LimeSuite Application Development Environment

I’ve recently picked up a Lime SDR Mini. It’s working pretty good for me so far. My day job is as an FPGA programmer with some background in software defined radios. So, naturally, I liked the Lime’s ability to reprogram the Alterra.

So, now that I have a pretty good setup configured:

1. Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
  2. GNU Radio 3.7
  3. LimeSuite

I have a couple questions about development environments that I could use some advice with. If this has already been discussed somewhere then please point me there and accept my apologies.

One of the first things I did was get all the development tools installed so that I could “touch” all the components in the “mini”. This includes the FPGA gateware, embedded NIOS code, and hosted code interface (i.e. GNU Radio or LimeSuite applications). I’ve been able to re-compile the FPGA with superficial changes just to convince myself that the entire tool chain was working properly

What I’m really trying to figure out is a way to develop with LimeSuite but use something like eclipse as a project development environment. Remember, I’m more of an FPGA guy than a software developer. I downloaded the LimeSuite project from GIT and used cmake to build and install the software applications like LimeUtil and LimeQuickTest. I created a new directory called QuickTest2 and modified the main cmake file to include this new directory. It then included the new “QuickTest2” during the next compile which worked properly. I wanted to know if there was a better way to create a project that did not required re-compiling the entire LimeSuite project but was able to easily reference all the necessary files. Kind of like a library.

How do you develop new applications using the LimeSuite library of routines?

Anyway, I’d appreciate any advice you have… And remember, I’m just a hardware guy trying to get all these software components to work.

Ok, quick update. I answered most my questions. Just the fear of ridicule from others kept me searching. I have since found how to reference /usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib for the necessary library references. I know, should be simple enough. Oh, and also libLimeSuite.so has to be referenced as “LimeSuite”. Seems simple enough but when you don’t do this stuff every day the little things mess you up.

1 Like