Lime Mini...Maybe the same old story...RF Loopback Fail

So, I’m trying to do a comprehensive report of the transmit characteristics of the LimeSDR USB (which is fine and running great - information shows up in the forum on that) and the Lime Mini (that has somehow taken a dive since the last time I used it in November). I started out checking it out on SDRAngel and it wasn’t recognized in the list (driver is good - I checked that in LimeSuite). So I decided to try to program the Lime Mini and it just hung in LimeSuite. LimeSuite can see my Mini, but it just hangs there and does not program. Yes, I am using USB 3.0 - I won’t use anything else on any SDR other than RTLs that I don’t even play with anymore since I’ve had the Limes.

So I decided to reset everything - including my i7 desktop PC - and try LimeSuite again - this time fetching the DeviceInfo. Here are the stats on that:

Device: LimeSDR-Mini
Expansion: UNSUPPORTED
Firmware: 5
Hardware: 0
Protocol: 1
Gateware: 1.18
Gateware Target: LimeSDR-Mini

So then I found the Lime Mini Quicktest and everything ran great until I got to the RF Loopback part of the test, where it failed on a SetPllFrequency: where Bit 1 was still busy.

So, at this point, what do I have…? Do I have a good Mini that just needs to be reprogrammed differently, or do I have a mighty fancy doorstop? Specs of the QuickTest are below for your inspection - please let me know where I am on this.

@Zack @IgnasJ - Any comments on this you can share with me about what’s happening with my Lime Mini…? Please let me know

Thanks es 73 - de Marty, KN0CK

Lime Mini QuickTest data follows:

->Perform Registers Test
->External Reset line test
Reg 0x20: Write value 0xFFFD, Read value 0xFFFD
Reg 0x20: value after reset 0x0FFFF
->LMS7002M Test PASSED

[ RF Loopback Test ]
->Configure LMS
SetPllFrequency: timeout, busy bit is still 1
Failed to set sample rate
->RF Loopback Test FAILED

=> Board tests FAILED <=

Elapsed time: 10.07 seconds

[ TESTING STARTED ]
->Start time: Sun Feb 24 16:28:57 2019

->Device: LimeSDR Mini, media=USB 3, module=FT601, serial=1D35488A5FC822, index=0
Serial Number: 1D35488A5FC822

[ Clock Network Test ]
->REF clock test
Test results: 22940; 36138; 49335 - PASSED
->VCTCXO test
Results : 6710956 (min); 6711117 (max) - PASSED
->Clock Network Test PASSED

[ FPGA EEPROM Test ]
->Read EEPROM
->Read data: 11 0B 03 11 0B 06 03
->FPGA EEPROM Test PASSED

[ LMS7002M Test ]
->Perform Registers Test
->External Reset line test
Reg 0x20: Write value 0xFFFD, Read value 0xFFFD
Reg 0x20: value after reset 0x0FFFF
->LMS7002M Test PASSED

[ RF Loopback Test ]
->Configure LMS
Failed to set sample rate
->RF Loopback Test FAILED

=> Board tests FAILED <=

Elapsed time: 9.93 seconds

@Zack, could you assist, please.

1 Like

The problem is most likely:

Update your FPGA gateware and try again.

1 Like

@IgnasJ - Ignas,

I’m not as familiar with the programming on the Lime Mini as I am with the LimeSDR USB and LimeSuite - I tried using that same tool (the programming tool in LimeSuite) and my Mini just hangs there - does not program no matter how long I wait for it to happen. Or do I have to use a different programming tool (JTAG?). Please let me know - I’d like to get on the road to recovery so I can take transmit measurements with the Mini for the Hams out there that plan to use either platform (USB or Mini) as the foundation for their transceiver.

Keep me advised at your soonest, Ignas - 73 de Marty, KN0CK

Just checked and GW 1.18 is so outdated that you can only program it using JTAG. Is it one of early prototype boards? Is it at least ‘LimeSDR Mini v1.1’ ? Earlier boards than that are definitely not properly supported and I am not sure if it would be worth to try updating such board.

1 Like

@Ignas - Ignas,

Yep - it was one of the prototypes that was sent to me from Lime Microsystems last year when the Mini was in pre-production and I was blogging on it early to get things rolling…So this is going to be a JTAG job to reprogram this and I’m pretty certain I’d have to buy those tools off EBay to make it happen.

@andrewback: You wouldn’t happen to have a newer production Lime Mini in your office desk drawer hanging around would you? @Ignas is saying that my Lime Mini from last year that I used for blogging is so ancient that it may not be worth programming. I’d like to get a newer Mini so I can take transmit measurements over the usable bandwidth so the Hams and others know what to expect - I did this for the LimeSDR USB on Sunday so there’d be no more guessing what to expect. Let me know if you can accommodate me for a Mini or not. The masses out there wanna know… :slight_smile:

73 de Marty, KN0CK

@ignas - Ignas,

If I were to reprogram this Mini using JTAG what would you recommend in terms of the programming interface (there are several on EBay) and the cable+connectors to use for the Mini? Also, where is the procedure and downloads to reprogram the Mini on Myriad? Please let me know if this is something I can tackle - I really want to get the info out about the transmit characteristics using SDRAngel like I did for the LimeSDR USB. A LOT of hams have been on the side watching and now that the info is out there they’re getting mobilized to build their rigs now knowing what they can expect from the LimeSDR USB. I’d like to get this going as soon as possible for the Mini, too, so please keep me advised on the above - thanks,

73 de Marty, KN0CK

@IgnasJ - Ignas,

Anything on my previous message? I’m anxious to either get the Lime Mini reprogrammed via JTAG or can I send this one back DHL and have you revive it? Keep me advised -

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Sorry, but I am not experienced with JTAG programmers, so I cannot recommend you anything. I think @Zack could give you some recommendations but he is very busy this week.

Just to clarify, is your board LimeSDR-Mini v1.1?

@IgnasJ - Ignas,

Pretty sure it is because this was one of the early models that I received from @andrewback prior to the Mini being produced in great numbers - about December of 2017 if memory serves. It would be good if @Zack can let me know if I can revive this Mini using JTAG (and what tools I would need to obtain from EBay) along with the cabling to the Mini such that I can get this going again. I’d like to characterize the transmit power over it’s operational bandwidth because there was A LOT of interest in this when I characterized the LimeSDR USB on Sunday - A lot of Hams want to know what the Mini’s TX characteristics are, too.

Thanks for the response back - 73 de Marty, KN0CK

Perhaps this thread contains what you’re looking for:

1 Like

@ricardas - Ricardas,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the link - I have the ByteBlaster on order now and have the pieces coming to fab-up a cable to the 'Mini. I think I’ll confer with Mario and get a final procedure from him since there were some twists and turns in the road getting there, but your link proved REAL valuable for me to reprogram my Mini since it truly is a V1.1 and I really need to get it to the current version of gateware. More as I have it - Stay tuned…

73 de Marty, KN0CK