Stand-Alone Transceiver App for the LimeSDR - Who's First..?

@SimonG4ELI,

Simon, I’m not arguing the point - I’m trying to get SOMETHING started and done on this. The market has waited long enough and the crowdfund is the incentive. I’m not asking anyone to work for $100 to produce software that’s worth several thousand dollars, I’m just willing to put $100 up against all the other backers $20…The crowdfund will be open to any level of contribution the backer wants to do. The end result is to have the pool of funds as the incentive. Right now no one is offering anything to anyone to do this.

Let me add this - If the market goes long enough without full capabilities of the LimeSDR being realized, there’s going to be a lot of them on EBay and then there will be no market opportunity left but to a handful of researchers who won’t care about an app like this because they’ll be using GRC or Pothos.

73 de Marty, KN0CK

LOL! 25 years ago, those days are gone my friend.
I get apporached for my contracts as well and am well aware of the going rates right now.
$2000 a day isn’t on the table except for Sr Management or board Directors…

Marty,

I appreciate your desire for TX software but your approach is a legal minefield. I will be adding TX support this year, I’m sure a couple of Linux programs can have TX support for the LimeSDR added. 2.5 months is not enough time for what you want.

The LimeSDR has only been available for about 6 months or so, software takes time to write, most programmers in the ham arena have to also earn a living.

V3 of my code is at least 4,000 hours’ work, in all probability nearer to 5,000.

7 Likes

Is there a plan for maintaining it? What happens when the underlying O/S or one of the dependencies receives an update and the app breaks?

hello marty
cause we also have 23cm 13cm and 9 cm bands … i would like to also have video rx/tx (analog and maybe dvbt/dvbs???)

1 Like

I would support this great proposal but I’m still waiting for a realistic date to receive the LimeSDR hardware. The software isn’t much use if there is no hardware to play with! Tony.

Sigi - I think some German hams are developing television for the 10GHz GEO satellite.

It’s never to late to learn how to code :slight_smile: .

3 Likes

@andrewback,

The code is open source and it’s available to the community to keep up whether it’s in Linux or Windows and with the expectation that once the community has something it owns - - just like the LimeSDR HW issues being resolved by the community now - - then enhancements can be made to the SW including keeping it current with the changes in an OS. This intent is no different than what’s happening in the LimeSDR community now. People have wants and needs, and they’re either resolving it or they’re taking it on themselves.

73 de Marty, KN0CK

V3 preview of your code has been awesome so far. Great work, looking forward to seeing where you are planning on taking it.

1 Like

@dg9bfc,

All special-purpose demods are a stretch goal and are comprised of demod plug-in modules that the app can refer to to demodulate special modes. I’m not looking for the app to be weighted-down with everything in one compile. The only demods that HAVE to be running by the deadline are: AM/FM/USB/LSB/CW.

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Well,

For the LimeSDR the biggest feature will be transmit. In general the digital modes package is a major milestone for me, aiming for end of 2017 for this.

@csete
Dream job indeed, FUNNY! But you know it’ll never work out that way.

@martywittrock you should create a github project for this and get the ball rolling. This also puts you in the driver’s seat. Any project has to have the go-to person a.k.a.[details=BDFL]Benevolent Dictator For Life[/details]

Your original post here would be the Readme file.

Also there is a project that looks suitable for this idea:

And last but not least you need to offer a LimeSDR as shiny gadgets are always an excellent enticement for programmers. Maybe Limemicro will donate one for the cause.

1 Like

@hTo137,

I like it…! It may have to be the ‘fallback’ strategy if there’s not enough LimeSDR users that respond to the poll I created on this. I took a look at ‘Liquid-DSP’ and that looks pretty interesting by itself, too. I’m not sure if I’m a dictator more than an evangelist for this LimeSDR cause. I know I want to see more happening than what’s occurring at the moment in terms of a full up transceiver app, but it’s glacial right now…I completely understand that development takes time, but reuse from other SDR jobs makes that development go faster and I have to think a lot of the developers have this ‘in the can’ right now, but focused on other things… :-/

Stay tuned…

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Sounds like you know something we don’t. :wink: Is someone sitting on code but are waiting for some :heavy_dollar_sign: money :heavy_dollar_sign: first? Not unreasonable but a strange way to get funding. Sort of like a ransom.

Maybe a better approach would be to convince them that they should determine how much time/money is required and then launch a crowdfunding campaign.

One thing about hardware is that if there are good apps then that will sell the hardware. But, as has been mentioned here already, maintaining the software is the hard part as it requires a long commitment. And often it’s not fun for an opensource app. available to the teeming masses.

@hTo137,

Nah - there’s nothing sinister going on in the background…I think a lot of this has to do with other SDRs at the moment that are ‘paying gigs’ - and that’s fine…Most of the developers, in time, will finally get around to it on the Lime, but until that happens everyone is either ‘rolling their own’ or waiting for a miracle to happen…For me, it’s a little of both…Creating a Crowdfund for this, I would hope, would sweeten the pot from just a handout/freebie and accelerate things a little.

Hang in there…We all are…

73 de Marty, KN0CK

This is why I thought you knew of an existing implementation.

BTW are there any tx/rx opensource apps right now for other hardware?

@hTo137,

You know, HDSDR is capable of transmit if you enable it and I’ve mentioned before that it wouldn’t take much to get that running by coming up with the transmit half in the same ExtIO_LimeSDR.DLL - the receive is already there. SoDaRadio also comes to mind - it supports Ettus radios right now. And I’ve laid-in a message to Pavel already about putting a wrapper around what exists and making it compatible with openHPSDR. If the LimeSDR could be Metis-compatible then the doors would blow right open - that would be cool.

The future is bright for A LOT of people…My bet is still on SDRConsole finishing the job, but the pot’s coming to a slow rolling boil and anything could happen right now…These are exciting times for the Lime…We have no idea who’s working on what right now other than those developers that have committed and commented in this forum.

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Sorry, I am last one.

These things take time, as everyone knows time == money.

I hope you find your funding. But I think a better approach is to find a programmer(s) with the skill and pay them to determine how much time is involved. If they’re interested and vetted then you can create a crowdfund to pay them to do the work.

I am not a ham and so know very little about that style of tx/rx.

Here’s my naive stab at requirements (in no particular order):

• vocoder - for voice to tx (probably opensrc available)
  • interfaces - ptt-audio->usb->lime
  • demodulators - to get from vocoder to variety of protocols
  • gui interfaces - for tuning the above

You may also find grants. That is still a thing.

+1. I suspect this will work far better than a race, both in terms of motivating potential funders — much more tangible and less of a lucky draw — and the developer, who won’t be racing to maybe win some reward (or not).

I’d also recommend putting in place more concrete plans for support, as people are less likely to fund the development of software where there is no identified maintainer. Sure, we do get contributions to Lime Suite of bug reports and on occasion pull requests — and for which we are incredibly grateful — but there’s a ton of engineering that goes on in the background that’s undertaken by paid engineers.