How can I tell if I have factory HF mod

I have my LimeSDR V1.4. When I ordered I requested the HF mod but I see that I still have an inductor on T3 and T5.

Does this mean I didn’t get the mod or has it been modded with different value components ?

Also if it has been modded for HF, what is the compromise, what did I lose in VHF / UHF ?

@yagigain - Stephen,

The inductors on T3 and T5 have to be removed for the HF mod to be active - it appears that this didn’t get done at the factory because to the best of my knowledge they are not substituting a new inductor value in there - it just gets removed for the SHF operation. It’s not hard to do if you’re experienced with soldering - just heat up your soldering pencil and heat each side of the inductor until it begins to move and then use a small tool to whisk it aside and discard - do this for each transformer (T3 and T5).

Performance will be different in the upper UHF and SHF bands because the purpose of the inductor was to impedance match the path for that frequency range (700 MHz and up). In the HF range (2 - 30 MHz), that inductor looks like a direct short and causes the input to be severely limited - when removed, the HF band is incredibly great on the LimeSDR.

Hope this information helps,

73 de Marty, KN0CK

1 Like

Hi Marty,

So we need to remove both T3 and T5 ? I thought it was either one or the other ? If I do this, am I still left with a “standard” RX on RX2 receiver ?

btw I am interested in setting up for HF TX/RX as a remote transceiver. I live on the side of a hill about 400 Metres from the top. I have a Wifi link to the top where I have some an Airspy and FR24 streaming from. Years ago I had a Flex SDR up there running remotely, with remote antenna switching, rotator etc. Worked very nicely but an expensive toy (I sold it)…

Cheers,
Steve - VK3LMR (VK3LAD)

@yagigain - Stephen,

The original HF Mod involved the coils MN18 and/or MN26 to be removed to obtain HF capability with the LimeSDR.

There’s also a link here to show how to modify the Wideband Port, too:

Hope this additional information helps - keep me advised if you need any more info on this, Stephen,

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Hello. I am very in need of help! I have spent few weeks trying to make LimeSDR enviroment see LimeSDR hardware. As needed, I’m using Ubuntu desktop 16.04 x64 with all builded and installed dependences for OSMO-NiTB+Asteriks. But even LimeUtil (SoapySDRUtil) --find allways writes me “no devices found”. Guest additions, VBox extentions, USB3.0 in settings - all done. My host is Windows 10 x64. Drivers for Windows installed, LimeSDR was updated. In lsusb shows openmoko. But LimeUtil cant see device! So I cant run OpenBTS! Please help, I am not so good in linux. Also i cant install linux as an second boot on my PC. Only as an virtual machine. Hope and trust on urgeny help! Thanks in advance.

@LimeSDR1 - Daniil,

If your host is Windows and your client OS is Ubuntu 16.04, then the issue is with the USB connectivity with VirtualBox - You don’t have a USB 3.0 port connection between the host USB and the Virtual USB 3.0 port in the client window. When that connectivity doesn’t exist, it cannot communicate with the Windows host and run. So, until you repair that issue in your USB client (setting it to USB 3.0 and then seeing it actually connect between the two environments, nothing is going to happen. It has nothing to do with the client Linux installation, but you do have to set up all the dependencies just like you would in Windows to make it all work.

No kidding, check your client settings in VBox and then your system will work fine - I’ve done the same thing (run a Windows 10 host and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS client and it works just fine) - - But you have to have the USB settings in the virtual environment set or nothing is going to get there from the host connection/socket.

Work that and then let us know how it plays -

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Hello. Firstly, thank you very much for a fast reply! But, unfortunatly, I still cant understand how to make virtual linux see my usb device! Can you please describe in details step-by-step how to fix my problem?

@LimeSDR1 - Daniil,

First off - clean up all the SPAM you put on the forum. In nearly 3 years of watching this forum I’ve never seen anything like this. NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE spams this forum.

Until you clean up your mess I’m not going to answer your questions - go make it right by deleting your spam messages on every active thread and then I’ll be glad to help. If that ever happens again you’ll be tossed off the forum, okay? Post ONCE on a topic and allow the members, like me to answer it. DON’T GO CRAZY because you need ‘immediate help’.

73 de Marty, KN0CK

1 Like

May I record a video showimg my problem and send you to admin@myriadrf.org ?

2 Likes

Thank you Marty. I have removed the MN18 coil. I have some work to do now to get everything up and running. About all I have running is a FR24 box atm. Tower needs to come down, new coax and bunch of work.

Also have ordered a TX/RX switching circuit, RF AMP and HAM band filter network, cables and plugs … fun fun fun !

Cheers,
73s Steve VK3LMR

1 Like

@LimeSDR1, please refrain from posting the same and similar questions multiple times. Firstly, this seriously annoys people and means that they are far less likely to respond. Secondly, if you continue to do this we’ll have no option but to suspend your account.

1 Like

And again, I am sorry for spamming. I have deleted all my posts! I need a help: pls see video: https://yadi.sk/i/jA1ZAAQTxHLupA

1 Like

@yagigain - Stephen,

You are on your way - let me assure you, you’ll LOVE your Lime for multiband operation…!

73 de Marty, KN0CK

@LimeSDR1 - Daniil,

I opened the video and it gave me a black screen with some Russian text that I cannot understand - so I cannot watch your video and don’t want to at this point. PLEASE USE THE GUIDANCE BELOW - HERE WE GO…!

Okay - First off, why are you trying to use an Ubuntu client on a Windows PC if you don’t even understand how to use Linux? The whole idea behind the LimeSDR is to use the OS that best suits your application. If you are more familiar with Windows, then stick with the Windows drivers for the LimeSDR (and all this is VERY well documented below):

https://wiki.myriadrf.org/Getting_Started_with_the_LimeSDR

If you have all your Windows drivers working with the LimeSDR already under Windows, then you’re set. Just use Pothos, GQRX, GNU Radio Companion, SDRConsole V3.0, CubicSDR or whatever app you want to receive with your LimeSDR. If you need to do transmit too, then use SDRAngel - it’s a receive and transmit app.

If you’re trying to use your LimeSDR in Linux, then pull the drive from your computer, put a new one in there, and format/install Linux (Ubuntu). You cannot use an older version of Ubuntu (16.04) and then use the latest driver set that’s meant for Ubuntu 18.04 or 18.10 - IT WON’T WORK. The LimeSDR driver set resides in the LimeSuite package and it changed at the time of Ubuntu 16.04. The latest LimeSuite only works with Ubuntu 18.04 or 18.10.

You can certainly use VirtualBox as a client and install Ubuntu 18.04 or 18.10, but NOT 16.04!! the latest LimeSuite won’t even work with it. Then, you have to set the USB 3.0 between your host and the client OS (hopefully Ubuntu 18.04) and compile and compile/install LimeSuite and all the SoapySDR drivers to make it all work. Again, if you’re not an expert at Linux, then for God sake use WINDOWS 10 or WINDOWS 7 along with the appropriate drivers for the LimeSDR that I pointed to in the link above. That should give you enough instruction to get you going.

Post back when you’ve made progress on the above and remember, you SPAM this forum one more time and you’ll be on your own WITHOUT THIS FORUMS HELP BECAUSE YOU’LL BE BLOCKED.

Marty

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: OsmoBSC + Asterisk

@LimeSDR1 - Daniil,

The beauty of this forum is to use the SEARCH feature for the things you’re looking for, that being OpenBTS or similar. When you do a search on the forum requesting OpenBTS or just plain old BTS you can get NO LESS THAN 10 results for that search and likely find what you’re looking for in the process. Here’s just an example of that (see link below):

Here’s another thread about BTS that also discusses how GSM is implemented with osmoSDR (osmocom) with the LimeSDR - just about what you want to do:

I see through your posts that you get all frustrated and spout off, but you’re NOT USING THE SEARCH TOOL TO FIND WHAT YOU NEED. I’ve given you two links that will likely get you on the road to recovery, but for Gods sake, before you get frustrated and use exclamation points (!!!) GO USE THE SEARCH TOOL TO LOOK FOR WHAT YOU WANT ON THE FORUM. There is A TON of information on the very thing you’re trying to do in various parts of the LimeSDR (or other) forums.

Also, avoid using just any old thread to ask a question. If you REALLY need help with a certain topic, just post a new thread on what you need help on and see what happens. This thread is about the HF Mod and it really doesn’t apply to your needs for BTS - so please start a new thread and work it out there.

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Ok, Marty, thank you! I will check out all information on your forum abouts BTS’s. Hope that would help me with get phones to register and call+sms at least.

By the way, I guess LimeSDR has good potential. I am using 2 5dbi wi-fi antennas, the coverege is not bad, if check in carrier choose menu or at Network Monitor app (neighbour stations). Maybe I should change my current antennas to something else?

I have finally get my BTS working! Phones can register, call, sms. I’ve used guide from “user tutorials” (osmocom). I have “mixed” info from “OpenBSC+Asterisk” and “New Splits”. Instead of Asterisk, I am using osmo-mgw, its much easy and stable. I had to install some other dependences, that not mentioned in the guides. If someone wanna to repeat my work, I think I can a guide. Also, I’ve issued some troubles with “transiver shootdown”, but then I’ve installed cooler with 9v crona battery and additiinal power by USB and it works stable now. Thank you all! Signal is great, enough for about few hundreds square meters with 5dbi wi-fi antennas tx+rx.

Now I have a goal to run at least 3g internet my LimeSDR, so I can make a network for 3g walkie-tolkies radio.