Lime and Pi - why is this so hard?

LimeSuite runs. I connected to the Limemini ok.
then Modules - Program
it was in auto mode, so I just clicked program and it loaded blah… 19.04…
it seemed happy.

pihpsdr can’t find it. I keep clicking Discover but no joy.

After you get LimeSuite compiled on your Pi, I have an rtl_tcp work-alike for the LimeSDR Mini. I call it lmm_tcp. It’s here:

It allows a whole bunch of SDR apps (for Android and iOS/iPhone/iPad) that can connect via rtl_tcp to use a LimeSDR Mini plugged into to a Raspberry Pi 3 server.

Suppose this lmm_tcp can run on Lime NET micro ?

I did git clone and got the files. then tried to compile, but I may not have all the tools installed.

It is giving me errors in the compile arguements

@w0iy - Barry,

Check your email…I have PiHPSDR working with the Lime…But I’m not sure it’s coherent…More as I have it…Stay tuned…

73 de Marty, KN0CK

@w0iy - Barry,

Okay - I can CONFIRM a couple of things as of this evening:

PiHPSDR DOES NOT WORK with the LimeSDR - If I compile the master copy I can discover it and it will come up, but it’s completely incoherent (meaning, it cannot tune a frequency even when you change to the 2m and 70cm bands and use a known-good HT to get a spectra. I have to attribute this to the Lime Protocol file probably being a couple versions behind with the gateware and it can’t tune because it’s using the wrong registers - the spectra just looks like what happens when there’s a register mismatch. And certainly no HF - it has the same appearance like it’s totally incoherent for tuning.

LINHPSDR DOES WORK with the LimeSDR - I compiled LinHPSDR on my Dell i5 box with Ubuntu Bionic (18.04) and it finds the LimeSDR and it does tune it fine in the VHF and UHF bands. I confirmed this by using an HT (Beofeng) and I transmitted on 2m and 70cm and tuned it to the frequency of interest and it worked fine - received like a champ on both bands. However, John doesn’t have transmit working for the Lime so that’s a work in progress - but it does receive. It DOES NOT receive in HF…Something is wrong there (like he hasn’t worked it yet for the 30 MHz NCO). So it should work in receive from 6m to 3.8 GHz. Oddly, I cannot tune the weather frequency at 162.475 MHz (WXL71 in Cedar Rapids) and hear it…Not sure what’s happening there, but I may check that out again a little later on this evening.

In other news, PiHPSDR does work with receive and transmit with the HL2 - however, it DOES NOT work with the Red Pitaya. I tried compiling it earlier with those hooks turned on and it was a major pain in the fanny with MANY compiler errors. So I commented those out and did a ‘make clean’ and it compiled fine and worked with the HL2…but no Lime and RP.

LinHPSDR appears to work with about anything - HL2, Lime, and Red Pitaya…So that’s a good thing, but it’s not on a Pi or Pi-alike. Just my Dell on Bionic.

That’s all I have for now - Stay tuned…

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Thanks for all the work! With so many combinations of hw and sw to try, its amazing anyone gets anything to work!

So that kind of leaves Gqrx. I’ve installed it and it doesn’t see the Lime even though I made the settings changes.

I also tried the lmm_tcp hotpaw2 suggested but couldn’t get it to compile. I may not have all the right tools installed.

Barry

Finally some success to report.

1. There is a Raspbian image by PU2SPY with a lot of SDR programs loaded and precompiled. MANY thanks to Luigi. This comes with LimeSuite and SDRangel.
    See here: https://github.com/luigifreitas/pisdr-image
    the file is not on github (too big) but there are 2 mirrors available.

2. All I had to do was use the GUI file explorer and navigate to packages/sdrangel then execute.

3. It isn’t running 100mph (or kph). I set the sample rate down to 500k. Also selected antenna “Wi” on my Lime-mini.

There are some youtube videos of how to run sdrangel. The GUI is not like others. I’m still on Chapter 1 of this saga, but I’m up and running. Able to listen to local FM broadcast stations and will work on more tomorrow.

1. Both the Lime and the Pi are running VERY WARM. Pi has a heat sink. Lime will get one and then they may need a small fan.
1 Like

@w0iy - Barry,

I meant to tell you that I contacted John Melton (G0ORX) about PiHPSDR and he did confirm that the Lime is not set up with PiHPSDR but LinHPSDR was. He’s going to add it into PiHPSDR within the month and will get back with me when he does. He also confirmed there could be a gateware mismatch, too - so he’s going to look into that as well. As I type this I’m burning the image of the PiSDR that you mentioned works with SDRAngel - so I’m going to take it for a little spin with the Lime before I hit the rack…Stay tuned…

73 de Marty, KN0CK