MCU error 3 (SXR tune failed) on LimeSDR USB

Apparently, the error (with the master branch) isn’t reproducible right now (the device was connected to my computer for a while and maybe heated up meanwhile when I tried again and couldn’t reproduce it). But the error definitely was there earlier and I could reproduce it by switching between version 20.01.0 and the git master branch back and forth several times earlier.

I had the following setup:

SoapySDRKwargs args = {};
if (SoapySDRKwargs_set(&args, "driver", "lime")) { /*...*/ }
SoapySDRDevice *device = SoapySDRDevice_make(&args);
SoapySDRKwargs_clear(&args);
if (SoapySDRDevice_setBandwidth(device, SOAPY_SDR_TX, 0, 11563000)) { /*...*/ }  // or 11563001, see my comment above
if (SoapySDRDevice_setFrequencyComponent(device, SOAPY_SDR_TX, 0, "BB", -3975e3, NULL)) {
if (SoapySDRDevice_setAntenna(device, SOAPY_SDR_TX, 0, "BAND2")) {
if (SoapySDRDevice_setGainElement(device, SOAPY_SDR_RX, 0, "PAD", 52.0)) {
if (SoapySDRDevice_setGainElement(device, SOAPY_SDR_RX, 0, "IAMP", 0.0)) {
if (SoapySDRDevice_setupStream(device, &stream, SOAPY_SDR_TX, SOAPY_SDR_CF32, NULL, 0, NULL)) stream = NULL;
if (!stream) { /*...*/ }
if (SoapySDRDevice_activateStream(device, stream, 0, 0, 0)) { /*...*/ }

Kind regards,
Jan

The error ("Tx Calibration: MCU error 5 (Loopback signal weak: not connected/insufficient gain?)") just occurred again after having the device disconnected for a couple of minutes. It’s too early to deduce a pattern here though.

Seems to be a temperature issue. When the device is connected for a while it works. Disconnecting and reconnecing it shortly after also causes no problem. But disconnecting the device for half a minute or longer will lead to the error unless I wait for a while again.

I will do further tests at some later point to see if the problem is generally solved when the device has heated up. (But in either case it’s still a bit spooky.)

Update:

Meanwhile I also found a scenario where I get the original ("[ERROR] Tx Calibration: MCU error 3 (SXR tune failed)") with the current git version 1b0309b385547db64ef116618c774c8ce62de0d5:

SoapySDRDevice_setFrequency(s->device, SOAPY_SDR_TX, 0, 28000e3, NULL);

with PAD set to 52.0 and IAMP set to 0.0 gives me:

[ERROR] Tx Calibration: MCU error 3 (SXR tune failed)

And waiting for the device to heat up (when the other error vanishes) doesn’t help. No idea what’s going on. :sob:

Question: Has anyone successfully operated the LimeSDR Mini on frequencies below 30 MHz without a too-low bandwidth (which would cause massive attenuation), and if so: How is your setup and initialization sequence? Do you use or skip calibration?

Hello @DL9JBE,

Could you share register dump, please.

Hi all,

I received a new LimeSDR Mini, so I was able to compare different hardware units to rule out any hardware issues.

These are my results:

The following behavior was reproducible with the new hardware (which has a metal casing, room temperature was about 22°C), both with LimeSuite-20.07.2 and the master branch (3858ed79b95a040145629f95bcaa75e1ea623c6d):

A bandwidth of 11563001 Hz or higher yields an [ERROR] Tx Calibration: MCU error 3 (SXR tune failed).

When I use the old device, I occasionally get [ERROR] Tx Calibration: MCU error 5 (Loopback signal weak: not connected/insufficient gain?) when I sent a bandwidth of 11563000 Hz.

So the MCU error 5 seems to be related to my old hardware (which has no metal casing or heat sink, while the new hardware is in metal casing). The MCU error 3 is an independent issue that occurs with both hardware units and with both LimeSuite versions (20.07.2 and master).

My test setup:

#include <SoapySDR/Device.h>
#include <SoapySDR/Formats.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv) {
  SoapySDRDevice *device;
  SoapySDRStream *tx;
  SoapySDRKwargs args = {};
  if (SoapySDRKwargs_set(&args, "driver", "lime")) abort();
  device = SoapySDRDevice_make(&args);
  SoapySDRKwargs_clear(&args);
  if (SoapySDRDevice_setSampleRate(device, SOAPY_SDR_RX, 0, 384000)) abort();
  if (SoapySDRDevice_setBandwidth(device, SOAPY_SDR_TX, 0, 11563001)) abort();  // 11563000 works with new hardware
  if (SoapySDRDevice_setFrequencyComponent(device, SOAPY_SDR_TX, 0, "RF", 33e6, NULL)) abort();
  if (SoapySDRDevice_setFrequencyComponent(device, SOAPY_SDR_TX, 0, "BB", 0, NULL)) abort();
  if (SoapySDRDevice_setAntenna(device, SOAPY_SDR_TX, 0, "BAND2")) abort();
  if (SoapySDRDevice_setGainElement(device, SOAPY_SDR_TX, 0, "PAD", 52.0)) abort();
  if (SoapySDRDevice_setGainElement(device, SOAPY_SDR_TX, 0, "IAMP", 0.0)) abort();
  if (SoapySDRDevice_setupStream(device, &tx, SOAPY_SDR_TX, SOAPY_SDR_CF32, NULL, 0, NULL)) tx = NULL;
  if (!tx) abort();
  if (SoapySDRDevice_activateStream(device, tx, 0, 0, 0)) {
    fprintf(stderr, "activateStream error: %s\n", SoapySDRDevice_lastError());
    return 1;
  }
  if (SoapySDRDevice_deactivateStream(device, tx, 0, 0)) fprintf(stderr, "Could not deactivate stream!\n");
  if (SoapySDRDevice_closeStream(device, tx)) fprintf(stderr, "Could not close stream!\n");
  if (SoapySDRDevice_unmake(device)) abort();
  return 0;
}

Do I need to update the firmware of the old hardware unit? If yes, how can I do it?

@Zack: I would like to provide one, but I don’t know what that is and how I get one. What do I need to do to get a register dump?

Connect to the board using LimeSuiteGUI and use “Save” button.

I wasn’t sure if I should do it after or before using my test program above, so I did both. Here are the respective files for the old and new hardware:

Note that my test was done on FreeBSD (with the USB reset omitted yet, we’re still working on fixing that for FreeBSD). If necessary, I can repeat them on Linux.

Amendment:

When I let the test program run, the LimeSuiteGUI was closed. I ran the test program (that caused MCU error 3), then started LimeSuiteGUI afterwards, connected to the board, and saved the dump.

If I need to keep LimeSuiteGUI open during the test, let me know, please. I would then redo the dump (in whichever way needed).

Maybe someone can try to compile my C test program and check if the error is reproducible. I made it available for download (click here to download).

I compiled it with: cc -o limetest -Wall -g -o limetest -I /usr/local/include -L /usr/local/lib limetest_2020-09-01_1134Z.c -lSoapySDR

Note that on error, the program will just abort (and write a core dump). That’s the output if I run the code:

% ./limetest 
[INFO] Make connection: 'LimeSDR Mini [USB 3.0] 1D589769035A75'
[INFO] Reference clock 40.00 MHz
[INFO] Device name: LimeSDR-Mini
[INFO] Reference: 40 MHz
[INFO] LMS7002M register cache: Disabled
[INFO] RX LPF configured
[INFO] Filter calibrated. Filter order-4th, filter bandwidth set to 11.563 MHz.Real pole 1st order filter set to 2.5 MHz. Preemphasis filter not active
[INFO] TX LPF configured

Could anyone please let me know if I’m the only one facing this behavior? I have tested it already with different hardware units. Compiling and running the program should be easy to do.

I get the same error

1 Like

Thanks a lot for testing. This shows that it isn’t just a problem with my computer or particular hardware units but a general problem.

Assuming my initialization is correct (not sure where I could have made a mistake?) this is a big problem when I want to transmit on frequencies below 30 MHz: Either the TX filter bandwidth is too small and I have to deal with massive unwanted attenuation, or the TX filter bandwidth is too big such that calibration fails (unless the error is bogus?)

Now I wonder on which layer this problem is. Is it a problem of the LimeSDR Mini’s firmware? In particular, has anyone ever successfully sent out signals below 27 MHz, for example, that are reaching 7 dBm without skipping calibration? Or is this “just” a problem of the SoapySDR driver or maybe only the C/C++ interface?

I just double checked everything, and I did find an error indeed. It should have been

SoapySDRDevice_setSampleRate(device, SOAPY_SDR_TX, 0, 384000)

instead of

SoapySDRDevice_setSampleRate(device, SOAPY_SDR_RX, 0, 384000)

You can download the corrected C file here. However, the error is the same:

[INFO] Make connection: 'LimeSDR Mini [USB 3.0] 1D589769035A75'
[INFO] Reference clock 40.00 MHz
[INFO] Device name: LimeSDR-Mini
[INFO] Reference: 40 MHz
[INFO] LMS7002M register cache: Disabled
[INFO] Filter calibrated. Filter order-4th, filter bandwidth set to 5 MHz.Real pole 1st order filter set to 2.5 MHz. Preemphasis filter not active
[INFO] TX LPF configured
[INFO] Filter calibrated. Filter order-4th, filter bandwidth set to 11.563 MHz.Real pole 1st order filter set to 2.5 MHz. Preemphasis filter not active
[INFO] TX LPF configured

Note that the filter now gets calibrated twice. But the MCU error 3 is still occurring.

Side note: If I set the sample rate later in the process, the filter gets calibrated just once (but the sent out signal isn’t correct, as I discovered in a different context). Again, I’m missing documentation about proper initialization using the SoapySDR C API :disappointed:

But in both cases I get “MCU error 3 (SXR tune failed)” :weary: