LimeRFE: Failed to open device, exiting

Hello, I am trying to do the FM Transmitter example from https://wiki.myriadrf.org/Gr-limesdr_Plugin_for_GNURadio.

The thing is that when I plug in my LimeSDR Mini, it says that the USB COM PORT is /dev/stream-2-1.
So I edited LimeRFE Control with that port. When I try to run the program, I get the following error, any idea?

Executing: /usr/bin/python -u /home/rodrirq/top_block.py

LimeSuite Sink (TX) info

##################
Connecting to device
##################
LimeSuite version: 20.10.0-myriadrf2~bionic
gr-limesdr version: 2.2.7
##################
Device list:
Nr.:0 device:LimeSDR Mini, media=USB 3.0, module=FT601, addr=24607:1027, serial=1D5898185A3503
##################
Reference clock 40.00 MHz
Using device: LimeSDR-Mini(1D5898185A3503) GW: 1.30 FW: 6
##################

INFO: device_handler::enable_channels(): SISO CH0 set for device number 0.
SISO CH0 set for device number 0.
INFO: device_handler::set_samp_rate(): set sampling rate: 2 MS/s.
INFO: device_handler::set_rf_freq(): RF frequency set [TX]: 446.094 MHz.
INFO: device_handler::set_analog_filter(): Filter calibrated. Filter order-4th, filter bandwidth set to 5 MHz.Real pole 1st order filter set to 2.5 MHz. Preemphasis filter not active
TX LPF configured
INFO: device_handler::set_digital_filter(): digital filter CH0 [TX]: 1 MHz.
INFO: device_handler::set_gain(): set gain [TX] CH0: 60 dB.
INFO: device_handler::set_antenna(): Selected TX path: Band 2
CH0 antenna set [TX]: BAND2.

LimeSuite RFE info

##################
LimeSuite version: 20.10.0-myriadrf2~bionic
gr-limesdr version: 2.2.7
##################
LimeRFE: Opening /dev/stream-2-1
init_serialport: Couldn’t get term attributes: Inappropriate ioctl for device
LimeRFE: Failed to open device, exiting
libusb: warning [libusb_exit] application left some devices open

.>>>Done

That device doesn’t sound quite right. Where do you get this from?

Yeah, it is pretty strange.
First I do:
$ ls /dev
When I plug my LimeSDR-Mini into my computer, I do the same to check which is the new device.
I expected it to be ttyUSB0 or something like this, so I don’t understand what I am doing wrong.

You own a LimeSDR-Mini and when you plug that into a USB port of your computer the usb device rules in /etc/udev/rules.d that match the USB VendorID and USB DeviceID creates a device file (e.g. /dev/stream-2-1 ) with the correct permissions and ownership that then allow user accounts other than root access to the device.

Do you also own a LimeRFE board ?

Hello, it is as you said. I don’t have my LimeSDR-Mini with me right now, so I cannot check the path of stream-2-1.
I do not own a LimeRFE board. Maybe that’s the reason? I just copied the FM Transmitter example from https://wiki.myriadrf.org/Gr-limesdr_Plugin_for_GNURadio

I’m just looking at it now, and I can see how the newly added “4.3 LimeRFE Control” section would be very confusing. There is an assumption that you know that it is a physically different device. Just skip that whole section would be my advise, after undoing any changes that you made while following it.

1 Like

Okay, now it makes sense.
I will try it tomorrow, thank you!