Status of gr-limesdr and LimeSDR Mini 2.0 in GNU Radio

Hello all,

I’ve been doing some reading through the forums and guides and I’m a bit confused. It seems that LimeSDR blocks are only supported through GNU Radio 3.7 (maybe 3.8 according to the github repo), but I need to use GNU Radio for a class and projects. I currently am trying to run this on a Lime Mini 2.0 which is introducing other headaches with software compatibility/updates.

Can anyone comment on the status of using Lime with GRC: Do you use an old version of GRC? The Soapy (or osmo, but idk how to use this) Source? Any suggestions for a best course of action or how you are able to use the Lime as a source in GNU Radio would be greatly appreciated. I am aware of being able to run old versions of GRC through docker as well, but this would hopefully be a last resort if there’s no other workarounds (I want to use a newer version of GNU radio if possible).

Moving forwards we will be maintaining the gr-limesdr blocks as part of the new Lime Suite NG driver stack. This is still in heavy development, but you can find documentation at:

https://limesuiteng.myriadrf.org/

This will be updated over time, with in particular more developer documentation. However, if you’re using gr-limesdr and not the native API, you shouldn’t really notice any difference.

I’m transitioning from LimeSuite to LimeSuiteNG with LimeSDR-USB and then to LimeSuiteNG with the XTRX. I am evaluating and testing throughout this process. Everything is built from source in ~/.local (although I will keep an Ubuntu system with packaged versions nearby for comparison). I have LimeSuite and LimeSuiteNG working side by side. QUESTION: can I install gr-limesdr in the legacy LimeSuite and install the gnuradio plugin of LimeSuiteNG in parallel?

Another one for @ricardas.

At this moment both gr-limesdr versions won’t be able to coexist, as they share same naming. I’ll need to overhaul naming and symbols to ensure there are no collisions between the two.

As well as the NG namespace change I’ve been thinking that we perhaps ought to rename the GNU Radio blocks to gr-limesuiteng, for naming consistency and particularly with the advent of the plugin support.

I’m for that!! The consistency has been very good thus far so why not continue.