Minecraft style video over the air with the LimeSDR-mini

Hi.

Last year I set myself a goal to transmit low resolution digital video with the LimeSDR-mini.
High resolution video using DVB-T / DVB-T2 has been done, as Evariste showed us a while ago.
Myself I went for the other end of the spectrum. How much RF bandwidth is it really necessary to broadcast a digital video signal that can still be usable (larger than a post stamp)?

So my software uses a 250 kbit/s DQPSK modem which fits the radio signal in 150 KHz, about the same bandwidth as commercial FM. The video size is not great, 320 x 240 upscaled to 640 x 480 which is why it resembles Minecraft.
Seems to be enough to at least show a face. As a bonus fits well in the 433 MHz ISM band should you lack an amateur radio license.

See the demo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3yfNW8g-JI

Also, since all the code is open source, I’d like to raise a challenge to LimeSDR hackers: how much narrower can you get a signal that can transmit the same resolution as above? Any video compression algorithm goes as long as it uses open source code.

Regards,
Adrian

3 Likes

@adim - Adrian,

That’s incredible, Adrian…!! WELL DONE…!! I’d like to try this on my Mini, too…! :slight_smile: !!

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Thanks Marty. By all means do try it, I could use any bug reports :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very cool! Is it possible to run this on an Android handset and use its camera?

Hi Andrew,

I’d say yes (haven’t tried it). Would probably require a beefier quad core CPU if you need to multitask while doing that. The video data modem does consume about twice the resources needed for Codec2 digital voice for instance.

1 Like

In case anybody doubts this, the message above is spam.

Thanks, deleted the post and that account, which had also created another spam post around 1 year ago.

Note that you can flag posts as spam and this makes it harder for me to miss them.