Replaced HF-modified LimeSDR board is also damaged

So when using old version of LimeSuite to program your board no longer gets into “unstable state”. Is that correct? Programming is done the same way on both versions of LimeSuite only FW/GW version flashed by auto-update are different. Update should install FW and GW that were tested to work with that LimeSuite version, so not being able to receive anything suggest that there may actually be something wrong with the board.

Yes, I no longer got errors during probing the device with that old version of LimeSuite. But maybe it is because these error messages simply weren’t displayed on stderr/stdout in this old version and the actual issue is still there? Hard to say from my point of view.

And it looks like it indeed works like that, I can see different FW and GW numbers being installed for these two versions of LimeSuite.

I believe so. But I probably should be more precise about “not being able to receive/transmit anything”: in GNURadio Companion I am able to run simple graph with UHD Source and FFT/Scope Sink, it’s just that the received spectrum or time course doesn’t show the signals which I know are there (e.g. I am transmitting them via other device such as USRP). So I am actually getting some samples, it’s more like setting the RX/TX frequency doesn’t work like it should in this old LimeSuite version. The same applies for custom SoapySDR-based application, which in normal conditions should transmit and receive some bursts via LimeSDR itself.

Anyway, @andrewback has contacted me in order to send back the faulty board, so I hope things will become clearer when you guys will have the possibility to actually see the problem ;). But for now, thank to all of you for your help!

Since i have similar problem I will post here.
I found something interesting.
https://community.cypress.com/thread/27549?start=30&tstart=0
There is FX3 loopback test attached:
https://community.cypress.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/122338-26247/FX3USBnoise3.zip
I used this to upload the image to ram. Remove FX3 jumpre reset chip an load image with cyfwprog available here:
http://www.cypress.com/file/138806/download
Run test FX3USBTest.
It seems like communication problem between PC and cypress.
@IgnasJ can you comment on that? Is that the root of all problems?

Hi,
sorry, but I did not understand your problem. Could you explain it in more detail.

If you are speaking about problem experienced by ccsh, then that problem does not look like it is in communication between PC and FX3.

I did run test from cypress forum as transfer errors do occur. In my board i have [ERROR] Read(64 bytes) failed and [ERROR] Write(64 bytes) failed errors when I do LimeUtil --timing. LimeUtil --update however works fine.

EDIT:
also problems are more severe when device is cold. If it is powered for few minutes and gets warm it sometimes works.

I think it may be that when you remove the inductor, the static electricity on the soldering iron damages the parts on the board. If you want to continue dismantling the inductance of your next circuit board, the recommendation is: Solder the soldering iron reliably and ground it. Another method is to use a knife to cut the inductor and use tweezers to remove the cut copper wire. This will make it easier.