MAC Install Problems

I have the feeling that not many users are using an Apple MAC for SDR development and testing using the LimeSDR.
I have spent better than two work days trying to get LimeSuite to install on one of my Macbook Pro units. One unit installed successfully. The second…no love.
I may be that the second unit had several Python versions installed…don’t know.
I used the same method on both, ‘pothos and homebrew’:
* brew tap pothosware/homebrew-pothos
* brew update
* brew install limesuite
and verified the dependencies. However, the install was unsuccessful, with 2 errors with ‘libtiffxx’.

I decided to delete the /usr/Limesuite folders and try the unix installation method. Here, I had the same problem with an unresolved ‘include’ that was noted in an earlier ‘MAC’ thread. I edited the two header files to point to the right include and redid the ‘cmake’ and ‘-j4’ which proceeded without the error but the binary file failed to build.

I feel like I need to back everything out, even remove all my python installations, homebrew installations and any other remanents but I don’t know what I should be backing out.

I would love to hear from other MAC users about their experiences and ‘best practices’ to install the LimeSuite application.

BTW, LimeUtil works fine on both and can find the LimeSDR with the --find argument. This tells me that the USB drivers are fine on both MACs…

Hi commgrp

I am pretty much at the same stage as you are now. Also would really like to do a compile from git.

After I fixed the libusb includes, and then finally got wxWidgets installed I can do a cmake without error, promising to build the LimeSuiteGUI.
The make -j4 runs to 100% but I then get 2 make errors.
Will post what I have shortly

Graham

Using OSX Sierra 10.12.5

make -j4 will make it all the way through (but will show the same linking error shown below) and then
sudo make install gives this:

[ 41%] Linking CXX executable …/bin/LimeSuiteGUI
Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
“operator<<(std::__1::basic_ostream<char, std::__1::char_traits >&, wxString const&)”, referenced from:
lms7002_dlgVCOfrequencies::OnSaveFile(wxCommandEvent&) in lms7002_dlgVCOfrequencies.cpp.o
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
make[2]: *** [bin/LimeSuiteGUI] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/LimeSuiteGUI.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

getting a bit lost now - any ideas?

Hello Andrew,

I need your help ! I received my limesdr today.
I have a Mac OS. I followed the instructions given on the web site : http://wiki.myriadrf.org/Lime_Suite

I can launch successfully LimeSuiteGui and connect to the LimeSdr. I also updated the firmware on the LimeSDR (LimeSuiteGui / Modules / Programming).

However, when I run the commande “SoapySDRUtil --info” on the terminal, it says that no module is found (see below). Could you help me with that ?

Best regards,

Nolwenn

######################################################

Soapy SDR – the SDR abstraction library

######################################################

Lib Version: v0.5.2-unknown
API Version: v0.5.1
ABI Version: v0.5-2
Install root: /opt/local
No modules found!
Loading modules… done
Available factories…null,

Hi @Nolwenn, looks like you must be missing some dependencies and so the hardware support modules are not getting built. I’m not a Mac user, but someone else here may be able to assist.

For your information, I failed to make the LimeSDR work with my MacBookAir. I installed a Windows partition on my MacBook Air, but it still did not work.

Finally, I installed Ubuntu with a VirtualBox on my windows partition, and now it finally works…

With Mac you are more on your own, in that we obviously don’t have packages and AFAICT less people use Macs with their LimeSDR boards. However, Windows should work and the Pothos SDR Development Environment installer, which bundles Lime Suite and a selection of useful apps, was updated in June.

On Windows you need to install the drivers:

And PothosSDR DE:

http://downloads.myriadrf.org/builds/PothosSDR/

Add at least one more Mac user - eagerly awaiting my shinny new Lime USB.

1 Like