OpenAirInterface enb unresponsive on Limesdr

hi,
i have been following myriadrf limesdr specific guide for OAI and also looking at multiple solutions available in this forum. i am getting 2 issues

1. sudo -E ./run_spgw crashes with “ERROR in loading gtp kernel module” & " Initializing GTPv1-U ERROR"
    i did perform the lowlevel kernel installation but it didnt fix this issue

2. lte-softmodem.Rel14 just stays at “Entering ITTI signals handler” with limesdr acting as it isnt attached at all. (when i disconnected it same log appeared)

Lime is connectable via the suite, uhd_find_devices, and LimeUtils.
attached is the log

hannan@hannan:~/LTE/openairinterface5g$ sudo ./targets/bin/lte-softmodem.Rel14 -O targets/PROJECTS/GENERIC-LTE-EPC/CONF/enb.band7.tm1.25PRB.lmssdr.conf --rf-config-file targets/ARCH/LMSSDR/LimeSDR_above_1p8GHz_1v4.ini

[CONFIG] get parameters from libconfig targets/PROJECTS/GENERIC-LTE-EPC/CONF/enb.band7.tm1.25PRB.lmssdr.conf , debug flags: 0x00000000
[CONFIG] function config_libconfig_init returned 0
[CONFIG] config module libconfig loaded
[LIBCONFIG] config: 1/1 parameters successfully set, (1 to default value)
/dev/cpu_dma_latency set to 0us
[LIBCONFIG] log_config: 4/4 parameters successfully set, (4 to default value)
[LIBCONFIG] log_config: 38/38 parameters successfully set, (38 to default value)
[LIBCONFIG] log_config: 38/38 parameters successfully set, (38 to default value)
Reading in command-line options
Getting ENBSParams
[LIBCONFIG] (root): 2/2 parameters successfully set, (0 to default value)
[LIBCONFIG] list RUs not found in config file targets/PROJECTS/GENERIC-LTE-EPC/CONF/enb.band7.tm1.25PRB.lmssdr.conf
Configuration: nb_rrc_inst 1, nb_L1_inst 1, nb_ru 0
[LIBCONFIG] loader: 2/2 parameters successfully set, (2 to default value)
[LIBCONFIG] loader.NB_IoT: 2/2 parameters successfully set, (1 to default value)
[LOADER] library libNB_IoT.so is not loaded: libNB_IoT.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
nb_nbiot_rrc_inst 0, nb_nbiot_L1_inst 0, nb_nbiot_macrlc_inst 0
[LIBCONFIG] TTracer: 4/4 parameters successfully set, (4 to default value)
configuring for RAU/RRU
CPU Freq is 3.408310
ITTI init
reported resolution = 1 ns
Before CC
Runtime table
NO deadline scheduler
[LIBCONFIG] eNBs.[0].NETWORK_INTERFACES: 3/3 parameters successfully set, (0 to default value)
ITTI tasks created
[LIBCONFIG] NETWORK_CONTROLLER: 6/6 parameters successfully set, (6 to default value)
Wait for the ITTI initialize message
XFORMS
[LIBCONFIG] L1s.[0]: 9/9 parameters successfully set, (7 to default value)
Initializing northbound interface for L1
[LIBCONFIG] MACRLCs.[0]: 21/21 parameters successfully set, (17 to default value)
sched mode = default 0 [default]
[LIBCONFIG] eNBs.[0]: 14/14 parameters successfully set, (8 to default value)
RRC 0: Southbound Transport local_mac
[LIBCONFIG] eNBs.[0].component_carriers.[0]: 107/107 parameters successfully set, (47 to default value)
phich.resource 0 (ONESIXTH), phich.duration 0 (NORMAL)
[LIBCONFIG] eNBs.[0].srb1_parameters: 6/6 parameters successfully set, (0 to default value)
[LIBCONFIG] eNBs.[0]: 14/14 parameters successfully set, (8 to default value)
[LIBCONFIG] eNBs.[0].mme_ip_address.[0]: 4/4 parameters successfully set, (0 to default value)
[LIBCONFIG] eNBs.[0].SCTP: 2/2 parameters successfully set, (0 to default value)
[LIBCONFIG] eNBs.[0].NETWORK_INTERFACES: 5/5 parameters successfully set, (0 to default value)
[LIBCONFIG] eNBs.[0].NETWORK_INTERFACES: 3/3 parameters successfully set, (0 to default value)
[LIBCONFIG] loader.coding: 2/2 parameters successfully set, (1 to default value)
[LOADER] library libcoding.so successfully loaded
NFAPI MODE:MONOLITHIC
START MAIN THREADS
RC.nb_L1_inst:1
Initializing eNB threads single_thread_flag:1 wait_for_sync:0
wait_eNBs()
Waiting for eNB L1 instances to all get configured … sleeping 50ms (nb_L1_inst 1)
RC.nb_L1_CC[0]:1
eNB L1 are configured
About to Init RU threads RC.nb_RU:0
wait RUs
ALL RUs READY!
RC.nb_RU:0
ALL RUs ready - init eNBs
Not NFAPI mode - call init_eNB_afterRU()
pcfich_reg : 0,12,25,37
ALL RUs ready - ALL eNBs ready
Sending sync to all threads
TYPE TO TERMINATE
Entering ITTI signals handler <---- just stays here with no response

below is the output for reference that limesdr is properly connected

hannan@hannan:~/LTE/openairinterface5g$ uhd_find_devices

[INFO] [UHD] linux; GNU C++ version 5.4.0 20160609; Boost_105800; UHD_3.11.0.git-776-gdca39145
– UHD Device 0
Device Address:
serial: 0009060B00472728
addr: 1d50:6108
driver: lime
label: LimeSDR-USB [USB 3.0] 9060B00472728
media: USB 3.0
module: FX3
name: LimeSDR-USB
type: soapy

LimeSuite Version 18.06
Ubuntu 16.04

MME & HSS are working with connected enbs = 0

Right, so this looks like it’s completely unrelated to LimeSDR hardware. Given you have this issue and unless someone replies with remedies for (2), I would suggest posting to the OpenAirInterface list/forum.

For part 1 will post here if i find a solution at OAI/forum. The 2nd part is still an issue and i am hoping for a solution !!

thanks in advance !!

Hi Hannan,

1. This means that your kernel version is too old - you need at least 4.7. Anything lower will simply not work, as the GTP module doesn’t exist in earlier versions.

2. I assume you’re using the develop branch? Unfortunately the documentation is wildly out of date, especially for the LimeSDR. The configuration file is missing a few sections that are required for the newer OAI versions. You can follow the instructions in this thread to get it up and running (click “I am not a spammer”, then go to the link again, as the button will redirect you to the home page): https://lists.eurecom.fr/sympa/arc/openair5g-user/2018-08/msg00089.html. Although I still can’t get any UEs to connect to the eNB, it does actually start up and broadcast.

Hope that helps!

Itrue ,

thanks for the Fix !!

1. i am using 4.4 so will update that

2. Even though shifting from the develop branch to master branch seems to fix the current problem and limesdr connects it gives multiple issue after that… i will try using your method and hope it fixes the issue without other probs!