LimeSDR Mini v2.2 for Dummies

For those new to Lime SDRs, please can you provide links to all the relevant websites about setting up a LimeSDR Mini v2.2. From taking out of box, installing drivers, updating firmware, minimising spurious, correctly setting gain and getting it to work with SDR applications.

I have got mine working with SDR Console, but am not sure I did everything correctly and getting the best from the SDR.

My aim is to use it with an LNA, PA and steerable 2m/70cm Yagis for satellite use. I’m hoping it can be used for serious comms and not just as a toy or learning tool. First experience is the spurs are numerous and high and make reception near to noise floor difficult.

Please help me get the best from my LimeSDR Mini v2.2 !

Peter M0LNB

I have first version of LimeSDR Mini and hope that my experience will apply on v2.2 also. On my Mini I tried all Ham radio bands from MW (AM broadcast), HF (CW, SSB, FT8, SSTV…), VHF 50-144MHz (on 144MHz - CW,SSB,FT8,MSK144,EME JT65B…) up to 432MHz ( FT8, RS44 satellite, EME Q65B…). At the moment I’m building 1.296GHz dish antenna for EME. Most important for VHF and UHF is first LNA next to antenna plus very good BPF (because high bandwith up to 3.8GHz A/D will pick up all surrounding strong signals, specially 4G on 800MHz are nasty) and good LPF for final PA. Because separate RX-TX ports I’m using two coax cables and only one RF high power relay (switching is done by GPIO and voltage level translator). To reduce A/D noise use smallest possible sample rate (192KHz in my case for VHF and UHF, up to 2Mb/s for HF). For HF you will need very good BPF with high attenuation up to 100+MHz (FM broadcast band with high KW transmitter) because Mini up convert HF frequency in to 30-60MHz range.
Good luck with your LimeSDR Mini v2.2

Thanks for the detailed reply Goran, that all makes sense. I will be trying downloads from S-band TT&C soon, which is too high for the RSPduo, so I will be comparing the Lime with Pluto. Filtering makes sense, LNA and optimising the ADC.

Peter M0LNB