LimeSDR Mini Programming failed - Help or RMA please

I have a brand new LimeSDR Mini V1.2, which I am trying to use on a proven Raspberry Pi Digital TV Transmitter software/hardware build (RPi 3B with powered USB2 hub, Raspbian Stretch Lite, LimeSuite v18.10.0).

The problem is that it reports “Programming failed! Read operation failedled! Read operation failed (/home/pi/.local/share/LimeSuite/images/18.10/LimeSDR-Mini_HW_1.1_r1.27.rpd)” whenever I try to update it to Gateware Version 28 (which is required for the application). Full transcript below:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ LimeQuickTest
[ TESTING STARTED ]
->Start time: Sun Jan 13 17:04:12 2019

->Device: LimeSDR Mini, media=USB 2.0, module=FT601, addr=24607:1027, serial=1D424017823C56
Warning: USB3 not available
  Serial Number: 1D424017823C56

[ Clock Network Test ]
->REF clock test
  Test results: 39040; 52269; 65466 - PASSED
->VCTCXO test
  Results : 6711014 (min); 6711181 (max) - PASSED
->Clock Network Test PASSED

[ FPGA EEPROM Test ]
->Read EEPROM
->Read data: 12 07 19 12 07 19 02
->FPGA EEPROM Test PASSED

[ LMS7002M Test ]
->Perform Registers Test
->External Reset line test
  Reg 0x20: Write value 0xFFFD, Read value 0xFFFD
  Reg 0x20: value after reset 0x0FFFF
->LMS7002M Test PASSED

[ RF Loopback Test ]
->Configure LMS
->Run Tests (TX_2 -> LNA_W):
  CH0 (SXR=1000.0MHz, SXT=1005.0MHz): Result:(-14.8 dBFS, 5.00 MHz) - PASSED
->Run Tests (TX_1 -> LNA_H):
  CH0 (SXR=2100.0MHz, SXT=2105.0MHz): Result:(-14.2 dBFS, 5.00 MHz) - PASSED
->RF Loopback Test PASSED

=> Board tests PASSED <=

Elapsed time: 2.67 seconds

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ LimeUtil --make
Make device
  Device name: LimeSDR-Mini
  Expansion name: UNSUPPORTED
  Firmware version: 5
  Hardware version: 2
  Protocol version: 1
  Gateware version: 1
  Gateware revision: 26
  Gateware target: LimeSDR-Mini
  Serial number: 0x1d424017823c56
  Free connection... OK

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ LimeUtil --update
Connected to [LimeSDR Mini [USB 2.0] 1D424017823C56]
Programming failed! Read operation failedled! Read operation failed (/home/pi/.local/share/LimeSuite/images/18.10/LimeSDR-Mini_HW_1.1_r1.27.rpd)
Programming failed! Read operation failed

Programming update failed! : Programming failed! Read operation failed
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

After this, all further attempts to communicate with the LimeSDR over USB fail until the power is recycled. After powering up again, I get exactly the same behaviour.

The device does seem to transmit, although the waveform/spectrum is not good because of the gateware mis-match.

The software build (The BATC Portsdown DATV Transmitter) has worked without problems with other LimeSDR Minis and LimeSDR USBs, and the problem with this particular LimeSDR Mini is reproducible on multiple hardware instances.

Is there anything that I can try to get it to program, or does the device need RMA?

Thanks,

Dave

Does this file exist and is it non-zero in size? I’ve seen it before where failure to download has resulted in a file of zero bytes being created, which obviously then results in a programming failure.

@andrewback Thanks for the suggestion, but all present and correct:

pi@raspberrypi:~/.local/share/LimeSuite/images/18.10 $ ls -l
total 564
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi 577536 Sep 27 12:33 LimeSDR-Mini_HW_1.1_r1.27.rpd

Dave

Dave,

Everything OK here with upgrading this morning firmware :
Make device
Firmware version: 6
Hardware version: 1
Gateware revision: 28
Serial number: 0x1d393880a4f879
Free connection… OK

But my hardware is revision 1 !

Evariste

Thanks, not sure what else to suggest.

@Zack, any ideas?

Hi @DaveG8GKQ,

I would suggest to set max_usb_current=1 in config.txt file. Use a decent power supply for RPi (5V @ 2.5A at least). Do you have a chance to try update procedure on different machine?

Hi @Zack

Thanks, I had already tried that.

My normal test setup has a powered USB hub (having had power problems with RTL-SDRs and video capture dongles). Using this, I monitored the 5v rail (on the LimeSDR Mini JTAG Connector) with an oscilloscope during programming and there were no visible events. After a reboot, I repeated and monitored the 3v3 rail during programming and again it was rock steady. Have also tried on different RPis - same result.

The same setup successfully programmed another LimeSDR Mini V1.2 on Friday and has previously programmed my Mini V1.1 multiple times (when I was struggling with the effects of a firmware change).

Dave

Hi @DaveG8GKQ,

Do you have access to Windows machine?

Hi @Zack

Yes, but it does not currently have any LimeSDR software installed. What are you suggesting that I should try?

Dave

Hi @DaveG8GKQ,

Download this application. If you get an error about missing ‘MSVCP140.DLL’ when launching the application, then you need to install C++ Redistributable.
Then just push Program EEPROM.

OK @Zack

EEPROM programmed OK.EEPROM

But no change in programming behaviour:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ LimeUtil --make
Make device
  Firmware version: 5
  Hardware version: 2
  Gateware revision: 26

Serial number: 0x1d424017823c56
  Free connection... OK

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ LimeUtil --update
Connected to [LimeSDR Mini [USB 2.0] 1D424017823C56]
Programming failed! Read operation failedled! Read operation failed (/home/pi/.local/share/LimeSuite/images/18.10/LimeSDR-Mini_HW_1.1_r1.27.rpd)
Programming failed! Read operation failed

Programming update failed! : Programming failed! Read operation failed

I also tried with a new RPi build that attempted to program with 1.28 - this failed in the same way.

Dave

If you have Altera USB Blaster, then you can try to re-program the board. Arrange RMA with CrowdSupply, if not.

@DaveG8GKQ If you don’t have an Altera Blaster, but do have OpenOCD supported hardware, this may be worth a go. See:

Thanks @Zack and @andrewback

Unfortunately, I don’t have much digital test/programming equipment as my main interest is in generating RF (in case you hadn’t guessed), so it’s going back for RMA.

Dave

Sent you e-mail just now.