LimeSDR under SDR-Console

Simon,

I just pulled down your latest V3.0 - - what IMG and RBF did you program to get this working on your HW (probably the same revision as mine since you’re a developer and I’m a blogger)…? Please let me know as soon as possible and I’ll try this later tonight after work - thanks,

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Hi Marty,

Read through this thread, Andrew showed me the v1.2s images / firmware to load.

Simon,

I concur on the images on 10Msps, very bad here, i took it to 60MSps only really usable below 10Msps 2.5 works great, looks like a lot changed from the previous setup, I agree, you shouldn’t release this to the masses yet, quite a few crashes…

Marty,

Looking forward to your feedback. My code is the same, all that’s changed is in fact LimeSuite.dll and the firmware in your board.

Simon,

Roger that - I’ll make those changes and give it a try. I’m assuming that the old Cypress USB 3.0 drivers worked with the loads you had for V1.2 HW? Lemme know that, too - it’s a brave new world for the LimeSDR these days…I’m looking for a hug with this many changes… :smiley:

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Simon,

No joy…The version you pointed me to installed great and I launched it, but no joy…I’m not able to set a bandwidth with it…See picture:

I look to you for guidance as to my wayward ways with my shiny new LimeSDR… :slight_smile: I have that same LimeSDR operating with GQRX in Windows and it’s currently in the background giving me weather at 162.475 MHz and I can tuned the FM band with it…No HF yet…

Lemme know what’s happening…73 de Marty, KN0CK

@martywittrock Marty,

Try editing your definitions and deleting that entry. Let SDR Console fine the device again. I had a similar issue where the old SDR Consoles definitions were there, and it had incorrect key/value pairs. After re-adding the device, I got the bandwidth setting back.

Hi Marty, as noted previously, if you update the firmware and gateware you will need to install the new signed driver on Windows, since the USB VID and PID changes. This is not necessary on any other operating system.

@martywittrock Are you able to use HF on the version 1.2 board + GQRX as you were before with the current software? I found a bug that involves the NCO sign swapping on the new hardware rev (its just flipped register-wise and needs the software to compensate). This affects anything using SoapySDR layer tuning below 30 MHz. So I just fixed that in the git repository.

TKtech,

That did the trick…! I rarely fire up my PC when I’m getting ready for work, but there I was in my ‘jammies’ in a sleep-induced fog at 5:30 AM this morning removing the old LimeSDR definition and having SDRConsole search for a new one - it found the new instance, started the Console, and it played…Albeit with the issues that are currently being addressed - - some found by @joshblum regarding how the old and new hardware has a flipped register that affects HF. I’m sure that @SimonG4ELI will find that and work that soon. But I wanted to let you know that your suggestion worked and that’s one for the logbook.

Thanks again for passing that along - it worked great…!

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Andrew,

Signed drivers are now installed and operational. If possible, is it possible to take the entire driver subdirectory in Github and make it downloadable for future Backers? I was able to download all the drivers except the .INF file - - it came up as a text file and renaming it caused some issues until I found a way to download it clean (which took a couple tries). But I replaced the driver set I have and replaced it with the signed drivers for Win10 and it worked great - - which lead to GQRX and SDRConsole functioning shortly thereafter. So I have the new LimeSDR functional - now I just have to see if I can also get the V1.2 HW updated with the new firmware to be compatible, too.

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Josh,

COOL…! That will greatly help - - But I’m using GQRX on Windows, is that the version that was fixed and added to a Pothos install? Please advise how I can install this because I WANT to try this on my Windows box (the only platform I’ve changed to the new LimeSDR drivers and such).

Lemme know as soon as possible - thanks, Josh…!

Marty

Hi Marty, you can do this with any GitHub repo and simply select “Clone or download” and from there Download ZIP. In this case the direct URL is:

https://github.com/myriadrf/Windows-drivers/archive/master.zip

Although I’ll look at adding them to downloads.myriadrf.org also.

1 Like

Josh,

Are you referring to an update made in the lime git repository or do you write GQRX?

@SimonG4ELI you need to build from the master branch of the Lime Suite GitHub:

Josh is one of the Lime Suite developers.

Gqrx is developed by @csete.

Andrew,

Thanks. My code always comes from the master branch, Josh’s fix is for HF which I haven’t tested yet. Who is the person we should talk with regarding the images with lower sample rates?

I think either @Zack or @joshblum will be best positioned to look into the image issue you are seeing.

Just to confirm the details about the fix:

• The change is on the master branch of LimeSuite.
  • I will update various binaries, but that will take some time.
  • This only effects clients of the SoapySDR API

@SimonG4ELI What API from LimeSuite are you using for SDR console? We have the SoapySDR stuff, but there is also a C layer, and we do expose the lower level stuff for getting at the LMS7 RFIC.

I ask because I’m not sure if the HF tuning is something being implemented within SDR Console by manually controlling LO and NCOs, or as SoapySDR setFrequency() which handles the tuning of both under the hood to achieve the overall center frequency. And I believe that we may need to expose a API to set the sign on the NCO for this reason.

Second question, with the lower sample rates and images: it may be an issue of tuning/reducing the baseband bandwidth to match. So I was curious if that was something you tried, or what settings were in use (frequency, sample rate, and filter bw). Just to double check some things on my end.

1 Like

Hi Josh,

I use LimeSuite.dll the header file LimeSuite.h and the API document “LMS API - Quick start guide”. This was working 100% with the codebase from September 26th, 2016. The new firmware / LimeSuite.dll has introduced the problems.

HF tuning did work, although the filters in the V1.2s boards made it hard to use - marty posted some screenshots / videos.

The situation with the images - this you can test and reproduce with the LimeSDR-USB Quick Test program. Try 5MHz with the FM Stereo band, see the signals, compare to the same spectrum with a 10MHz bandwidth.

I’ve changed nothing in my code since September 2016 other than compiling and linking against the latest github code.

I’m happy to talk on SKYPE, you can use my software to see the images - compare these with FFT Viewer.

Simon,

I’m at 10mhz bandwidth, if I tune up, I get these spikes, if I tune up past the current band edge they will disappear, I can then tune back down to that frequency and they are gone… Very strange…