LimeSDR installation from source

We faced some problem in installing the LimeSDR driver using packages, the problem was resolved by installing the driver from source code. I am sharing the steps to build the LimeSDR from source, so that, anyone going through the same issue can have a solution.

Following steps describe the steps required to build the LimeSDR from source in an Ubuntu 16.04 platform. LimeSDR requires CMake-3.8.2 package as a prerequisite. Hence, I will describe first the steps of installing the CMake-3.8.2 package which will be followed by the steps of building the LimeSDR from source.

Install CMake-3.8.2

1. Uninstall and remove previous cmake (if any) using the following commands
    < sudo apt-get remove --auto-remove cmake> and <sudo apt-get purge --auto-remove cmake>

2. Download a new version of cmake, run the command < wget http://www.cmake.org/files/v3.8/cmake-3.8.2.tar.gz>

3. Unzip the package, < tar -xvzf cmake-3.8.2.tar.gz>

4. Accessed the cmake-3.8.2 directory, < cd cmake-3.8.2>

5. Compile the package using, <./configure>

6. Now run the < make> command

7. Then run < sudo make install> to install cmake

8. Run the < PATH=$PATH:/usr/bin/> to add the cmake command to the path.

Build LimeSDR from source code

1. Run the < sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa :myriadrf/drivers> in the a directory where you want to install the package

2. Then update packages using < sudo apt-get update>

3. Use < sudo apt-get install git g++ cmake libsqlite3-dev> to install the core library

4. Then use the command, < sudo-apt-get install libsoapysdr-dev libi2c-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev>, followed by

5. < apt-get install libwxgtk3.0-dev freeglut3-dev>

6. Now clone the git repository using < git clone https://github.com/myriadrf/LimeSuite.git>

7. Go to the < LimeSuite> directory. Then make a director named ‘builddir’ and go to that directory using this command <mkdir builddir && cd builddir> to complete the build process

8. Now run <cmake …/>

9. Once that process is complete, run < make -j4>

10. To install the files, now run < sudo make install>

11. After the files have been installed, change directory to < LimeSuite/udev-rules> and run this command < sudo ./install.sh>. LimeSDR should be now successfully installed.

Thanks,
Moshiur

1 Like

…And the same procedure should hold true for Ubuntu 17.xx and onward, too. Thanks for posting this - this should be a ‘sticky’ post that stays at the top along with initial driver installation, too.

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Thanks for sharing these! However, on:

The minimum required version, as per CMakeLists.txt, is 3.1.3. The cmake packages in the 16.06 Ubuntu repos are 3.5.1. With an older Ubuntu release I remember adding a cmake PPA to get more up-to-date packages for this, but that or building it from source shouldn’t be required with Ubuntu 16.04.

1 Like

@andrewback - Andrew,

Is there any way to put ‘sticky’ posts at the top for:

1.) Installation procedures (cypress drivers, LimeSuite, etc)

2.) LimeSDR mod for HF

3.) App installation and use

About every other week that goes by we get a post that lasts for 5 inquiry/responses about “…I can’t get my LimeSDR to work…” and the members (or me) drag out the links and post them to the thread. Seems to happen A LOT and in waves when Crowdsupply has another batch of Limes to send out to new users. Putting ‘sticky’ posts at the top would (I hope) alleviate a lot of that.

Your comments on this will be graciously read… :slight_smile:

73 de Marty, KN0CK

There is yes. We’re planning a systematic review of all the documentation and will do just that once we’ve worked this out.

1 Like

Hi @andrewback, for some reason the LimeSDR was complaining about the latest CMake version, so, I just installed the CMake-3.8.2, didn’t do much digging into it. As you mentioned, an older CMake version might work as well but I haven’t tried it.

You are welcome @martywittrock!

1 Like