LimeSDR design decisions for ruggedness

I’m just starting to learn about SDR, actually I’m pretty new to RF in general, although I’m studying for the amateur ham radio license. My main goal is HAM (7Mhz/40m,14Mhz/20m), RFID (125Khz,13Mhz) and WIFI/Radio Astronomy (5Ghz)

Anyhoo, was just comparing the USRP B200 with the LimeSDR and was curious about some of the mechanical ruggedness differences…

I’ve read many people hate the U.FL connectors, as they are delicate and not as sturdy as SMA, is there a reason why U.FL were used in the LimeSDR? Similarly USB-B connectors are pretty tough compared to USB-A, so same question.

Not form factor related, but can a GPSDO be added to the LimeSDR? I’ve read that at least on the USP B200, it can yield great precision for syncing samples from multiple receivers (for radio direction finding).

*BTW, saw a good video on the history of HAM and digital!

the connector isn’t used to connect to your antenna ( though you could )
Its used to connect to the bulkhead connector of your choice … (
You could cut the end off of a laptop wifi antenna coax and use that – im not sure what the impedance of wifi coax is, but its what i plan using. I have a bunch of silver teflon double shielded stuff and i have even soldered a pl259 to it for my current SDR (UHFSDR)

I think the coax ends are U.FL but not 100%sure until My LimeSDr arrives …

Im not planning on having my LimeSDR free floating on my bench … some kind of case is in its future. probably the case of an old PC power supply and the PC case will hold the Rf switches, amps and Odrod-X2(ubuntu Arm cortex puter)

As a side note for Lime people … i plan on using the LMS8001 !!! (hope its not going to be TOO pricey) i already have equipment for 10.368Ghz except BPF filters.