch)

https://web.archive.org/web/20071030075236/http://www.excellon.com/manuals/program.htm

M48              <- Beginning of a Part Program Header
;Layer_Color=9474304
;FILE_FORMAT=4:4
METRIC,LZ        <- Measure Everything in Metric with leading zeros
;TYPE=PLATED
... snip ...
T8F00S00C3.0000 <- Pick Up Tool 8; Z-Axis feed rate 0mm/second; Spindle RPM 0; Tool Diameter 3.0mm
... snip ...
T08 <- Select Tool 8
X000385Y000385 <- gotox 3.85 mm and gotoy 3.85 mm drill a hole
X009615 <- gotox 96.15 mm drill a hole
Y005615 <- gotoy 56.15 mm drill a hole
X000385 <-gotox  3.85 mm drill a hole
... snip ...
2 Likes

Thank you very much!

“probably for both LimeSDR and Raspberry Pi 3 to fit together”

The lack of USB3 will be a big issue there,
Maybe you want to use one of the odroids with a USB3 port.

Even the Odroid-C2 does not have USB3 … On the Odroid-C2 the OTG USB is still usb2 …
There are just a few Odroids that have USB3 available

Ill live with the lower USB throughput …

I was not writing about c2, but about the more expensive ones with usb3. I am not quit sure how far you will get with USB2.

Well … as an update … i can see up to 3mhz of spectrum with the Odroid-C2. About 1Mhz spectrum with an Odroid-X2 that is also using a DisplayLink USB 7" display .

So it does work … you will not see the whole 60mhz spectrum … i have not tried too hard yet …

Im guessing that the bolt/screw holes are 3mm …

What are people using for stand off’s? copper, aluminium … plastic ?

brass

I see that your screw heads are abit large … and you used insulators …

Do you have the same interference on the bottom of the board with the stand off nuts?

I wonder if soldering copper strips along the edge/corner would be a good alternative …

Yes, you notice insulators on top, but bellow is pure brass and some silicone
(can be spotted bellow on Al case too. Insulators are used to be on the safe
side regarding screws and possible crashing of PCB with pressure …

Not soldering, but copper rail along both sides can be good option…

Dj

I’ve mounted my LimeSDR in a case. I bought a Hammond 1455K1602 (Digi-Key HM978-ND). I selected a case that was longer than the board so I could add an internal preamp / amp at a later time. The case bottom slides off, so I could mount the board directly to the bottom of the case. Given the need for a heat sink, I might mount it to the top of the case.

Initially, I’ve mounted the board isolated from the case, other than the RF inputs and USB connector. The SoftRock SDRs are quite prone to ground loops, so they’re typically mounted isolated.

My end plates aren’t nearly as nice as the Luftek ones.

Glen

1 Like