Mundane, but... It Works!

I’ve been eagerly reading all information I could find on the LimeSDR (USB model), in anticipation of some day using it as the control component of an HF/VHF/UHF rig. My Micro B USB LimeSDR arrived yesterday, and I am delighted to report that it works! Yes, I know that’s hardly thrilling to all of you who’ve been using yours for ages, but given the apparent number of people having issues, I thought I’d note that one relative SDR rookie is up and running.

Installed it in the QRP-Labs Luftek enclosure, seems to run cool even before I’ve soldered in the fan pins (and LED connections). I have yet to figure out all the optimal settings, but here’s what I can report:

So far, on my Mac, CubicSDR gives me lots of noise but discernible signal on broadcast FM; GQRX is not happy with my settings and crashes.
On my PC, Lime Suite works; CubicSDR same as on Mac; GNURadio I haven’t figured out; GQRX doesn’t crash but also does not respond; SDRConsole(v3) is working beautifully; as is SDR# with the LimeSDR plugin.

Obviously I’ll need to get my settings right for a couple of these programs, and I’m on a different continent right now so don’t have my Linux box with that software at hand, but thus far I like what I’m seeing. I’m comparing the LimeSDR to a couple of RTL-SDR dongles and an Airspy HF+. No numbers to put up, just happiness in “It works!”
waldemar

Glad to hear you are up and running!

For Gqrx try “other” for the hardware type and “driver=lime,soapy=0” for the device string.

Funny: I’ve done that several times, both “driver=lime,soapy=0” and “soapy=0,driver=lime”, as some had reported it makes a difference. And of course, this time it worked (at least on PC - will try the Mac later), probably because Andrew had told it to behave, or some other form of cyber sorcery. Hate it when that happens…

Anyway, now to expand my horizons even further.
waldemar

1 Like

In my experience computers just like to make us look silly. The situation could have easily been reversed, with my computer misbehaving and then upon you telling me to do what I’d been doing, it suddenly started to play nice.

Enjoy!

…and I have never used SDR, but I am interested in just that.
Thanks for the shout!

K7TUM
Loc: CN87na