Running your LimeSDR on GNSS_SDR on Ubuntu 17.10

Marty, et al,

Interestingly I ran the volk_gnsssdr_profile command from a previous post and then, I could run the LimeMini >20min and it was tracking and logging PVT fine. I then added +3db to all signal source gains and I could acquire in 44s. Now the Loss of lock message only occurs for sats not in view, as it should. Looks good!

Try these in the Conf file for LimeMini:
;SignalSource.gain=40
SignalSource.gain=43
;SignalSource.rf_gain=40
SignalSource.rf_gain=43
;SignalSource.if_gain=30
SignalSource.if_gain=33

1 Like

Marty,

57s to acquire and generate PVT with:

SignalSource.gain=40
;SignalSource.gain=43
SignalSource.rf_gain=40
;SignalSource.rf_gain=43
;SignalSource.if_gain=30
SignalSource.if_gain=33

It appears the IF gain is the dominant improvement source. Iā€™d like to know how high we can go before damage.

@osborn

Iā€™ve done more testing with this (about a year ago) with the USB LimeSDR since the Mini wasnā€™t set up to do this easily (at the time - thatā€™s changed now). So thatā€™s my only reference point.

I have seen the issue youā€™re talking about and the primary reason that it occurs is that we lose acquisition of the signal and you get ā€˜junkā€™ messages in the stream. It comes at either increasing the gain of the LimeSDR (or Mini) or getting a better, higher gain or different positioning, antenna. In the instance I found with testing this, you have to increase the gain of the LimeSDR because the antenna gain was fixed and not changeable (easily) - applying a new gain setting was the easiest way for me to get more consistent results. You mentioned in a later thread that thereā€™s a threat to creating a hardware failure by increasing the gains of the LimeSDR - this would only be an issue if youā€™re using an antenna or have other gain blocks in the system that would saturate the front end. If thatā€™s the case, then use the gain settings as-is and just try a higher gain antenna. Otherwise, adjusting the gains up in the short run would be your easiest and best short term fix.

Hope this helps - keep us all advised on your progress -

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Hello @martywittrock and @osqzss

Thanks for this post.

I made some efforts and finally both GNSS-SDR and LimeSDR are installed on ubuntu 18.04 and ready to work. The GNSS-SDR passed My first position fix and SoapySDRUtil --prob find the LimeSDR without any problem. Now Iā€™m trying to feed the LimeSDR with a Spirent simulator and run the GNSS-SDR by using this conf. file https://github.com/gnss-sdr/gnss-sdr/blob/next/conf/gnss-sdr_GPS_L1_LimeSDR.conf

I encounter the following error:

Initializing GNSS-SDR v0.0.14.git-next-419eff942 ā€¦ Please wait.
Logging will be written at ā€œ/tmpā€
Use gnss-sdr --log_dir=/path/to/log to change that.
OsmoSdr arguments: driver=lime,soapy=1
gr-osmosdr 0.1.4 (0.1.4) gnuradio 3.7.11
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd miri hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy airspyhf soapy redpitaya freesrp

FATAL: SoapySDR::Device::make() no match

Trying to fill up 1 missing channel(s) with null source(s).
This is being done to prevent the application from crashing
due to gnuradio bug #528.

Set RX Antenna:
Actual RX Rate: 0 [SPS]ā€¦
Actual RX Freq: 0 [Hz]ā€¦
PLL Frequency tune error: -1.57542e+09 [Hz]ā€¦
Actual RX Gain: 0 dBā€¦
Actual Bandwidth: 0 [Hz]ā€¦
E0122 12:46:28.883955 29576 pass_through.cc:99] This implementation only supports one input stream
E0122 12:46:28.884174 29576 pass_through.cc:100] 8
E0122 12:46:28.950374 29576 gnss_flowgraph.cc:701] itemsize mismatch: hybrid_observables_gs0:0 using 152, copy2:0 using 8
E0122 12:46:28.950464 29576 control_thread.cc:303] Unable to connect flowgraph
Total GNSS-SDR run time: 0.00653797 [seconds]
GNSS-SDR program ended.

Any idea what is the problem and what should I do? I appreciate itā€¦

Best regards
Amir

@zeusabn,

About the only thing I can think of is that SoapySDR has changed since the time I wrote the article on how to interface the LimeSDR to GNSS_SDR. When I did this (so long ago - maybe 3 years) it all worked per the procedure I wrote. Over time SoapySDR has changed to adapt for other things and it may be due to that - there is an incompatibility now or there are variables in SoapySDR that now exist that didnā€™t exist then (or removed then to now). The only thing I can recommend is using the SoapySDR version that existed at the time the article was written and work from there. Youā€™d have to start from a complete clean compile, tooā€¦Not sure this will help, but I think itā€™s the most likely culpritā€¦

73 de Marty, KN0CK

1 Like

@osqzss whatā€™s the model number of the antenna that you are using? And whatā€™s that grey thing with many pins and a usb cable?

@osborn,
Hey I am also trying to capture GPS signals using LimeSDR. Apart from a Bias Tee and a GPS Patch Antenna, did you use any other hardware component? (like a filter or an attenuator) as I have ordered the Bias Tee and is yet to arrive. Thanks in advance!