LimeNET-Micro Fails FPGA EEPROM Test

Lime community,
I recently started playing with my LimeNET-Micro board. I ran the LimeQuickTest, and it’s failing the FPGA EEPROM Test. What can I do to correct this error? I noticed there is a similar post for the LimeMini from a year ago, but no one replied.

pi@LimeNET-Micro:~ $ sudo LimeQuickTest
[ TESTING STARTED ]
->Start time: Tue May 21 21:42:39 2019

[ Clock Network Test ]
->REF clock test
Test results: 35020; 54242; 7927 - PASSED
->ADF4002 Test
Result: 10 - PASSED
->VCTCXO test
Results : 5154101 (min); 5154126 (max) - PASSED
->Clock Network Test PASSED

[ FPGA EEPROM Test ]
->Read EEPROM
->Read data: 00 00 00 13 03 08 04
->FPGA EEPROM Test FAILED

[ LMS7002M Test ]
->Perform Registers Test
->External Reset line test
Reg 0x20: Write value 0xFFFD, Read value 0xFFFD
Reg 0x20: value after reset 0x0FFFF
->LMS7002M Test PASSED

[ RF Loopback Test ]
->Configure LMS
->Testing using internal LMS7002M loopback
->Run Tests (TX_1-> LNA_H):
CH0 (SXR=1800.0MHz, SXT=1802.0MHz): Result:(-13.0 dBFS, 2.00 MHz) - PASSED
->Run Tests (TX_2 -> LNA_L):
CH0 (SXR=750.0MHz, SXT=752.0MHz): Result:(-13.0 dBFS, 2.00 MHz) - PASSED
->RF Loopback Test PASSED

=> Board tests FAILED <=

Elapsed time: 3.38 seconds

@ckoval7 - Corey,

I’m assuming that the LimeNet is comprised of LimeSDR hardware and toward that there have been A LOT of firmware changes to the hardware that would require you to update it. I don’t own a LimeNet, but I’m certain that there are ways to update the firmware of the underlying LimeSDR hardware such that it’s up to the latest revision and capable of passing the quick tests.

If you’ve already updated the firmware and this is still an issue, @Zack or @andrewback should be able to give you guidance on the LimeNet you have.

73 de Marty, KN0CK

‘LimeUtil --update’ seems to pull the latest firmware and work just fine, however the test result is still the same.

@ckoval7 - Corey,

Okay - try this as well. Download and install the latest LimeSuite (whether it’s for Linux or Windows). With your LimeNet plugged in, launch LimeSuite and perform (again) the programming from that interface (you will need to connect your LimeNet while in LimeSuite and then perform the automatic programming feature. Once you finish that, then close LimeSuite and perform the testing again and see how it goes. I’ve had issues where the online utility will work, but for some reason the registers are not reset and intialized correctly until you do a LimeSuite checkout - then it straightens it all out.

Again, try that and see if it makes a difference - report back either way…

73 de Marty, KN0CK

My results are unchanged. How concerning is the EEPROM issue? The radio seems to function normally, at least as far as feeding IQ data to a PC

Never seen this before and imagine @Zack can advise.

Hi @ckoval7,

It looks like first 3 bytes of EEPROM were erased for some reason. We will compile a software for EEPROM re-write for you. But it looks like it is working OK, while you updated the board successfully. You would not be able to update, while update firmware is stored in this EEPROM.

Thanks, Zack. Will the software to re-write the EEPROM be stored in the GitHub repo for LimeSuite?

Hi @Zack,

I’ve running into the same issue with the EEPROM test (same failure message) on my LimeNET Micro. I see that the GUI includes a method to flash the EEPROM, but I’m not sure what hex file to use. Is it the “build/mcu_program/calibrationsLMS7_MCU.hex” file generated when I build from source?

My results:

[ TESTING STARTED ]
->Start time: Tue Mar 22 14:12:32 2022
->LimeSuite version: 20.10.0-g1480bfea

[ Clock Network Test ]
->REF clock test
Test results: 33125; 52347; 6032 - PASSED
->ADF4002 Test
Result: 10 - PASSED
->VCTCXO test
Results : 5154123 (min); 5154146 (max) - PASSED
->Clock Network Test PASSED