Install Issues with LimeSDR-USB related software

I’m having issues with the install of LimeSDR-USB related software on both Windows 7 and Linux. I will limit this to the Windows issues. I installed PothosSDR. I proceeded to the LimeSDR Quick Test but could not get as far as loading the Self_test.ini file. I would get an warning window saying “Failed to load file: Write(64bytes)failed”. Just for fun, I did a save .ini and tried to read that one back in and got the same error. As such I don’t think there is anything corrupted in the ini file itself and in looking at it nothing looks out of order. Within LimeSuite I go to Module Device Info and I see Firmware 3, Hardware 4, Protocol 1, Gateware 0 and Gatware rev 0. From reading other post it appears that these last two should not read zero. I ran the same test on my Linux machine and it reported Gateware is 2 and the Gateware Rev is 6. I also ran the all the Quick Tests successfully on Linux.

On Win7 I went on to Pothos and instantiated a source and spectrogram block. When running I would get a gateware version mismatch error (expecting 2 and 6 and getting 0 and 0). It would end with SDRBlock call setupDevice threw:Exception:ResetChip() failed.

I could not get gqrx or CubicSDR to work either but won’t go into more detail here unless it is of use to someone.

On my Linux machine I went to LimeSuite and ran the Module Programming Automatic it appeared to run ok and all the revisions levels stayed the same (F3,H4,P1,G2,GR6),. Back on windows and it continues to show the gateware’s at 0.

If anyone can give me some next step, I would appreciate it. I will create a second post with my Linux problems. This is a brand new v1.4 board shipped two days ago.

Hi Dave,
I have problems with Windows 7 and Linux. On Windows 7 I installed the Lime USB driver then ran SDRConsole V3 and I was able to make it work. It is a very finicky piece of hardware to get working. I have had HackRF, RTL Dongles and Flex Radio SRDs and the Lime is the most difficult customer to deal with.

Larry in El Paso

worked for me first try …

No problems on windows 10 and Ubuntu latest version - sailed through it like does my pirate ship with a strong westerly :penguin:

Hello @DaveB,
It is very strange. Do I understand correctly:

1. When you read Device Info via LimeSuite on Win machine, you get Gateware 0 and Gatware rev 0;
  2. When you read Device Info via LimeSuite on Linux machine, you get Gateware 2 and Gatware rev 6.

Is this correct?

In any case it should read Gateware 2 and Gatware rev 6 (at this point in time).

How are you powering your board? What USB port (USB2 or USB3 are you using)? Note please that USB2 is not capable to power the board hence you have to use external power supply if you use USB2.

Ubuntu 16.04.2
LimeSuite 17.02.1
V1.4 Board
FPGA firmware
./LimeUtil --fpga=…/…/LimeSDR-USB_HW_1.4_r2.6.rbf
Connected to [LimeSDR-USB [USB 3.0] 9060B0049xxxx]
Estimated reference clock 30.7198 MHz
Selected reference clock 30.720 MHz
[100%] 555969/555969 Bytes programming: completed
FPGA boot from FLASH completed!

LMS7002M values cache at /root/.limesuite/LMS7002M_cache_values.db
Estimated reference clock 30.7197 MHz
Selected reference clock 30.720 MHz
`
########################################################
## !!! Warning: gateware version mismatch !!!
## Expected gateware version 2, revision 6
## But found version 0, revision 0
## Follow the FW and FPGA upgrade instructions:
## http://wiki.myriadrf.org/Lime_Suite#Flashing_images
## Or run update on the command line: LimeUtil --update
########################################################

(LimeSuiteGUI:3322): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_window_resize: assertion 'height > 0' failed
(LimeSuiteGUI:3322): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_window_resize: assertion 'height > 0' failed

`

./wbfm_tx.py
linux; GNU C++ version 5.4.0 20160609; Boost_105800; UHD_003.010.001.001-0-unknown

Using OpenUSRP
ConnectionSTREAM: Cannot claim interface - Resource busy
Unsupported hardware connected: UNKNOWN[HW=0]
LMS7002M values cache at /root/.limesuite/LMS7002M_cache_values.db
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “./wbfm_tx.py”, line 111, in
main()
File “./wbfm_tx.py”, line 100, in main
tb = top_block_cls(freq=options.freq, ppm=options.ppm)
File “./wbfm_tx.py”, line 39, in init
channels=range(1),
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gnuradio/uhd/init.py”, line 122, in constructor_interceptor
return old_constructor(*args)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gnuradio/uhd/uhd_swig.py”, line 3010, in make
return _uhd_swig.usrp_sink_make(*args)
RuntimeError: RuntimeError: ResetChip() failed
libusb: warning [libusb_exit] application left some devices open