LimeNET custom WiFi router

I was thinking about purchasing the LimeNET because for the longest time I’ve wanted to make a WiFi network that uses the old VHF TV band for increased range and durability.
Can a WiFi router be made using the LimeNET?
Do I program with GNURadio?
Are there any examples for WiFi that I could alter to change the frequency and bandwidth a bit?

In theory, yes.

That is one possibility.

For a GNU Radio example, see:

But what are you going to use on the other side, given that after your changes it will no longer be compatible with off the shelf WiFi hardware? It may be that you could use a LimeSDR Mini. It also may be that for your purposes and since you’d no longer have backwards compatibility anyway, you could use something much simpler than WiFi, e.g. that just creates a point-to-point link between two devices.

GNU Radio is probably the best starting point, given its popularity and number of available examples etc. If going down this road the best place to ask such questions would be the GNU Radio mailing list.

I made a similar post earlier talking about a router. I should have said this differently. I don’t want to necessarily create a router, but rather just an ethernet point to point link. How do I take the ethernet packets and re-route them into either a normal LimeSDR or the LimeNET? And then obviously transmit them with X modulation scheme (probably QAM).

Is this possible without too much complication? Is it possible in the default GNURadio without having to write code such as C++?

I am surprised I can not find anyone who is trying to do this.

Do you really want to transmit Ethernet over radio? If you settle for the IP protocol only you’re looking at considerable less effort and overhead. You still need to write code, and I don’t think it can be done just with Python. But GNU radio has ready to use TCP or UDP sinks and sources if the IP transport layer does not interest you. I wrote a short (read, less than 500 lines of code) IP only modem using GNU radio but it wasn’t exactly easy and it certainly involved C/C++. I think you may find more answers on the GNU radio mailing list regarding the usage of those TCP and UDP sinks and sources.

1 Like

I’ve consolidated your posts into a single thread.

I don’t think you must have looked very hard :slight_smile: See also e.g.:

https://www.gnuradio.org/doc/sphinx-3.7.2/blocks/networking_tools_blk.html

This is not really a LimeSDR question, in much the same way that e.g. a MySQL matter is not really a Lenovo or Dell etc. question. You should be able to take existings GNU Radio examples and if they are not using the gr-limesdr source/sink blocks for the SDR, swap out whatever they were using for these.